ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2006 BMW X3 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW X3:

2006 BMW X3 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 242011

X3

The heated seat device in the passenger seat becomes hot enough to burn your leg, primarily on the left side. A burning sensation and intense heat is felt when the heated seat is turned on, making it impossible to use, for fear of burns or fire. Appears to be a common issue with these seat elements, and could cause serious burns or fire. Why is there not a recall on a serious bodily injury, safety and fire issue?

- Auburn, CA, USA

Feb 012012

X3 6-cyl

Front seat heaters become too hot on outside bolster ( left side on driver's seat, right side on passenger seat), burning hole in seat cover and burning person sitting in seat.

- Easthampton, MA, USA

Jan 112011

X3 6-cyl

Heating element for front driver seat shorted, causing it to burn through the leather. Fortunately, I caught it in time before fire or injury. Searching the internet reveals that this has occurred for many others as well, sometimes with more damaging results.

- Salem, OR, USA

Jan 292012

X3 6-cyl

Driver seat caught fire when seat warmer was engaged. Leather seat has visible burn mark. Fire burned driver. When seat warmer was disengaged, smoke began billowing from seat, filling the vehicle with smoke. Seat warmer was engaged upon vehicle start in owner's garage. Vehicle was moving approximately 10 mps (1-2 mins later) when fire began.

- Lakeway, TX, USA

Jan 132012

X3 6-cyl

After my 2006 BMW X3 had been running for about 10 minutes, with the heated seat on, I began to feel a burn in my bottom as well as smell smoke. I pulled over, got out, and noticed that the left cushion of my drivers seat was smoking and had melted about a quarter size hole in the leather upholstery. This is a common and know issue to BMW. However, they have not issued a recall. Very dangerous!!!

- Boise, ID, USA

Apr 062011

X3

The contact owns a 2006 BMW X3. The contact stated the passenger side air bag light would illuminate on a consistent basis. The vehicle was then inspected by a dealer who advised her that they would replace the seat upholstery. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 66,000.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 152011

X3 6-cyl

2006 BMW X3 heater on the drivers seat malfunctioned and burned a hole in the seat and my coat.

- Poughquag, NY, USA

Jan 052010

X3

The contact owns a 2006 BMW X3. While driving approximately 45 mph the heater on the drivers seat malfunctioned and burned a hole in the seat. As a result the driver was injured. The dealer was contacted and stated that they would not cover the repair cost because the warranty expired. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for repairs. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Winter Park, CO, USA

Dec 302010

X3 6-cyl

06 BMW X3 3.0 driver seat heater gets extrememy hot in one spot. Hot enough to cause a burn if not turned off quickly.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Nov 032010

X3 6-cyl

We were driving in cold weather and activated the seat warmers on the driver and front passenger sides when we detected an odor of something burning and smoking. We stopped and got out of our SUV and discovered a burnt hole/spot on the driver's seat, lower left seat back bolster. On taking it our BMW dealer for repair, we were told that the seat warmer was defective and that is what caused the burnt hole/spot on the seat back, I.e., "failed component 3". further we were told that our SUV was two months out of warranty, and that the cost of repair would cost $2,900. We have searched the internet and discovered similar malfunctions on bmws equipped with seat warmers. Further, we had to replace the seat warmer system on the front passenger side approximately two years ago because it too became inoperative. This is a clear case for BMW to absorb the cost of repair, since this seat warmer malfunction has a history of occurrences. Thank you for your attention regarding this case.wv

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Nov 022010

X3 6-cyl

2006 BMW X3.heated seats burned a hole on the left side of the driver seat causing burns to my left thigh.

- Forest Hills, NY, USA

Feb 052010

X3

2/5/10 smell of fire in my 2006, BMW, X3, noticed drivers seat had a burnt hole mark. I brought the vehicle to the BMW service department and the service department found a manufacturing fault in the seat, heater shorted out.

- Ossining, NY, USA