2011 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems: engine won't turn over, will not start

Engine Won't Turn Over, Will Not Start

2011 Chrysler Town & Country (Page 1 of 3)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chrysler dealer.

8.1

2. replaced tipm (9 reports)
  3. module replacement, key replacement, software update (6 reports)
  4. bad fuel pump relay in the timp10/ (3 reports)
  5. replace win module (2 reports)
  6. turn completely off and restart (2 reports)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chrysler Town & Country:

2011 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 242017

Town & Country Touring-L

Car intermittently does not start. Is it the FOB, WIN module, TIPM?

- , Indianapolis, US

Aug 092017

Town & Country Touring-L V6

Purchase this vehicle used at a dealer. Runs and drives great, two weeks later it occasionally doesn't want to start. After several attempts it starts. Read online, that it could be the fuel relay on the TPIM or some switch/solenoid in the transmission. Both of which are expensive repairs. I ordered a cable manufactured online here: http://www.verticalvisions.com/TIPM_cables.php to test the fuel relay and fuel pump. But the fact it starts in neutral leads me to believe it is the switch/solenoid problem. I am taking it to the dealer and will see if they can find out what is wrong. Based on what I have read, if the problem doesn't happen at the dealer, they won't be able to diagnose. This no crank no start has happened 5 times so far.

- , Milwaukee, US

Jun 022017

Town & Country

Three times in the last two weeks the car won't start. AAA verified it is not the battery or connections. Waiting about an hour seems to correct the problem and the car starts. There is one "thump" when the key is turned. All the indicator lights come on and the radio, power windows etc. all work. The dealer can't duplicate the problem so they can't diagnosis it or fix it.

After looking at your website I see that I am not alone. It appears the TIPM is involved according to your other contributors.

An unreliably starting car fills one's life with stress.

- , Overland Park, US

May 212017

Town & Country Touring-L

First day when engine would not start, I tried to jump start at home and it worked. The next day morning, hit the same problem, and this time jump-start did not work and I had to tow it to the Chrysler Service dealer. The dealer was not sure initially and said generally there would be some indication from car-computer.

After two days said that TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) need to be replaced. In addition, he also said that, after replacing this chances are that a fuel-pump replacement need to be done. For TIPM itself, he is charging me $1500. Just two months back I got major service done and this TIPM is a hard-blow on me. I thought its a simple battery problem. Not sure if dealer is saying true, i still had to go get it done. And the vehicle is going to sit there for 2 weeks.

- , San Jose, US

Feb 132017

Town & Country Touring L

Vehicle keeps turning over but doesn't start. I discovered that if I start the vehicle with remote start, and then turn it on, it turns on.

- , Ormond Beach, FL, US

Dec 052016

Town & Country V6

Frustrating as it's not a consistent issue. My wife does not feel safe or comfortable taking the van anywhere as she may get stranded in a parking lot with the car not starting and no one around to help. No conditions to point to. Wet weather, dry weather. Morning, afternoon or evening, warm engine or cold engine. Very random.

Probably a TIPM issue as we are having other issues such as the fuel pump continuing to run or the drivers door lock not working and thus not being able to close the drivers door.

- , San Tan Valley, AZ, USA

Jul 302016

Town & Country Touring-L 3.6L V6

This is a very inconsistent problem. For a while it would have problems turning over several days in a row, then it went a few weeks starting just fine. Then it went back to having the problem almost daily. On average, when the problem arises, it takes 4-6 attempts before it finally turns over. Failure looks like this: I insert the key, turn the key, no engine activity sound at all... the electronics/lights come on, but the engine doesn't make a peep. After 4-6 tries, it usually turns over like it should. I took it to the dealer who said they "couldn't reproduce the problem" and therefore couldn't fix it. Even when I suggested it may be the TIPM, they said they tested that and it appeared to be working fine. I know Fiat bought Chrysler after this van was made and they don't want to pay for old ownership's mistakes, but it's just plain wrong that this hasn't been recalled. I hope they realize by not doing the right thing, their brand loyalty will suffer. Very disappointing.

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 152016

Town & Country LX 3.6L V6

It started with the van not starting, like it was getting no fuel. Eventually, after several tries it would start. But then another problem started. When the van was turned off the fuel pump would still run!!! So I would disconnect the battery to get that to stop. After much researching I found a company online that specializes in Chrysler TIPM issues. They have come of with a TIPM by-pass cable that is working for the most part but is really a temporary fix. The best and more permanent fix would be for CHRYSLER TO ADMIT THEY HAVE FAULTY TIPM's AND DO A RECALL!!!!!!!!

- , Warren, MA, USA

Oct 312016

Town & Country Limited 3.2L V6

Really love this car despite the starting issues. What disappointing is that Chrysler failed to tell me. That many others have had similar problem. This would indicate a faulty design or product. Won't be bragging about Chrysler cars anymore

- , Cartersville, GA, USA

Jun 092016

Town & Country Touring L 3.6L V6

Intermittent issue where van will not start spanning last almost 6 months. At first, it would start after several attempts. Sometimes it would take simply opening the door for it start. Took to dealer and they cannot repeat problem and therefore can't troubleshoot. When wife dropped it off, it wouldn't start. By time a tech came to get it, it started right up. Problem persisted and eventually it would not start and jumping it didn't work although that had worked before. Called tow truck. When they arrived, the van started. Took to dealer again, but after 2 says they can't repeat issue. I bought TIPM bypass cable that many reported having success with. When it arrived, I tested the fuel relay and it was a solid green light. Waited for it to fail again, which was today. I tried to test...green light. Tried bypass and still no start. Called tow truck. Again started before it actually needs tow. No need to take to dealer and that is waste of time. Truly frustrated by this. Hundreds have same complaint, but Chrysler has no solution. I will definitely not be buying Chrysler again.

- , Biloxi, MO, USA

Aug 012016

Town & Country Touring 3.6L

I bought my 2011 Town&Country used in June 2013 with about 13,500 miles on it. Within six months, I started having problems with the push button ignition. I would push the button, it would start, then immediately stop. Usually by the 5th attempt, I could get it to start and remain running. Since 2013, I have had it back to the dealer about 4 times for this problem. The key fob has been replaced, they have "cleared the computer/flash wireless ignition, put a new battery in the key fob, and did a PCM update. The service dept. always reports that there are "no codes" and they always seemed baffled by the problem. They have also suggested that having 2 key fobs could adding to the problem.

This problem has gone from the start/stop issue, to now pushing the button and having it attempt to turn over, where I have to then push the button to get it to stop attempting to turn over. I will often, but no always get "key not detected" error message, which on a few occassions has resulted in the car alarm going off which is delightful, because since it doesn't recognize my key fob, it's difficult to turn it off. I travel with a pack of batteries for the key fob and attempt to replace them in the car while I'm having problems, and this occasionally works.

I can sometimes bypass the iginition button and start the car remotely using the key fob, when pushing the ignition button doesn't work, other times I have to try various combinations of each to eventually get it to start. I would estimate that 6 out of 10 attempts at starting the vehicle now result in a problem. I've finally contacted the corporate Chrysler customer service number and will be assigned a case manager. I have another appointment next week at the dealership and will see what happens. Fortunately, I videotaped one event of it not starting so hopefully this will give them some insight to the problem. I did this because I'm soooo tired of them saying it didn't happen to them and there are no error codes.

Bottom line, there seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to why it doesn't start. I've been fortunate that I've never been completely stranded and have kept trying various combinations of using the ignition button and key fob until I finally get it started. Although the problem seems to be getting worse, and I'm sure that one of these days none of my tricks will work. If anyone has had success in getting this problem repaired, I'd love to hear your solution!

- , Ithaca, NY, USA

Aug 092016

Town & Country Touring 3.6L

Since early summer my 2011 Chrysler van has had intermittently failed to turn over or start. After a few tries it would start. On Aug. 9th we called a wrecker to tow it to a Chrysler service center. When he arrived it started. We drove it to the dealer and they replaced the starter. The day after we returned home it failed to start. Cost $296. We returned it to dealer who kept it for 1 week but could not duplicate the scenario. They did say they tightened up some things. No charge. A day later it failed to start. A few tries and it started. Very frustrating. I then checked this site and found numerous similar complaints. Where is Chrysler's support? Rick S., Champion, MI.

- , Champion, MI, USA

Jun 012015

Town & Country Limited V6

Started having issues with the vehicle not starting in June 2015. Replaced the battery and it seemed to make things better. I had intermittent problems with the windshield wipers going off randomly even though there was no rain in sight (this has been an issue since I bought the car - thought it was just something quirky).

Around April 2016, I was driving around my neighborhood looking for my children and the car suddenly lost power. I was driving a little under 25 mph when this happened. I took my van up to the Chrysler dealership after I did some internet investigating and came upon several forums regarding bad tipms (which is what I think this is). The mechanics looked at me like I was crazy and said they didn't know anything about this tipm issue which I think is a complete lie.

Within the last couple of months my car would not start and I thought maybe I hadn't put enough pressure on the brake when starting up but I don't think that was the problem. Two days ago, I went out of town and when we were getting ready to head back my car wouldn't start again. Tried turning it off and back on again several times. Also tried to get it to start by the remote start but the car went crazy and the alarm started going off and wouldn't stop until I exited the car and locked/unlocked the doors.

Thankfully my brother knows a little bit about cars and said to turn off all the accessories (radio/ac) and the car finally started up. I'm hesitant to drive my van around anymore considering that I drive 3 children around constantly for activities. Chrysler needs to stand behind their products and fix these issues which are a danger to the people driving them and those out on the road.

- , Dothan, AL, USA

Jul 182015

Town & Country Touring 3.6L V6

I am speaking up for all the owners who have had the same problem with their Chrysler product that we have had where it won't start / doesn't crank... We have five events start in July 2015 and continuning to today, June 26th, 2016. My dealership has done these things , in this order: 1) Battery - I knew and they knew it wasn't a battery, but, batteries aren't covered in warranty, $279. Same. 2) Software upgrade - Really, Chrylser? Same, no improvement. 3) New Key FOBS and coding. Same, no improvement. 4) WIN module. Same, no improvments. 5) Most recently, had my van 10 days with the promise to install a "co-pilot" computer and drive it like my wife does; 45 miles a day in Silicon Valley gridlock. Half way through my update was that they were walking by 5 or 6 times a day and no problem, van starts. I reminded them that parking and doing just fly-byes was not the plan. They then said they needed permission to drive my car? I told them they'd had that for a week. Friday, 6.10.2016, I got a text to come get my car. Couldn't repeat problem. When I got to the dealer they had only gone 37 miles in ten days or less than 10% of our normal driving. I then asked for a Chrysler number to open my own case. Once that was done, had a case open, I was quite articulate with the case worker about what the problem was and everything that the dealer had done that did not fix the problem. She found a STAR case related to a not starting problem. I questioned her as to whether or not in this case the dealer should have already reviewed this STAR case and she said that no, probably not since it had not been fixed. I went right down and showed the STAR number to my service advisor. We read up on it together and both agreed it was not related. He even confirmed with his technician and the tech said he'd reviewed it months before and it is unrelated... Imagine that!

I then left my case worker a vmail updating what I had done at the delearship and that my wife had video recorded the latest event which I had shared with the dealer and sent them the link. I shared the link with the case worker as well. We then got an email from the case worker saying she could not see the video, (not enough bandwidth), but had sent it to the dealership. This was my second YELLO flag that she was not listening as I told her I had already viewed the video with the dealership and left them a copy... I told her how embarrasing it must be to work for Chrysler in 2016 and be unable to call IT for help opening a video link...

This is where it turns an ugly corner. On Thursday, 6.23.2016, my case worker called to tell me that the disposition from the service director was that if they wanted me to have them continue to work on my van that I would have to not only PAY for the last 10-day event but also the rental car fees. yep. You all heard that correctly... I told her that not only could I translate 'dealerese', (What can we say to this family to never see them again?), but, that statement fell some where between blackmail and extortion. We debated the simple facts of my warranty. She said nothing can be paid for under warranty until the problem is diagnosed and that those troubleshooting costs were mine to bare. Her statement was that the dealer did not know what the problem was. I tried to expalin that the van had been towed, several times DOA and that the video absolutely demostrated the same issue that has been going on for 11 months now, what was she missing?

I then called to talk to the service director. I had been in this person's office twice in the last few months trying to get an understanding of what is next? When I agreed to give them a try, for the 5th time, he told me he's willing to work on a 100 times if needed be. I asked him if he had just heard what he said and then explained that NO customer wants the same thing worked on more than once.

During our conversation, June 24th, 2016, I called him on his attempt at blackmail my family, told him what I really felt which was that he'd hoped to never see me again etc. He then told me how in the red he was on my car, (and, probably many, many, others), and that he'd asked my cases worker for additonal funds, which she refused to approve. Now, at this point, I have the case worker and the service director both caught in conflicting statements and who is responsible for what? I then asked the service director if anyone above him thad old him to say what he was alleged to have said to my case worker or if he made that call on his own? Muddled answer... I then clarified my stance; Does anyone other than you, your service advisor and me, know anything about what is going on with van here at the dealership? He's boss, no... The dealership GM, no, no one. No, the game is exposed for what it is...

I called my case worker back. Filled her in on what I chatted with the service director about and that, with just a hour or so off interent research, found out my issues were going on all over this country and had been so for years. Also, that it was obvious Chrysler knows it has a big problem and is playing a shell game with responsibility. I gave her the same ananlogy I gave the service director. This is like a VW smog software thing with the only difference being that VW knowingly manipulated software to cheat the system. In this case for Chrysler, whether or not it is premeditated, now that the facts of this problme are so widely known and that Chrysler can't fix the failures in the field, how culpable are they to continue to allow this go on?

I have an escalation going on with my case worker demanding it be moved abouve her to a supervisor. Of course her biggest motivation on June 23rd, was not about doing the right thing but to close my case. When I asked her she could even think to justify that desire the response was that we had a disposition from the dealership service director and that she had other cases to work on. I emphatically declared that I would not allow this case to swept under any Chrysler rug. Pending...

The service director called me back, June 24th. To tell me he had called Chrsyler and that were working on a solution and would talked to be next week.

What we all know is that there is no clear-cut solution. They cannot fix this problem. Too much integration. The last comment I have is extremely telling of this issue. When we bought this 2011 in Oct. 2014, the finance manager made one of the most provoking statments to my wife and I to buy an extended warranty. He stated that these cars are being engineered now with more circuits, components and integration than at any time before. He related the between our 2009 T/C to this 2011, 1100 plus new circuit designs were added and that 'they' did not know where new problems might arise but that we should definately protect ourselves. We did and it was the best advice we ever been given, from a dealerhdip finance manager, who was looking to actually protect us from financial chaos. He was so right that on June 1st, 2016, when I dropped it for the 10-day, nothing got done event, I stopped by his office to thank him He remembered me, I explained what we had been going through. He just shook his head and said that at least we had gotten our money out of the warranty... Just not a relaible, trustable, family vehicle.

Too bad that the Chrysler dealership service director and my case worker don't act or feel the same way.

Stay tuned, it will only get uglier.

dentonca

- , San Jose, CA, USA

May 042016

Town & Country Touring L 3.6L V6 Mpi

I just bought this vehicle about two months ago and was never told about the recall on the back window button. I also have been having the same problem as most people on this website about it not starting. I am seriously angry. I have two kids and really needed this van as my transportation for me and them. I contacted the dealership and made an appointment to check out the problem they tried to tell me that its the start button that needed to be changed. Good thing I did some quick research before I had them fix it because apparently thats not the problem, and I refuse to pay to fix something thats not the problem and spend money that I definately dont have. I contacted the lawfirm that was on one of the posts about a lawsuit that is going on hopefully this will all work out but in the meantime I'm stuck with a car that can catch fire at anytime, that will leave me stranded in the middle of the road, that wont start, and apparently sucks the life out of the battery for no reason GREAT just what I need!!!!!

- , Charlotte, NC, US

May 202016

Town & Country

This T&C is a piece of sh*t!!!! Trans replaced, now this TIPM. BS.

Update from May 27, 2016: this worked !!!!!!!!!! saved myself a grand

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 062015

Town & Country

Turn key to start and all lights go on and all I hear is one chug. Turn key off wait 1+ minute and try again with 80% success and sometimes have to try more but still wait quite a while before trying will get 0 success. I did read somewhere to pump the gas a few times after failed start with key off and try again and I have done that 2 times now with 100% success on the restart. I don't have $1000 to replace the TIPM that others talk about so I guess I will keep doing this for as long as I can. It's been happening for over 1 year now and it's random as far as frequency. Sometimes a few times a month other times half a dozen or more times a month. Never not been able to get it to start but my heart always skips a beat and stomach drops especially when I have my twin toddlers with me alone. Never had to have it jumped either.

- , West Point, IA, USA

May 072016

Town & Country Limited 3.2L

To correct the problem i need to ensure the car is completely off (out of accessory mode) and attempt to restart again - usually works.

- , Roseville, MI, USA

May 042016

Town & Country LX

2011 Chrysler town and Country. My problem started on May 4, 2016 1st Day Van intermittent cranked up but wouldn't start. Had it towed to Chrysler dealership, they said it may need a starter @ 700.00 parts and labor and a software flashes @ 90.00. On May 6 2016 I had the starter replaced. Wow On May 8 2016 yes Mother Day as me and the family was leaving the movies. The 2nd intermittent cranked up but wouldn't start again! after about 6 or 7 tries "lord behold it started back up. This time I took it to a different certified repair man! u no someone I can trust at this point. He said code's are coming up ok at this point and couldn't get the Van to repeat the problem. Pick the Van up May 10, 2016 get home "lord behold the Damn Van went out again. Ok!?!? I'm going crazy now. this is the 3rd intermittent cranked but wouldn't start back up? Wow called my trusted guy back he said go on-line and look-up 2011 Chrysler Town & Country No Start. and here I I'm looking at all this complaints about thing caused by the (TIPM). most of the symptoms for many were just like my Van. COME ON Mr. Chrysler man! I have a 2011 Chrysler Van, 2010 Chrysler 300, 2012 Chrysler 200. We the people put our trust and hard earned money into by your vehicles, the less u can do is back it? Please do the right thing a RECALL, REPAIR and REPLACE the problem. Can someone help on what to do next? If my other 2 Vehicles go down the someway I'm F%^##%

- , Clementon, NJ, US

Oct 252015

Town & Country SW 3.6L

Tad this car less than a year and already having problems with it. I don't like to curse but if you can read between lines you hear my anger. The car doesn't want to start it stalls. If the car company knows about these problems, why won't they fix it before some one gets killed? My wife is diabetic an now I don't let her drive alone anymore for great the car may not start or shuts down on the expressway during rush hour. What the @&%# do they care or is it about the money? They want people to buy their products and if they stand by them, then fix it before one of my grandchildren or my wife or myself are called to heaven or someone else for that matter (HOW DO THESE PEOPLE SLEEP AT NIGHT) DO THEY REALLY CARE?

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA