Oil Consumption

2012 Buick Verano

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Buick dealer.

6.9

2. no (1 reports)
2012 Buick Verano engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Buick Verano:

2012 Buick Verano Owner Comments

Jun 032016

Verano 4c

Bought 2012 Buick Verano in 2014 with 14,500 miles. Around 60k miles noticed that engine oil very low. Was adding 2 quarts every 2000 miles. Today in 2020 I learned about the oil consumption problem on the internet. Checked with a couple dealers in the area. After taking my VIN they said there was no recall/special coverage for the Verano, just the Equinox and Terrain. The check engine light comes on and the vehicle stalls consistently when trying to take off from a stop. The car is dangerous to drive as it often stalls in the middle of traffic. Local shop offered to make $430 repair related to codes for the engine light coming on but wasn't sure that it would fix problem. For now, I'm going to keep oil full and see if that resolves the engine light coming on and hence the stalls. Currently, this car goes through a quart of oil every week!

- Chad R., Jenera, OH, US

May 012019

Verano Limited 2.4L Ltr

Wondering why the biggest complaint on Buick Veranos is excessive oil consumption but no recalls on it like the Equinox and Terrains which are the same year and and engine?

- dstarrett, Clear Lake, US

Aug 242018

Verano Leather Package 2.4L

This has happened before..oil was almost depleted between oil changes, even though oil light never came on, but tappets were sounding! Same thing happened today..oil not registering on dipstick, even though level was at 63%. Added two qts of oil sound decreased...this was after only 4000 miles since last oil change...sticker said 134,000 miles til next oil change.

- Anne P., Brockton, MA, US

Dec 152017

Verano

my 2012 Buick Verano is using a Lot of Oil. I change the Oil as it is Suggested, and the last 3 Times I started using Synthetic Oil. 2 times I had about 3000 miles after an oil change and I Heard the Valves Clacking, checked the Oil Level, it didn't even Register on the Dip Stick. Yesterday after Driving to Nashville, Tn., I heard the Valves Clacking again, NO OIL Light. I added 2 Quarts of Oil. I took it back to the place I have my Oil changed, they looked under the Car, NO Leaks and had to add another 1/2 Quart. I Quess it's time to Trade this thing. I Love the Car but can't live with this usage.

- jack.pressey, Paris, US

Jan 012015

Verano

I have an 2012 Buick Verona that is still consuming oil - my complaint is that I have never had a vehicle use the oil that this car does, I have almost completely ran this car out of oil due to no indication that my oil is even low. I have also had to have my Catalytic Converter changed at 60,000 on a 2012, why??? (Is it because my tail pipe is coal black and I have blue smoke coming from the pipe?? Uh.... maybe burning oil??? HELLO!!!). I have worked on engines, had older cars and have never ever had the problems with any other Make of cars. According to the owner’s manual, I should be getting a notification "Oil Pressure Low-Stop Engine" I GET NOTHING!!! No light, whistles or anything!!! I do get a notification that my Washer fluid is low, fuel is low, but nothing on my OIL!!! When I took my car to the garage one time they told me my oil was almost empty and they still charged me for a full oil change, disposal fee and all (Nothing to dispose of!). When I try to say something to them I feel as if I am being completely ignored in my concerns. I am a woman, but I am not dumb, I have my A&P license and a Bachelor in Avionics and an Associate in Aviation. I do love my car but because of the service I have been receiving from Buick, I have decided that when I get rid of this car will never buy another one!!!

- Mary C., Hagerstown, MD, US

Jun 172017

Verano 2.4L

Seems that each time my oil life indicator shows 30% life left, my oil level has somehow dropped to 2.5 - 3 quarts low. This has happened the last two times I've taken the car in for an oil change. There are no leaks, as I've never seen an oil spot on the ground and our mechanic (for the last 20 years) can find no engine leaking at all. Does anyone know how or where the oil is disappearing to? I've seen other Verano owners with the same issue, but have yet to find a reasonable explanation/solution.

Update from Jun 22, 2017: On a related note, why doesn't the oil level warning light come on if the oil level is that depleted?

- sam84944, Poulsbo, US

Apr 062017

Verano

I have a 2012 Buick Verano. So far my cam has been replaced and I have backfiring when my car has been running 5-10 minutes. I brought this to the attention of the dealership. Each time they tell me they can't find it. They ran a diagnostic test which showed nothing. No they need to get in and drive the car you can clearly hear the pop. It still continues to this day. Now I'm told that my engine is burning oil. How I take care of my car. I could see this in the much older cars but a newer car? You can even smell it burning. I take care of my car.

One day, in between oil changes I heard a ticking noise in my engine. Guess what I was down 3 quarts of oil. I've been going for my oil consumption tests now several times and the last time only after 1400 miles from my oil change, I'm down 2 quarts so now they're contacting GM. GM wants proof of my oil changes. They know that they have faulty engines especially ones that don't pass inspection. I know because they had a testing site in Buffalo and the people that worked there got their contract pulled from GM because out of 1,000 engines 0 (ZERO) passed. So they go ahead and install these engines hoping that they won't show any issues until after the warranty so now it's the consumers problem. Sad and horrific to know that this is true. I will never buy another GM. Now I'm fighting to get my problem fixed, why do I have to fight for this it's a known problem. So here I am an honest consumer getting screwed over but a car company.

- Renee L., Buffalo, NY, US

May 142016

Verano 3.2L

Had problems with oil levels back in 2013, along with noise and hesitation. They ended up replacing the fuel pump. Drove to NY from TN 6 weeks after having oil changed and car was barely running by the time I got there. Towed to dealer and dealer said it was out of oil and also needed mass air flow sensor. No oil light came on and car said still had 28% oil life left. No check engine light came on as well. Had them change oil and talked to my dealership mechanic in TN about mass air flow sensor. Determined that if car was driving ok to have it checked out when I returned to TN. When I returned they said no check engine light was on and no codes came up in diagnosis, so did not need mass air flow sensor. Oil level at that time was good. Started oil consumption test. After 3700 miles, down 3/4 quart. Mechanic told me that 1 quart every 4000 miles is normal. Consumer Reports said NO oil should be burning. Was told black residue in exhaust pipe is ethanol.

- Johnna A., Cordova, TN, US

Aug 042015

Verano

I had the oil consumption levels monitored after an oil change. The mechanic at the dealer said I was down 2 quarts of oil. After monitoring the oil level after 2000 miles. I was down 1 1/2 quarts. The dealer said that the oil was being push passed the pistons and rings. Therefore, oil was blowing out the exhaust. and I needed to have new rings.

So, the dealer had me bring the car in to have the rings re-done. After 3 days and a loaner I was told that the car was repaired. Well, now 4 month later, I am down 2 quarts and at 8% oil life. I noticed when I would start the car up with the remote start, to warm the car up, that there was an oil or black like oil condensation at the end of the tail pipe.

I took the car back to the dealer and was told I was down about 2 quarts. He said that this was not the original problem he had repaired. Why am I down 2 quarts? Why is there a black like oil substance dripping on my concrete garage floor where the tail pipe is? I have never seen this before! What is the problem? Does anyone have black like oil coming out of there exhaust pipe and are constantly down oil levels? The dealer also told me it was normal cause in the winter the cars run richer. ????

- bigtoe9000, South Plainfield, NJ, US

Jan 042014

Verano 2.4L

Oil change reading was down to 13% and thought to check oil. Down 1 liter.

- Francis T., Forestville, QC, Canada

May 202015

Verano

This car is going through 2 quarts of oil in between changes!! I have called once and they say it's normal. Ummm... no car that is properly running should go through that much in such a short time!

- Kelly O., Collinsville, US

Apr 042015

Verano 2.4L

Have not been to dealer yet to complain. Oil change reading was down to 17% and thought to check oil. Down 1.5 liters. Just topped off myself.

Update from Aug 17, 2015: Did a oil consumption analysis went through 1/2 ltr. of oil every 1000k .Was told by dealer this is normal . All cars & trucks with direct injection use oil . Checked on internet and seems all vehicles with direct injection have same problem . So in 5000k have used 2 1/2 ltrs of oil . Was told to change oil every 5000k instead of going by oil life monitor which was only at 62 % NOT IMPRESSED

- Hans B., St. Catharines, ON, Canada

Aug 012014

Verano 2.2L

WE ARE ON THE SECOND OIL CHANGE, SINCE MY FIANCE BOUGHT THE CAR IN FEBRUARY OF 2014. BEFORE THE OIL CHANGE IN JUNE, SEVERAL CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND PROBLEMS BECAME APPARENT, ALL DUE TO THE FACT THIS CAR USES OVER A QUART OF OIL EVERY OIL CHANGE, IN FACT IT'S THE CHECK ENGINE GOES OFF BEFORE OUR OIL IS ABOUT 15%.

I JUST LOOKED ON THE WEB THE OTHER DAY ABOUT A GUY IN BRANSON, MO WHO HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AT 28K, WITH THE SAME CAR AND THE SAME ISSUE. IT'S MY FIANCE'S CAR AND I HAVE HAD DOZENS AND DOZENS OF CARS, NEVER CLOSE TO NEW AND ALL GM, BUT 2 CARS AND NONE EVER HAD SERIOUS OIL ISSUES AS THIS CAR, SO OBVIOUSLY IT WAS MADE ON A MONDAY. (LOL)

ANY WAY, THE SERVICE WRITER AT DILLON MOTORS HERE IN FREMONT, NE, SAYS IT'S NORMAL AND I CALL PURE BS ON THIS. A 3 YEAR OLD CAR SHOULD NEVER USE THIS MUCH OIL. THE PERSON WHO TOLD HER THIS IS AN IDIOT AS WELL. WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN IS NOTHING, BUT WE ENROLLED IT IN A USAGE STUDY AT THE DEALERSHIP. BY THE TIME THIS CAR IS DONE AND GONE THEN GM MAY OWN UP TO IT, BUT PERSONALLY, THIS CAR SHOULD HAVE A "NEW" ENGINE OR THE WHOLE CAR REPLACED.

THE RULE IS NEVER BUY THE FIRST YEAR OF A NEW SERIES OF CAR I GUESS. NO HOPE FOR MY BUICK EITHER AS IT'S A 1995 PARK AVENUE AND NO ONE HAS A CODE READER TO FIND OUT WHAT WRONG WITH IT AS WELL. VIRTUALLY DOESN'T START BELOW 30 DEGREES AND USES WAY MORE GAS THAN IT SHOULD. ANYWAY, I HOPE THAT WE GET ANSWERS BEFORE SHE TRADES IT OFF

- rs328, Fremont, NE, US

Feb 092013

Verano 2.4L

Bought my Verano brand new and it never used a drop of oil until it had just over 28K on it. Took it back to the dealer and they topped-off the oil (quart + low) and the owner paid for my next oil changed. Had the oil changed at 30K and after another 3500 miles it was down another 1.5 quarts. The dealer topped it off again and enrolled the car in the GM oil consumption monitoring program. I normally check the oil level weekly and can see the oil level decline each week. I'll be real interested to see what GM does once it starts to consume more than a quart per 2K miles.

Update from Jun 20, 2015: At 105,750 miles, it appears oil consumption has decreased. Through a 6k mile oil change interval, looks like I'm now using less than half a quart. Which is refreshing. Maybe these engines just have a very long break-in period. Still love my Verano!!!

Update from Aug 30, 2015: Just had another service at 112k and oil consumption is remaining less than a quart between services. Still a great vehicle.

Update from Mar 5, 2017: At 166,500 miles and still running like new, the engine is using very little oil. Uses less than a quart between 6-6.5k oil change intervals.

- Eric R., Branson, MO, US