2013 Audi Q5 engine problems: excessive oil consumption

Excessive Oil Consumption

2013 Audi Q5

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Audi dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Pretty Good

CarComplaints.com Notes: Consumer Reports said the 2012-14 Q5 ranks "very good" for reliability, and so far our numbers show it's hard to argue with that. Just know that you might have a tough time keeping the car straight on the highway.

7.5

2. replace engine (1 reports)
2013 Audi Q5 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Audi Q5:

2013 Audi Q5 Owner Comments

Sep 122018

Q5 Premium 2.0t

I have to add 1 quart of oil every 600 miles. The worst car I ever own. I done with Audi or VW.

- Hoang L., Centreville, VA, US

Oct 012018

Q5 Premium Plus 2.0L Turbo

Every time my car needs gas which is about every 450 -500 miles, I get a notification on my car that tells me that I need to add a quart of oil. I commute about 17 miles each way to work so this usually happens to me every 10-14 days. Super annoying.

The dealership will add the oil for me for free but I do not always take this option because they are not conveniently located. The dealership says it's normal. I didn't know that a $50,000 vehicle would have $10,000 vehicle problems. I've owned a Nissan, Daewoo, Acura and I've never had these issues. So it's not normal.

I would never purchase an Audi ever again nor would I recommend the brand to anyone. I took the car into the dealership and I'm told there's no leak and they don't see any issues. I'm so frustrated as I have finished paying for my car and would like to be car note free for a few years. Audi's are not worth the money. I'm going Lexus next time. Luxury without the luxury maintenance cost.

- Jeanna F., Violet, LA, US

May 242018

Q5

Since May, we have gone back to the dealership 3 times to add oil. Service is not due for a while, but they cannot explain what is causing the problem. Offered to do a test that would cost $150. for the first part and then we may be responsible for parts and part 2 of the test. Warranty runs out soon. They offered to keep the car to run up the mileage to add 700 miles on the car by the time warranty would expire. We did not want to leave the car that long, so we drove it home and will just continue to add oil when the light comes on. Dealer's been great and have not charged us for the oil added, but it's a real pain!!

- Dan B., Hammonton, NJ, US

Jun 072016

Q5 TDI 2.0L

It is extremely ridiculous for an 2013 Audi Q5 SUV to burn so much oil and smoke. Had the vehicle at the dealership and they told me it's normal. It feels like driving an old cheap vehicle. In addition there are so many rattles in this vehicle is unbelievable. Build quality extremely poor.

- reecebr, Cape Town, South Africa

Jul 022017

Q5 T2.0 Premium Plus

Just like others, my car burns excess oil. I have to add more 1 quart of full synthetic oil every 1000 miles. or 1/2 every 500 miles very bad, hate it!!.

- sonu222, Baltimore, MD, US

Dec 022016

Q5 Premium 2.0L T

My car started to need oil in November 2016. I added oil as soon as the engine light came on. then the next week I needed oil again so I added two quarts of oil. Then two weeks later the oil light came on again and I put another quart in. I felt that this was very unusual so I called the dealer for an appointment and took it in on December 13th. They called me the next day and told me that I needed a new engine. I have a hairline crack on the engine block and its leaking oil through the tail pipe. I just had my 2013 Q5 in for service in Sept 2016 and had to have the water pump replaced and I got a oil change. I have owned other luxury brand vehicles: 2007 Lincoln MKX, 2001 Lexus LX 470, and I have driven each of them over 150k miles and have never needed an engine. This is not right that a 2013 Audi Q5 with under 100k miles needs an engine. I have spent a small fortune to maintain the car only to have to get a engine, its not right. I see there was a class action suit with other Audi models that have a similar engine to mine. I wonder if this is the same problem in the class action suit and I have a defective engine. I'm going to look into it, this is not right to spent so much money on a brand and then have engine failure.

- Kim S., Old Bridge, NJ, US

Oct 022015

Q5 Premium 2.0t

Audi dealer knew this was an existing problem, kept the car for almost 2 weeks and told me "we" would monitor it together. I have returned twice in less than 5K to have oil added to the car. Since the original check/test each time they keep telling me it isn't an issue. No $45,000 car should consume a quart of oil ever three months for a car with less than 25,000 miles.

- Mark S., Alexandria, VA, US

May 112015

Q5 Premium Plus 2.0t

I'm not going to purchase Audi again. It's WORST CAR EVER.

- Young J., Palisades Park, NJ, US