2011 BMW 335 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 BMW 335:

2011 BMW 335 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 062021

335

The Vano Housing System bolts all broke off and fell into the engine causing sudden failure and stopping of the vehicle causing it to need to be towed. Upon some researched I learned that in 2014 BMW of North America issued a recall for 2010-2011 BMW 3 series (N55 Engine) Models for this exact defect except apparently my VIN was not included. However, clearly my vehicle should have been included because it sustained damage and could have caused me harm by sudden stoppage. The car is currently being looked at by BMW of Rockville, MD and BMW is attempting to skirt responsibility

- Washington, Dc, DC, USA

Nov 272020

335

It started may, 2017, when my 335D was idling rough and jerked as I was driving at a slow speed. I took it into crevier BMW in santa ana. The car had 53,000 miles and they said it had carbon build up on the intake manifold and #1 & 5 fuel injector. They replaced the fuel injectors and walnut blast the manifold. Swirl ports, egr and throttle housing cleaned as well. Apr, 2018 58,000 miles, faulty active tank temperature sensor replaced. Aug, 2018 60,000 miles, replaced faulty fuel injectors #2,3,4,5 and faulty cam sensor. Jan, 2019 64,000 car running rough at idle. Started using fuel injector cleaner in fuel tank. This stopped the rough idle. Car runs rough every time if I don't add the injector cleaner. March 2020 73,000 miles, intake manifold removed and walnut blast again. Replaced both faulty nox sensors. Faulty codes on air mass intake. Nov 2020 76,000 miles, faulty fuel injectors # 1,2,4, #5 glow plug, mass/volume air flow, intake temperature sensor. Did not pass smog. Took to dealer and they could not figure out what to repair to get it to pass smog. Very frustrated...

- Orange, CA, USA

Oct 162020

335

Well maintained vehicle with approximately 81,000 miles when the rod bearing broke. BMW has a record of rod bearing failures and recalls. BMW is not helping in my case and from my research there has been rod bearing failures in the same year and model as mine. I was driving when I heard knocking in the engine. I pulled over, had to be towed ajd BMW said the rod bearing went. They said it just went. Plenty of oil in the engine so it wasn't that. I was going about 60 mph when all of this happened

- Parker, CO, USA

Jun 302020

335

Vanos bolts backed out after recall service replacement completed. Vehicle went into safe mode on the freeway suddenly.

- Edmonds, WA, USA

Dec 132019

335

The contact owns a 2011 BMW 335I. While driving 55 mph, the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The contact stated that the vehicle began to hesitate and seize. The vehicle was towed to fields BMW South orlando (located at 9750 S orange blossom trail, orlando, fl 32837, (407) 956-6300) where it was diagnosed with needing the engine block replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact associated the failure with NHTSA campaign number: 14V176000 (engine and engine cooling). The manufacturer has been informed of failure. The failure mileage was 78,250.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Aug 062019

335

The high pressure fuel pump (hpfp) on this model 335is continues to fail after time. The N54 motor was initially released in 2007-2009 and then replaced with the N55. The hpfp on the 2007-2009 models have now an extended warranty due to high failure rates. BMW re-released this engine in the 2011-2013 335is models only, and they continue to have the same concern as the first set of vehicles. At 54K miles, my vehicle at highway speeds of 65mph lost power and forced me to drive across three lanes of traffic to pull over. The engine computer stated "engine loss of power, drive with caution. It may be possible to continue. Take your vehicle to the nearest BMW service facility." At 82K miles, I was driving the vehicle on a city street and the same warnings appeared again. "engine loss of power, drive with caution. It may be possible to continue. Take your vehicle to the nearest BMW service facility." Hpfp failure has loss of power, engine in "limp" mode, initial cold crank lag at startup, misfires in all cylinders, and "check engine light" illuminated.

Jul 272015

Jun 032019

335

I've had to replace the egr module to avoid catastrophic results. An identical issues resulted in a recall from BMW for diesels from other years: Https://www.consumerreports.org/car-recalls-defects/BMW-recalls-diesel-cars-and-SUVS-for-fire-risk/. however, BMW has chosen not to expand the recall to cover this engine failure in all of the diesels. It's potentially only a matter of time before this starts to show up with increased frequency.

- Kensington, CA, USA

Apr 182019

335

I was driving in a parking lot at about 5mph, and the vehicle suddenly stopped on its own while I was still pressing the accelerator. I continued to press the accelerator, but the vehicle would not move. After 3 or 4 minutes of trying to determine what the issue was, I put the car in park and restarted the engine. The car was able to accelerate once I turned the car off and restarted. If this would have happened while in traffic, it would have put many people at risk. No one was harmed because I was in a walmart parking lot traveling at 5mph when the car stalled, but I am unsure what caused this to occur. This situation seems to be related to the national highway traffic administration's recall number 14V176000, as it describes what I experienced while driving the vehicle.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Dec 122018

335

Engine seized 10 miles after oil filter housing gasket was replaced. Car has 107K miles and has been meticulously maintained. Now I'm going to have to spend from $8K-$10K for a new engine. Never received a warning light. From what I've been reading, this is not uncommon after that specific job is done and the gasket starts leaking around 100K so it is necessary to address.

- New Fairfield, CT, USA

Jul 202018

335

The vehicle continues to stahl and now the dealer said it was the high/low fuel pumps and injectors which cost more than the vehicle. I am stuck making payments this car is junk and the car needs to be recalled...... every month I have a problem since October the vehicle has been in the shop 12 times. The injectors, fuel pump I was told the catalytic converter, injectors and now fuel pump

- Bear, DE, USA

Aug 172018

335

The car is in the shop every week I have had it towed 12 times since May. I took it in for the recall (electrical issued recently) the vehicle ran great, now the dealership says I need 3 new injectors. The injectors are bad. I am reading reviews and others stated their BMW's need new injectors. So is their a recall for injectors I did not see? the car stahled while I was driving it stopped in the middle of the road.

- Bear, DE, USA

Jul 302018

335

Water pump failure occurred at 72,000 miles. Part is a costly repair, and BMW will quote $1800 to replace. Car warning on idrive system stated 'engine too hot, pull over and shut engine off.' Loss of power at potential highway speeds is a safety concern.

Apr 212018

Heater blower wiring recall

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

Mar 072018

335

Car stalled multiple times while driving. Each time it was a sudden death while driving. Every time got lucky that I was not followed by a truck and no one hit me from behind. Dealer replaced engine earlier, diesel pump and now dealer said reported all injectors failed. History: 1/5/17 - car stalled while in motion on city street - speed 30/hr 3/3/17 - car stalled again while in motion on highway - 50/hr 5/20/17 - check engine light - no stalling 5/31/17 - car stalled - on city street at red light. 2/13/18 - car stalled while driving - speed 50/hr 3/1/18 - car stalled - speed 15/hr - after stopping and starting at red light in city street. Downhill. No break. Started rolling down. Used hand brake. 3/7/18 - car stalled while driving in snow city street - speed 25 /hr repairs: 5/23/17 - egr cooler, injectors replaced 5/31 - 6/18 - car was at dealer and engine, intake manifold replaced. 2/13/18 - diesel pump replaced. 3/7/18 - car is with dealer - reports multiple injector failure

- Park Ridge, NJ, USA

Mar 072018

335

Car stalled multiple times while driving in the middle of the road while driving. Every time got luck and no one hit me from behind. Dealer replaced engine, diesel pump and now reported all injectors failed.

- Park Ridge, NJ, USA

Dec 152017

335

The belt on my car broke off and I had my car towed into the mechanic shop. Once it was looked at it was said to have jumped time and I had an engine malfunction that is a recall do to BMW. My engine is no longer working and I am left with paying a car note on a BMW that has an engine that jumped time and no longer working. This is a BMW recall and BMW should be held responsible for getting my engine replaced.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Nov 112017

335

Since I had the car at 32K miles. The vehicle would give me the low oil light way before the oil change intervals of 15K. This ultimately lead to catastrophic engine failure. It spun a cam shaft bearing. This has lead to having to replacement of he entire engine with a used one.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jun 012012

335

The contact owns a 2011 BMW 335I. While driving various speeds and accelerating, the speed decreased and the message "engine pressure reduction" appeared. In addition, while driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to niello BMW in elk grove, California where the high pressure fuel pump was replaced along with the asa bolts. In regards to the vehicle stalling, the coolant pump and the water pump were replaced. Furthermore, the dealer found a leak in the seal of the radiator and diagnosed that it needed to be replaced. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in the recalls related to the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 50,000.

- Oakdale, CA, USA

Oct 132017

335

Water pumped failed after 40,400 miles only. The car was well maintained by dealer. The age of the car is 5 years and 6 months after purchase. Water pump failed during in town driving. Speed was under 30 miles/hr.

- Edison, NJ, USA