CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

9.1

$2,740.00

2. replace engine cradle (5 reports)
  3. replaced engine mounts (4 reports)
2005 Chrysler Pacifica engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 132017

Pacifica Touring 3.5L

What can I say, I was the dumbass who bought a Chrysler. That will NEVER happen again!!! Ive had several problems with my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica, the biggest now is the whole underside of the vehicle is rusted out pretty bad. The cradle arm is the worst part, but not the only part rusting. The cradle arm is so bad theres cracks, and holes in it. took it for an oil change n they told my wife not to drive it at all, it was to dangerous. Thats the last thing she wanted to here, driving several small children everyday. This is obviously an ongoing problem. Chrysler needs to MAN UP and take responsibility for there garbage products. I hope they have to write everyone who owns one a big check. Go class action lawsuit! I know I'm among many,many others with the same problem. I will never own another Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep product again, and neither will my kids or anyone else I can prevent from buying. This wasn't my first but will be my last. Every other Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep i've had has major problems to go along with all the rust they ALL get! The bright side is there aren't and won't be many that survive a long period of time. Do you ever see older Dodge trucks or SUV's? I don't!

- , Maineville, US

Oct 042017

Pacifica Touring

The date the cradle rot was discovered was October 4 when I took the Pacifica in for a routine oil change, filter changes and safety check. The service technician showed me the problem underneath the vehicle, and it was very alarming to me; but not surprising.

I have been noticing a large hum for quite some time with my car. In fact, I looked back through my service receipts to see when I brought this vibration, hum sound to the dealer's attention. I had had my tires rotated on January 4, 2017 at the store where I purchased my tires. On March 22, 2017 I took my car into the dealer to get an oil change and have the multi-point inspection. I mentioned that there was a louder than usual hum, vibration or acceleration sound and it sounded as if it was coming from the front of the car. Their service order reads:

Customer States: WHIRRING NOISE FROM FRONT END UNDER ACCELERATION (ENGINE PERFORMANCE CONCERN) INSPECTION FOUND VEHICLE OPERATING NORMALLY AT THIS TIME NO ACTION NECESSARY AT THIS TIME The service writer said it could be just tire sound from the tire rotation.

Okay, it is now October 4, and I still have the same sound only to find out the car has "cradle rot." I'm thinking that any service technician would've seen the cross member/cradle to issues back in March when I called attention to the front end sounding different. This much disintegration didn't happen in less than six months time! I've tried to keep my car well maintained so it looks nice and runs well for being 12-years old. I figured my car was good for several thousand miles. Now, I've got an unplanned expense!

The thing that disturbs me is that the dealer has been inconsiderate in not notifying me of this cradle rot problem months ago. I can't be the first 2005 Pacifica owner that has been at their dealership and had this issue! Also, it is disconcerting that their negligence in not informing me of this problem can or could result in serious injury to myself as well as other drivers.

I think there should be a class action suit . . . perhaps, I've missed out because I only learned of this problem in the last week! My whole life I've been a faithful Mopar owner, but I feel betrayed. I'm now in the process of looking for a different car, hoping my car won't fall apart until I can find a replacement. My next car will not be a Mopar!

- , Waukegan, US

May 172014

Pacifica Limited AWD

I have been the sole owner since 2005. I have had minimal work completed on the car and mostly done through the dealership. A more concerning issue is that I took my car into the dealership last year because of a rattling noise under the card. I was told that the entire front end suspension needed to be replaced. At he time of repair, the cradle rust/rot was not brought to my attention and it's clear that the current major damage has not happened in less than a year.

- , Omaha, NE, US

Aug 082016

cradle rusted

I fell in love with my Chrysler Pacifica we bought it used put new tires on the front right, wore out quickly we were told by the garage in January 2016 the tie rod is going need replaced. bought new tires July 2016 take it go tie rod repair turns out tirod is not the problem the frame is so rotten. I'm so afraid it's going to break and my pregnant self and my 2 girls will be injured. I contacted Chrysler of course they said sorry about your luck can't help you! We scheduled the repair which we can't really afford it's time to buy back to school clothes and supplies and we have a baby on the way. Choose be teen the and our safety, I'm dissatisfied with Chrysler. A friend of our has same car they warned us last summer they were going through this it cost the thousands of dollars.

- , new castle, PA, USA

Apr 052017

Pacifica 3.5L

I'm low income family I don't want to worry about safety of my children. It sucks that chrysler will not recall this

- , Cohoes, US

May 012017

Pacifica

This should not happen to these cars. The rust is so bad and dangerous and you have no choice to fix it or scrap it. Very poorly built!!!!

- , Markham, MT, Canada

Mar 152017

Pacifica Touring 3.2L V6

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Touring Model less than 100K love the car. Recently the car would just began to wander to the left while driving. Took to a garage and they pointed out the problem see attached picture. Definitely a safety hazard not sure why Chrysler isnt taking care of the vehicle owners having this mechanical issue. Its for sure a defective OEM cradle engine support part that Chrysler installed and now consumer are experiencing issues while driving.

Ive owned three Chrysler vehicles over the last 10 years never again.

When some one gets killed maybe then they'll resound and make the situation right...... R Coia Chicago

- , Riverside, IL, US

Dec 232016

click to see larger images

cradle rusted cradle rusted cradle rusted cradle rusted cradle rusted

i can't believe they got away with this!! Rusted into three different spots dealership should be responsible to. how can you sell then resale a car that's known to be defective and how can a judge throw it out with all the internal emails saying their defective.. there is cars in fields that's been there 40 years in better shape than this.

- , Burney, IN, USA

Sep 022016

Pacifica LS 3.5L V6

cradle rusted

During a routine oil change my mechanic called me in the shop and showed me the rusted condition of the engine cradle. Recommended to get it fixed ASAP, as the power steering mount and most other areas were rusting away. Car was 10 years old and we were the second owner, having it for most of the 10 years.

Estimates to get the part replaced ran from $2000-$3000.

- , Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Nov 092016

Pacifica Touring V6

We have a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica Touring edition with 69,005 miles. Beautiful automobile, we store it in the winter, no rust anywhere on the body, the car is like new. We brought it in to the dealer for an oil change and NYS inspection. The dealer informed us that the front and rear cradle of the frame had rusted and deteriorated so badly that the vehicle would not pass NYS inspection and was unsafe to drive. The cost to repair was $4626.00.

I found a service bulletin that stated that Chrysler was extending the warranty on the Pacifica to vehicles in the Canadian market and salt belt states to 150,000 miles but for reasons that they would not explain, my vehicle was covered even though I live in upstate NY, an obvious salt belt area. This is clearly a latent defect in this model and should be recalled and repaired by Chrysler.

- , Manlius, NY, USA

Nov 072016

Pacifica

My husband's car wasn't shifting properly so he took it to the mechanic on the way home from work. Basically, the engine cradle prematurely rusted out. There were cracks on all three corners that caused the motor mounts to crack as well. Come to find out, as this loosens up the transmission knocks against it and the gears start to slip. Now his transmission needs rebuilding and to replace all the damaged parts, along with labor, will cost us a whopping $3300. Of course I contacted Chrysler about this complaint and they informed us that we do not qualify for the extended warranty. It's sad to say but we should've known better than to buy American. We will never make that mistake again.

- , Flushing, NY, US

Sep 242016

Pacifica Touring V6

How can you have a car where everything else is running fine but the part that holds your entire engine together fails? I drove a Chevy Impala till 300000 miles and never had anything like this happen. Chrysler should fix this.

- , Eagan, MN, USA

Jul 012016

Pacifica Touring 3.5L: V6

Just discovered this rusting problem this summer. Not sure what to do. Engine can fall out -- it's that bad!

- , Succasunna, NJ, USA

Aug 262016

cradle rusted cradle rusted

Took my husband's car in for routine maintenance and the phone call we received was, hey, you can't drive this car anymore. The engine is going to fall out of it! My kids are in this car routinely. I can't even begin to put my rant into words.

- , Forked River, NJ, USA

Aug 052016

Pacifica 3.5L V6

I just discovered this issue and have been looking it up on line

- , Dublin, OH, USA

Apr 022016

Pacifica Touring 3.5L V6

2005 Chrysler Pacifica I bought march 2016. I have 5 years of car payments to go. Engine cradle is rusted on the passenger side. Not real happy. Car is in really nice shape for the year. Bought it from a dealership that I know knew these cars had problems with rust. They put it out for sale anyway. And as far as I know when I take it in to have it looked at will tell me that it's my problem, bought as is. This car has put me in financial ruin, I can't afford to fix it and I can't buy another car owing on this one something needs to be done.

- , Hale, MI, USA

Apr 022015

cradle rusted

So, I had to pay to replace three engine mounts on my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica in April 2015. The car was shaking, and so I took to local garage. They said I was lucky that I did not have an accident because the engine was ready to fall out. Then, just two days ago, on 2/24/16 I had to take my car to Chrysler Dealer to fix a communication error U110C, because only Chrysler Dealer can fix it. Part (new ground wire) cost $22.81, total cost including labor was $480.11. The Dealer also told me the tie rods needed replaced (again), and the serpentine belt as well. I said fine, and that I would take to my local garage for repair. Today, 2/26/16, local garage has up on lift to fix tie rods and belt, and tells me front frame/sub frame is rusted, especially the passenger side. They told me, coincidentally, this is the second Pacifica this week with this issue. I am appalled the supposedly good ole trusty Chrysler Dealer did not tell me about the rust. I am assuming they didn't want to deal with me, the car, or any of it. I then looked up and found hundreds, if not thousands of complaints (through different websites), of this exact issue...rusting of frame and engine cradle. So, I proceeded to call Chrysler (1-800-334-9200) today. Was just told, as I suspected, it is not a recall even though there are thousands of complaints. I am so frustrated, and will never buy another Chrysler again. They refuse to fix these known and acknowledged rust issues that are an extreme safety hazard. They apologize, create a case file for me (which will not even be reviewed, just kept on file), and say there is nothing they can do. Well, I am here to complain like many others, and to warn others to never buy anything from Chrysler again. They DO NOT stand behind their vehicles. S. Sheppard

- , Forked River, NJ, USA

Jan 302016

Pacifica 3.8L V6

cradle rusted cradle rusted

The vehicles been awesome. We loved it, and took very good care of it, since it's our only vehicle. It has new struts, tie rod ends, tires, etc. We've noticed lately, the car is diving and swerving into other lanes as we drive. Upon inspection, we see the front engine cradle is rotted out. When we hit a dip in the road, the whole frame gives way, and let's the car steer "wherever it wants to". Horrifically DANGEROUS!!! And now, with us on a fixed income...we're SCREWED! Chrysler's not doing anything about it! WHY.....????? This vehicles 10 years old, and ALREADY SCRAP...? Nice $24,000 paperweight there, Chrysler!

- , Holly, MI, USA

Oct 242015

click to see larger images

cradle rusted cradle rusted cradle rusted

I am just extremely disturbed that this problem is not being address by the manufacturer. It seems to me that they would rather there customers drive around in this death trap than to take care of the problem that they are responsible for. I guess it is legal to sell a death trap and not have any responsibility in the making of it. I am so sorry that I was not aware of all the problems this car has before I purchased it (night mare)!!! You talk about a lemon law! I am hoping that someone from the company actually has a conscious and does the right thing. I know...I'd have a better chance at becoming the first female PRESIDENT! HELP!!!!! This is frustrating!

- , Mount Vernon, NY, USA

Oct 012015

cradle rusted cradle rusted

I bought my pre-owned 2005 Chrysler Pacifica back in January 2011. Since then, it's been one issue or another but no matter what the issue was, it WORKED! I was able to drive it to work, school, kids activities etc. Forward to 2015 and I start hearing clunking noise in the engine. initially sounded like the noise you hear when you're due for an oil change. I got an oil change but the noise continues.

I take it to the mechanic who looks all over the car and eventually tells me he wouldn't recommend me driving it anymore. Needless to say, the engine cradle is completely rusted and I'm told my engine could pretty much fall out at any time now. I've owned this car just shy of 5 years. For a pre-owned car, I paid a good amount of money for it. Why would I willingly spend $4 - 5000 + for an issue that Chrysler should pay for. They've admitted to not applying enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly. Currently the car sounds like a very old washing machine when it's turned on (that is when it does actually start). It jerks and vibrates like something having a seizure. I had to stop driving it due to obvious safety issues I'm not willing to put myself and my kids through.

It only took a small good search to realize I'm not alone. I've called the Chrysler dealerships around my area and Chrysler corporate. They pretty much told me I'm Sh*t outta luck! I've had a rental for a week, but what happens now! I'm not in a position to afford a new car!

Are they waiting until someone dies before a recall is issued?!? Let's just say I'm never buying another Chrysler again and I'll be waiting for that recall.

- , East Hartford, CT, US