2016 Buick Encore engine problems: engine stopped working

Engine Stopped Working

2016 Buick Encore

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Buick dealer.

8.0

1. replace the engine (2 reports)
2016 Buick Encore engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Buick Encore:

2016 Buick Encore Owner Comments

Nov 262017

Encore 1.4L

click to see larger images

engine stopped working engine stopped working

On Sunday, November 26, 2017 I was driving back from California when my car suddenly started shaking / jerking. I began to slow down, and noticed a big puff of white smoke in my rear view mirror. A loud “bang” happened immediately and my engine completely killed out, which left me stranded on the side of the road for 3+ hours in the middle of the desert alone with my 13 year old daughter and 2 small dogs. For the first 2 hours we were stuck on the left side of the road as we were traveling in the fast lane when my engine blew.

I reported the incident to my roadside assistance through Geico immediately when this happened. I also text Tony, my service technician at Findlay Chevrolet, to let him know of the incident. He advised me to have the car towed to the dealership to be looked at in the morning. I waited for over 3 hours before finally getting a ride through Lyft, as the tow company kept telling me they were 30 minutes away every hour.

GMC replaced my engine but refused to offer me another vehicle when i expressed my discomfort and trust in the vehicle they had first sold to me. They assured me that this was a rare occurrence and that this should not happen again. I asked if they sold me a faulty vehicle to begin with, if they can promise this with more certainty now. They said they didn't just fix the engine, but replaced it. The explanation they gave me for this happening was that they aren't sure what caused it.

Despite my complete discomfort, they basically told me that the car is my responsibility and it's not their problem. I will never purchase another GMC vehicle again. I do not appreciate the way they handled this entire situation. I missed my family reunion due to this entire ordeal and my daughter is traumatized by any smoke on the roads now. It was a very traumatic event for us all, especially for her.

- Charity F., Las Vegas, NV, US

Nov 032017

Encore LX 1,4 4

OK told today by dealer Grand Prize in Nanuet NY that my baby buick needs a new engine. My question is why at only 20 k miles how can the pistons be shot ? When the dealer tells you were replacing the engine you should be happy right especially when its under new warranty right? Well im not the previous gm car was a 2010 equinox same engine eco-tech at 30K miles it started to sound like a sherman tank. After arguing back and forth and having to pay for a loaner car because chevy doesnt rate loaner car at this dealer every time the check engine light came on I got tired of putting oil in it. At 80k they finally gave me a new engine after I proved to them the car was burning 1qt of oil for every 600miles. 50K miles later this engine goes so I trade in for the Buick encore. To be honest I love this car it rides great has more than enough power for me but I;m scared am I heading down the same path as my equinox ?

- kennymac44, Congers, US