ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2005 Chrysler 300 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler 300:

2005 Chrysler 300 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

May 012013

300 6-cyl

A common problem on all 2005-2007 Chrysler 300. The interlock latch device spring hook broke and disabled the vehicle. The vehicle was stuck in park. Chrysler refuses to acknowledge the problem on all vehicles and only recalled a select few made in certain areas. The problem occurs enough that private manufactures are making replacement part for this specific defect. See www.custombilletstore.com/genuine_billet_tech_pink_thingy_replacement_P/1028.htm.

- Deridder, LA, USA

Apr 012013

300 6-cyl

Submission from re recall K39 and exclusions. The consumer stated he experienced the exact problem that was addressed in the recall where the gear was stuck in park. The consumer was informed his vehicle didn't have the mopar replacement part installed prior to June 24, 2007, and therefore the recall did not apply to his vehicle. The consumer would like Chrysler to acknowledge the defect and pay for the repairs. Updated 04/30/13 updated 05/06/13 updated 06/10/13

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 012009

300

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that the gear shifter would become stuck when attempting to shift out of park. The contact made several attempts to release the gear shifter but was only able to shift into drive or reverse. The vehicle was inspected by a dealer, who stated that there was a recall for the failure under NHTSA campaign id number: 05V460000 (power train) however, the contact's VIN was not included in the recall campaign. There were no repairs performed on the vehicle. The failure mileage was 45,000. The current mileage was 68,000.

- Las Vegas , NV, USA

Jun 152012

300

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that the gear lever would not shift out of park unless the lever was manually released with a screw driver. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who advised the contact that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 05V460000 (power train). The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Mar 092013

300 6-cyl

On 3/9/2012 I went to drive my car, as I was putting the car in reverse I found that the gear shaft would not engage, I did everything to get it to engage, but it wouldn't budge, after a while I gave up and contacted the Chrysler dealer who instructed me on how to get the bracket to move. After several attempts it (the bracket) moved, allowing for the gear shaft to move out of park. I took my car in for service and was told that the part might have been under recall, I contacted the Chrysler corporation and was told that even though transmission cup plug bracket was under recall for certain Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep my car didn't fall with in the parameter of the VIN number. I paid for the repair. I would have agree to this had I not had this problem prior to the date above. Once before the gear shaft wouldn't move, but someone helped me get it to move, that was several years ago. Had I known about the recall then, I would have contacted the NHTSA sooner. The problem that I have with Chrysler is that they know that this part is faulty, but the company is only choosing to fix the (bracket) on certain vehicles. What above the 1000's of Chrysler 300 owners who have experienced the same problem, where is Chrysler responsibility to us-left-holding-the-bag customers. My car wasn't free, I paid hard earn cash for my car and I want Chrysler to honor its product. If there was a recall, and a multiple amount of customer have experience the same problem, then Chrysler should be willing or made to help with the price of repairing the vehicle, even if those customers where not part of the recall. Vehicles breakdown everyday and I truly aware of this, but I'm not the one who placed a faulty part in my car. This is not just above natural wear-N-tear, but about a problem that the manufacturer itself saw, and chose to only assist a selective few. This about fairness?

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Feb 282013

300

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that he started the vehicle and exited when the vehicle independently accelerated and crashed into a wall. There were no injuries. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection and was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Saint George, UT, USA

Sep 042008

300 6-cyl

Second shifter was installed 9-4-2008, mileage was 37454. At cost of $508. The car almost immediately needed the brake stepped on numerous times to allow the transmission to release so the car could be placed in gear.9-19-2012 the car was again taken to naples Dodge, where another shifter was installed at a cost of $560. The second unit was 4578029ac the third 68091343aa. A new clip has been added to correct the problem which has occurred in avengers, sebrings, etc. Rather than ask for a recall. Chrysler is having customers pay for the repairs, while they needed three different shifter(clips) to remedy their defective design. I have written them a letter stating my concerns but they have denied any responsibility.

- Bonita Springs, FL, USA

Sep 192012

300

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that the gear shifter became stuck in park. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 05V460000 (power train:automatic transmission). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 80,000.

- Bullhead, AZ, USA

Aug 032012

300

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that after shifting into park, the shifter would not move from park into reverse or drive. The contact did not take the vehicle to a dealer or mechanic. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign I.D. number 05V460000 (power train:automatic transmission) and called the manufacturer. The manufacturer advised the contact that the VIN was not included in the recall. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Ruston, LA, USA

Jul 242012

300 4WD 8-cyl

Park lock out mechanism failed rendering vehicle not usable. The mount point on the mechanism failed so even the override device will not allow the car to shift out of park. Chrysler has a recall on 05-07 vehicles of this type but they claim my 05 is not part of this recall (sb-10038199-2853) and that they will open a case. Research online shows this as a very common issue.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Jul 172012

300 6-cyl

On July 17,2012 I drove my vehicle at approximately 6:30 a.M to take my daughter to camp. When I arrived home I parked the car. Approximately 40 minutes later I got into the car, started it, and placed my foot on the brake to release my gear from the park position. As I did that, the gear would not move. I tried this approximately 5 to 10 times before giving up. I then contacted the Chrysler dealer in new carrolton, md and inquired about the part. I was informed that I have a recall on my vehicle in regards to NHTSA campaign id number 05V460000 (power train:automatic transmission). After being informed of that information, I then proceeded to ask the rep. Will that recall fix my gear from being stuck in the park position. I was placed on hold and when the rep. Returned, she informed me that the mechanic said no. I made an appointment to have the recall work performed at a later time. I then called around to different mechanics and inquired about what the issue might be. I received feedback from at least 3 out of 5 mechanics who stated that it may be the brake sensor fuse being blown or it may be a solenoid that needs to be replaced. Later on that evening I went to try and move the gear again and was unable to, so I removed the chrome panel that is around gear assembly and stuck a flat head screw driver towards the top and played around with it. As I was doing so, the gear shift moved from the park position. So now I have to ride around with a screw driver in order to get out of the park position. I feel this is a major safety concern because I have 2 young children and we could've been stranded somewhere. The failure mileage was approximately 102,600. Will be getting repaired Friday July 20,2012. Chrysler should be covering this issue.

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

Jul 172012

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

Jul 112012

300 6-cyl

The Chrysler 300 would not shift out of park. After some research online it was determined that the transmission shifter interlock shifter lever was broken. There is also a K-39 recall issued by Chrysler but my car does not fall under it. I spoke to Chrysler and they are not willing to fix it. It is a safety issue because the spring that is broken prevents the car from being shifted out of park if the brake is not pressed.

- Brunswick, MD, USA

Jul 112012

300

Started car and tried to put it in gear. Could not get it out of park. A situation much talked about on line. The failure of the "transmission shifter interlock lever" commonly called "the pink thingy" on line some owners tell of having gotten a recall. I called my local Chrysler dealer. He said it depended on where the car was built if there was a recall. Imagine how happy that made me !!!

- Severna Park, MD, USA

Jul 082012

300

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler 300. The contact attempted to move the gear shifter into drive but the shifter remained stuck in park. The contact noticed a plastic spring located in the gear shifter that was fractured. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Granite City, IL, USA

Jun 292012

300

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler 300 touring. The contact stated that while parked and attempting to accelerate, the gear became stuck in park. The contact was unable to shift the vehicle in any other gears. The contact was able to resolve failure momentarily by removing the cover at the gear knob box and manually pushing the piece in order to move gear from park. The vehicle was not taken to a repair shop or dealer for inspection or repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue and advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 05V460000 (power train:automatic transmission). The current and failure mileage was 65,000.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Jul 032012

300 8-cyl

The vehicle cannot be moved into any gear out of park because the park interlock system or "pink thingy" is broken. Apparently Chrysler has issued a recall on some vehicles for this problem but my VIN was not included according to the customer service.

- St Anthony, ID, USA

Jun 252012

300

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler 300C. The contact stated that the vehicle would not shift out of park. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the gear shift needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was also informed that the vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 05V460000 (power train:automatic transmission). The manufacturer was notified and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 153,000.

- Benton, AR, USA

Jun 182012

300 6-cyl

The car is stuck in park in my driveway.it is an automatic transmission. I was told it is shift interlock latch that is plastic. I have ordered the replacement part in alloy, a dorman part # 924-706. I was told it is a recall, and called my dealership but alas my VIN# was not included in the recall. I was also informed the same plastic part gets reinstalled into the vehicle for $200-475 fee at the dealership. It seems to be happening many times as the place I purchased the part said they order this part often due to the same make and model owners need to replace it themselves. I have looked up the recall and it is considered "the cup plug that retains the park pawl anchors shaft". DaimlerChrysler recall no. E14.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jun 172012

300

I went to back out of my driveway and I couldn't shift out of park, like it was stuck.

- Bartonville, IL, USA