8.4

1. full engine re-build (2 reports)
  3. replace valves and time tensioner chain (1 reports)
2012 Audi Q5 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Audi Q5:

2012 Audi Q5 Owner Comments

Aug 042021

Q5 Q5 Premium Plus V6

Check engine light has come on and off since purchasing the care in October 2020. We have it repaired for what the diagnosis was, but the last time while driving the car just stopped on the street. We were able to restart and make it home. The car had very low acceleration and power. Check engine light was flashing which it had never done.

I had the car towed to a repair shop.

- pbradford09, Durham, US

Oct 012020

Q5 2.0L

All of a sudden, my Q5 sputtered and when we went to take it to the repair shop, it wouldn't start. I have zero pressure on all valves. Repair shop suggested to try to talk with local Audi dealership to get this repaired. Any suggestions?

Update from Sep 13, 2021: Due to class action suit against Audi on the timing chain issue, Audi fixed the broken timing chain. They have a scale of how much they will cover but my car had low miles and within the 10 years, so most of it was covered.

- Carre B., Colorado Springs, US

Feb 222020

Q5 Premium Plus 2.0t

It is amazing to me that with the known problem with the timing chain tensioner that Audi has not executed a recall. Furthermore if an Audi dealership is reselling these vehicles then they should at least inspect this part, or at least disclose that there is a known problem.

- Paul N., Palo Alto, CA, US

Feb 112019

Q5 2.0L

I purchased this Audi at 30,000 miles. Took very well care of it and about a month ago my car wouldn't start. I was told my Audi my timing chain skipped due to the tensioner being bad. I thought it was insane that my care would have this issue considering I took well care of it and it's a 2012 with only 63,000 miles. I got in contact with a lawyer who was working with people that had issues with their VW or Audi that somewhat fell under the class action lawsuit. Long story short because my number on the tensioner didn't match the defective number, there was nothing the lawyer could do. I'm beyond pissed that I'm having to come out of pocket $4,000 on something that I COULD NOT CONTROL. I wish Audi was more helpful about this situation and realize there clearly is a defect on my vehicle.

- Kristel A., Newport News, US

Jan 102019

Q5 Premium Plus 2.0t

Catastrophic Engine Failure caused by jumped timing chain caused by defective timing chair tensioner. I purchased my vehicle on 12/03/2015 with 45,483 miles. I maintained my vehicle at independent mechanics due to the dismal service at the only dealership in town and its poor online reviews. I frequently added oil to the engine when prompted by the car.

On January 10, 2016, I left the gym and started my car. It took longer than normal to turn over, and the check engine light was illuminated. The next day, I took the car to AutoZone who pulled the P001600 DTC Code (Crank Position Sensor and Camshaft Position Sensor Correlation). I took the car to my local mechanic, who also pulled the P001600 in addition to the P02900 DTC (turbo under boost). That mechanic also heard noise from engine timing cover area and coolant seepage/leak at the water pump area. They recommended the car be towed to a specialist, which was done.

He pulled the P001600 (237) DTC code and a P0562 low voltage code. At this time, I contacted Audi of America and notified them of the issue. I was made aware of the Timing Chain Class Action lawsuit regarding the defective tensioner, but informed that my VIN wasn't covered. At their recommendation, the car was towed to an Audi dealership. All service records, oil receipts, etc were provided to Audi. Audi "declined assistance", leaving me with an undriveable car, a $750 bill from the mechanic, $55 tow bill, $150 (and growing) rental car charge, and an estimate of over $8k to re-build the engine.

- Carissa S., Colorado Springs, CO, US