2011 Dodge Charger electrical NHTSA complaints: Electrical System

NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2011 Dodge Charger (Page 10 of 17)

2011 Dodge Charger electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Charger:

2011 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 10 of 17)

Sep 292014

Charger 6-cyl

Driving approx 40 mph, battery saver mode indicator came on, car still drove fine. Next day on way into work, battery saver mode indicator was still on, approx speed while traveling to work was 70 mph, once I arrived at work, I started to smell something burning, I popped the hood and noticed a distinctive electrical burning smell. Tried starting car, and vehicle will not start. It wasn't till I looked at this website that I noticed all the other complaints referring to the same issue. Hopefully the dealership is aware of this issue now and will be able to repair the component without issues.

- Plano, TX, USA

Sep 232014

Charger 6-cyl

"battery save mode" I don't know what happen my car didn't want to start? I have had this car for about 1yr 1/2. checked battery levels they are fine. Then started drove the car for 2 days then died when I parked the car and tried to drive it again. But will not turn over.when traveling under the speed of 30mph the car becomes very hard to steer and feels like its going to shut off. I don't know what is wrong with it. I can't drive it anywhere to get a diagnosis on it.

- Reseda, CA, USA

Sep 282014

Charger

I was driving my 2011 Dodge Charger when the battery light came on along with other lights. I also noticed the smell of burning wires. I stopped my vehicle and popped the hood. There was smoke coming from the alternator. Once the vehicle was off it would not start again. I had two mechanics look at it and tell me that the alternator seized. I called Dodge to see if they had heard about the issue and they seemed not to care. I was told that if there is a recall they would send out a notice. This is a very big issue if the alternator were to catch fire, car was in traffic, or even an electrical surge to the vehicle.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Sep 242014

Charger 6-cyl

Driving on the highway at 50 mph and saw the ABS light and traction control light come on, then the car said battery saver mode. After that it died on the side of the road and nothing would come on. I had no hazards lights that would work. I was totally helpless. I thought the car was on fire due to the extreme smell of burning wires. Upon further investigation it was the alternator that burnt up and put the car compltly out of service. Dodge is aware of this problem but said it is not warrantied and is not a safety issue. I think being stranded on the side of the road with no way of warning other drivers with safety hazards is really a safety issue. Thank god that is was not night time and that I was not on the interstate.

- New Gloucester, ME, USA

Sep 222014

Charger 6-cyl

I was driving the car and all of the electrical parts inside the car started flickering and eventually cut off in the middle of driving. I attempted to use the battery jumper kit I have and it would only work long enough to get the car in neutral to give it a push. Now no part of the car works unless connected to an alternate source of power.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 222014

Charger 6-cyl

While driving, the ABS alert light flashed on and we smelled an electrical burning odor. A few minutes later the radio consul went blank. There was a message that stated "battery saving mode". then several minutes later, several alert lights began blinking on/off. I could run the window down but the automatic one-touch feature stopped working initially and a few minutes later, I could not run the window up or down. Then the power steering went out as I was pulling into a parking lot. We smelled the electrical burning odor off and on during this entire time. I had the car towed to the dealership and was told the alternator had failed and had damaged the battery.

- Linwood, NC, USA

Sep 042014

Charger 6-cyl

During driving, the radio turned off, and the dash lights lit up. Smoke started coming from under the hood. Car died on the road. Dealer diagnosed as a failure of the alternator which also caused the battery to fail.

- Manteca, CA, USA

Sep 202014

Charger 6-cyl

Was driving and the power saver mode came on the car. Saw smoke, checked the engine and the alternator was smoking. Something needs to be done. This car is 3 years old with 60,000 miles on it. That is ridiculous. The car has not went through anything stenos. We are at a lost for words and then when called and asked about it there is nothing that can be done without further investigation. Please investigate, there are too many complaints about this. This is costing over 800 dollars, this is ridiculous on a low mile low year car, right after the warranty goes out. Please investigate and do something, thanks.

- Orangeburg, SC, USA

Sep 192014

Charger

My battery saver mode came up on screen then my ABS & traction control lights came on so I took my car to dealer and they checked it out and said all systems were fine as I drove my car home the battery saver mode, ABS and traction control lights came on again and I began smelling a burnt smell from engine so I opened up the hood and my alternator was smoking and looked fried all electrical was down nothing works now no power to car at all, needless to say car is being towed back to dealer now and hopefully they will fix it this time and not put my family at risk of being burned or harmed.

- Visalia, CA, USA

Sep 182014

Charger 6-cyl

While I was driving to work my radio went out and ABS lights and what not started flashing. My car died and I pulled to the side of the road. I could smell something burning that smelled electrical. I popped open the hood and seen the alternator smoking. I just took my car in for an oil change the day prior. I'm sure if there was something wrong they could of told me. Dodge doesn't support their equipment. I'm sure I am not the first person this has happen to. They need to be investigated for their alternators.

- Fountain , CO, USA

Sep 142014

Charger 6-cyl

Was driving car when radio shut off, ABS brake warning came on and car lost steering and brake power. Got car home and it stopped running. Tried to jump and drive to dealer but could not keep engine running, power worked off and on. Too dangerous to drive on highway with possible loss of control. $800 to replace alternator.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Sep 162014

Charger 6-cyl

The battery saver light came on while driving. The engine light also came on and the ABS light only while turning the wheel. Stopped and shut off the car. It smelled like a electrical burning coming threw the vents went out to opened the hood and saw alot of smoke coming from the alternator. Looks like it was on fire!! got back into the car and had not power to anything. Battery was dead. Could not get into the truck to check and disconnect the battery. Had to jump the battery to open the truck to disconnect the battery. Got a alternator from the dealer, the only place I could get it, the auto parts stores do not stock them. I guess its too expensive!!! it cost me $570 for the alternator and I put it on my self. Charged the battery and started the car all good, no problems.. I was lucky the car did not burn up...

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Sep 162014

Charger 6-cyl

Driving at 25 mph, warning lights came on for different functions. Odd sound coming from motor. The information message alert lit up. Checked it, and the message alert was "battery saver mode". odd smell (electrical) coming from the engine. Parked, closed windows, shut the car off. Went to restart car and it wouldn't start. Had a friend try to jump with cables, and it didn't work. Called for tow truck to come and take to dealer. I have a bumper to bumper lifetime warranty. Dealer can't "look" at it until tomorrow. It has been almost 2 hours wait for tow truck, (promised to be here an hour ago.)

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Sep 152014

Charger 6-cyl

At 10 P.M. 9/15. I was driving to the store. Information message popped up on display. Battery saver mode. The radio shut off and the car began to shake. There was also a whining noise heard from the engine compartment. The ABS brake light and electronic skid control lights were also on. I was already near the store. I pulled into the parking lot and parked the car. I opened the hood and could see smoke and smell smoke coming from the alternator. I tried to restart the car to get my windows up but it was dead. I couldn't start it even with jumper cables to get it back home. I had to call for a tow. I finally made it home a 1:00 am after waiting for tow. I couldn't imagine the lack of control had this happened on the freeway or during rush hour traffic. I need to purchase an alternator and battery today. Not looking forward to the bill. Sounds like bad designed parts. Hopefully something becomes of the investigation.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Charger

I was driving noticed my car had a slight louder sound coming from the engine like it was rived up. As I was driving I noticed the ABS lights came on; traction light; and engine light all flashed across the screen and went off. Then I started smelling a strong burning smell I had mad it to my destination cut the car off. I went to crank the car back up ;nothing happened car had lost all prior my windows, doors all locked up would not roll up or down or doors unlock had to call a tow truck. Car had no power completely black screens everything shutdown.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Charger

My 2011 Dodge Charger battery saving mode light is blinking on and off as well as my ABS/skid control then all of the sudden my vehicle starts slowing down on the highway while going the speed of 60 mph causing the car to lock up. My wife is 8 months pregnant and I feel like that not only put her in danger but my unborn child as well. This situation I feel needs to be recalled and fix asap before someone looses a loved one over a malfunction with these vehicles. I had to get my vehicle towed to the Dodge dealer who told me that my alternator went out and completely drained my battery in my car causing me to have to come out of pocket for both. I really don't drive my vehicle a lot for all these things to be happening I hope that the 2015 Dodge Charger is better...

- Bainbridge , GA, USA

Dec 112013

Charger

I bought a 2011 Charger in 2012. Dec 11 2013 my son was stranded in the cold with a dead alternator. It cost a fortune for tow, new alternator, labor ($865). That is unacceptable for a 2 year old car and owners should be compensated.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Sep 132014

Charger 6-cyl

At first my car started making a whining type of sound it seemed to be driving a little bit off. Then after driving down the street I noticed that the ABS light and the traction light was on, and a burnt electrical wire smell was coming through the vents. So I pulled over and parked and turned the vehicle off. I opened the hood and the smell of burnt wire was really bad. I decided to leave the vehicle where I had parked it, but wanted to roll up the windows. When I went to turn the car back on the car was completely dead. So long story short my relatively new car broke down on me. And this is not the first time this has happened to me. I previously owned a 2008 Dodge Charger that had the same issues. Its really a disappointment because the whole reason I traded in my old Charger for a new one was because I needed a reliable vehicle that I could depend on. And that is obviously not a Dodge.

- Aptos, CA, USA

Charger 6-cyl

Car went into battery saver mode while driving. Took to dealership said nothing wrong. Drove next day where all lights and wipers going off. Radio cut off and ABS, traction control and E-brake lights came on. Then car began having smoky smell. Completely shut off in intersection with no recharge or ability to start up. Could not even lock doors or open trunk.

- Oakley , CA, USA

Jul 012014

Charger 6-cyl

I have replaced my car's alternator twice within 16 months due to total failure (car won't turn on) and impending failure (low charging while on). This resulted in my battery needing to be replaced. Additionally, I have replaced all 4 wheel speed sensors twice within the last 24 months because they are failing and the ABS / ESC light comes on. Very disappointing in a car that's only 3 years old. Dealership tells me both repairs are typical of these cars, even the new ones. Lastly, both of my headlights have blown out due to a known recall.

- Miramar, FL, USA