ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2006 BMW Z4 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW Z4:

2006 BMW Z4 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jul 222010

Z4

In hot weather (over 90 degrees F), after sitting in the sun, steering will bind or stick when turning. It requires more force than normal and does not return to center as easily. This makes it difficult to take corners smoothly. Situation gets better as car interior cools.

- Aiken, SC, USA

Jul 012010

Z4

The steering in my car seems a little odd at speed. The car wants to sway back and forth when traveling in a straight line. I thought it my be the road conditions but I am not totally convinced that the steering should be bad enough that you many need to slow down in order to make the necessary steering corrections at speeds of 70 mph. I know for a fact that others are experiencing the same issues as me as O have read post after post to the problem while looking for solutions. I have tried buying new tires and that seems to cut it down some but it did not get rid of what some call tramlining. I am calling it swaying as I may not know the correct terminology. I hope that you investigate this issue so that we can truly find the issue so that a fix can be put into place so that these cars are more safe.

- Auburndale, FL, USA

Apr 022010

Z4

I have had a recurring serious problem with the steering input effort, especially when hot outside. The steering seems very heavy and sticks when close to the on-center position, and is very heavy and difficult to return back to the on-center position. It is a problem that has been a concern for my wife and I now for several months. The vehicle has been in and out of service very frequently since April of 2010. It is in service for the forth time now regarding the problem with the steering. The vehicle this time has been in now for almost a month and has not been repaired yet.

- Glen Carbon, IL, USA

Apr 142010

Z4

Today I experienced a steering problem with my 2006 BMW Z-4. the outside temp was approx 86 degrees. I noticed the steering (which is electronically controlled) became very heavy and it became difficult to maintain the vehicle in the lane. Twice the vehicle jutted to the right causing me to ride on the edge of the road (hitting the grinders) - it took both hands and a tight grip to maintain center. I first noticed this problem last summer - steering is normal at cooler temps but today it was hot outside and the problem recurred. I took my vehicle to the dealer last summer and they found no fault codes, but this is a definite problem and BMW is very aware of it.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Feb 172010

Z4

BMW 2006 Z-4 3.0 si power steering unit failed to operate at vehicle start up. The car was taken to the local BMW dealer (BMW long beach ca) where the failure of the power steering unit was confirmed by the mechanic. After inspection of the unit by the dealer the unit began to operate with no further faults found, an additional three days of testing and troubleshooting by the dealer failed to identify or repeat the original fault with the unit-- no parts were replaced.

- Long Beach , CA, USA

May 302009

Z4

This concerns many BMW Z4 eps (electronic power steering) when the car set in hot weather and then I go to drive it, the steering becomes very tight and does not always return to center. Also there is a lag in steering turning or null spot of almost no response for up to one inch of steering wheel turn. This tight slug est response to is totally opposite in cool weather when there is no problem in steering response.

- Franklin, TN, USA