ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2015 Dodge Dart engine problems: engine stalls/dies while driving

Engine Stalls/Dies While Driving

2015 Dodge Dart

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Dodge dealer.

7.9

$90

2. add oil (5 reports)
2015 Dodge Dart engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Dodge Dart:

2015 Dodge Dart Owner Comments

Oct 232017

Dart SXT 2.4L I4

This car has been giving me problems with the oil. It started burning oil at 23,000 miles and I'm now at 40,000 miles and they still have not done anything to fix it. In fact every time I've added oil to fix this problem I have to restart my Oil Consumption Test over. But I need to add oil for my car to survive. They also keep throwing me in a loop when it comes to who fronts each bill. Really ticks me off.

- Brock C., Cape Coral, US

Jan 292018

Dart Rallye 2.4L

I've had the issue most people stating before, with the oil levels being low. However, this morning it happened again on my way to work, while I was driving up a hill and right at the crest it shut off. The battery light came on which I don't remember happening with the oil issue. So considering I just changed my oil not even two weeks ago, I'm hoping it's just a dead battery, otherwise I may just get rid of the damn thing before I die.

This is starting to become a huge pain in my ass. I love this car most times but it's such a piece of sh*t. Someone needs to file a lawsuit against these crooks at Dodge before this kills someone.

- Andrew S., Pittsburgh, PA, US

Jan 192018

Dart Limited V4

I could have died. Driving on highway at 70 miles and power steering dies, battery light goes off, all power systems shut off, radio goes off, cant roll up or down windows. A car under two years old should not die on a freeway. Could not even get the car into neutral!! Extremely scary and easily could have been a nasty car wreck.

The first time this happened, they changed the battery. Two weeks later, it happened again. Why can't they see what is the issue? I am so scared to drive this car again!

- dgraziano, Orlando, US

Jan 012018

Dart

MY DODGE DART 2015 IS HAVING PROBLEMS STALLING OUT. I TURN THE CORNER AND IT STALLS. IT HAS HAPPEN TO ME MANY OF TIMES. I WAS ON A MAIN ROAD DOING 65 MPH AND IT JUST SHUTS OFF ON ME. NO WARNING, NO LIGHTS, NOTHING. THE FIRST COUPLE OF TIMES IT DID IT I WOULD TRY TO START IT AND IT WOULD TURN RIGHT OVER AFTER A FEW SECONDS. WELL, THE VERY LAST TIME IT DID IT TO ME IT WOULDN'T START, SO I HAD TO HAVE IT TOWED TO THE HOUSE. AFTER A FEW HOURS WE STARTED IT UP AGAIN AND IT WAS RUNNING REALLY ROUGH. THE RPMS WERE AT 3 GRAND FROM TAKE OFF TO 30 MPH IT WILL GO UP TO 4 GRAND ON RPMS.

THIS IS NOT A SAFE THING WITH UR KIDS IN THE CAR. IT'S BULLSHIT AND DODGE NEEDS TO FIGURE THIS OUT. I HAVE SEEN A LOT OF ISSUES WITH THIS PROBLEM AND I HAVE SEEN WHERE EVERY DEALERSHIP SAYS IT HAS TO DO WITH THE OIL BEING LOW AND IT WILL SHUT THE ENGINE DOWN TO PROTECT IT FROM BURNING UP. WELL, THAT'S NOT A SAFE THING WHEN I HAVE MY KIDS IN THE CAR EVERYDAY AND IT JUST SHUTS OFF WHILE I'M DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD WITH A LOT OF TRAFFIC THAT CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS. THIS ISSUE NEEDS TO BE FIXED BY DODGE.

- kchristina, Umatilla, FL, US

Jan 062018

• CVT transmission

Just the norm for this car. Started off by sluggish and then tonight died at a light. With so many of the same issues why hasn't anyone started a class action lawsuit against Dodge before someone gets killed.

- Robert C., Albany, US

Aug 112017

Dart 2.0L 4 cyl

I bought my 2015 Dart 12/13/15 and loved it! Then the end of Feb 2017, the car started acting like it was out of gas, or that it wasn't getting any gas. My husband drove it to see & of course it didn't do it with him, (so of course I look like a crazy person) I took it into the dealership & was told they couldn't find anything wrong with it. So I continued driving it and then it stalled on me......I took it back to the dealership, they kept it overnight & still nothing! So my husband picked up my car & upon returning home, it happened to him! He turned around, went back to the dealership, had the mechanic get into the car and they went for a drive, it did it again, so I wasn't crazy! They kept it overnight again and finally got a diagnosis of "it needed an update & a transmission module replaced. Problem solved......or so we thought! 8/8/17 driving my car, it started doing the "not getting gas routine" and I called the dealership, they said bring the car in on 8/22/17 and they will look at it.....8/11/17 driving down the freeway, my car completely stalled, took 3 tries to restart, check engine light was now on! Took it in to the dealership 8/14/17, diagnosis "lost connection" car got an oil change & an update, that was due AGAIN! Was told it should be fine now, but if it happens again, to bring it back in. At what point does this stop? I'm to the point that I don't want to drive my car, I defiantly don't want to have my children or grandchildren in it. To me it's a death trap waiting to happen & no one at the dealership, really seems to care!

- Cheryl W., Bakersfield, US

May 262017

Dart

So after years of not being able to afford a car payment and driving 20 year old buckets...I made the decision to commit to and work hard to pay a car payment. I purchased this vehicle a week before my 43rd birthday after my last bucket completely died. Less than a month later I was driving and it just died...just like that, no warning, a lot of dash lights and jerking. Assumed the gas I purchased the night before may have been tainted...burned it out in a couple of days and put a better grade from a better gas distributor. Didn't matter car stalled even worse every day and finally, a week later on a Friday afternoon, I was heading home from work on the interstate and it DIED going 63 mph!!! I thought I was going to be pushed down the interstate, it was horrible. I took the car to an warranty authorized mechanic the next day, Saturday morning. 4 days later, I was told that the problem was BEYOND them and it needed to go to a Dodge dealership. I had it towed there this morning and am now awaiting a diagnosis. Almost 300 dollars in UBER costs, a 100 dollar deductible, only my SECOND car payment due in 8 days (which I DO plan on making) later...I am suffering high anxiety. I made a conscience decision to purchase a pretty new car so I didn't have problems like this... SMDH

Update from Jun 26, 2017: Dodge said I had no oil LOL...they had no idea I purchased the car on April 14 and that it had been in another shop since June 2nd. I phoned the previous shop from which the car was towed from. They informed me that the car had sufficient oil when it arrived and there were no signs of leaks. Dodge LIED to me. Dodges fix...participate in an oil consumption test in which I drive the death trap from the lot with only a full oil tank (according to them) and come back to have my oil level tested several times...PLEASE Dodge did I mention the car SHUTS OFF whenever it wants too!!! I requested they not touch the car, take it out of the bay, and park it...I am not going down this road with them...stay tuned

- Twana S., Norfolk, VA, US

May 152017

Dart SXT 2.4L

Bought the car brand new (2015) and it's mostly freeway miles back and forth to work. The car only had 42,000 miles on it and it had a bad wheel bearing and even more concerning, twice while sitting still thank god, it made a ding noise and died. Took it in to the dealership and right away they said your probably low on oil. I was 2000 miles over my scheduled change. Sure enough it was low on oil. Never did an oil light come on, just that dinging noise.

I expressed my concerns about the car just dying cause the oil is low and what if I'd been going 70mph when it happened? Their BS excuse was "its a safety precaution so your engine doesn't get damaged." I asked how safe it was to have your car stop running all of the sudden on the freeway? Also I expressed my concerns on the oil consumption. I have owned lots of cars and went way over the scheduled oil change and never has it just burned up. they said its "cause they're using thinner oil now."

First of all it's full synthetic which is supposed to perform better and if it's thinner oil that burns up why am I paying almost a hundred dollars for an oil change? I am the Vice President of my local Union which is UAW and we always promote buying American, to our members, family and friends. We take great pride in what we do and the products we make in the Aerospace and Transportation divisions. It makes it harder to do that when manufacturers don't own up to their mistakes and take care of the consumer appropriately.

I've seen so many reports of this condition since I've started researching it. This is clearly not a safety preventative and no where in the owners manual does it warn the owner of these conditions. there should be some kind of disclaimer up front when purchasing that you could be putting you and your family at risk. I will continue to support buying American all of the time but I am extremely disappointed in Chrysler and may not buy any more of their products and move over to Chevy! That's all I have to say about that.

- James B., Ravenna, OH, US

Mar 152017

Dart SXT 2.4L

On the 1st day the car was brought home, get ready didn't even sign the paperwork still deciding to buy the car. came home, shut the car off for a half an hour and it's a no start. so the dealership comes and picks it up. Slick tongue bastard tells me there's no problem, it was just a bad battery. Ok I buy the car about 3k later the car starts to stall and to my surprise the engine has no oil. I will repost the outcome. thanks for reading my rant.

- Mark S., Buffalo, NY, US

Jan 012017

Dart GT 2.4L

The engine quits at random times. Going slow or stopping, sometimes turning a corner, the engine just quits. No codes, no warnings. Last time dealer said it needed a software update. It did not fix the problem. Also at last oil change at dealer, they did not fill it up completely! Terrible service. I have no idea why the engine quits and I have no confidence the dealer will ever fix the engine problems. It is such a cheap car, not very well made, maybe this is what you have to expect from Dodge. For sure this is the last Dodge I will ever buy!

- flemingfl, Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 012015

Dart 2.4L

I want justice and truth and no lies from dodge. My car is a new car. The salesperson talked me into getting this car and it was sitting on the lot. I want dodge to admit to the problem.

- toochie, Oak Park, MI, USA

Mar 312016

Dart Rallye 2.0L

Engine dies when coming to a stop. Other times runs extremely rough. Dealer says there is nothing wrong because they can't duplicate the problem.

- Tricia H., Jacksonville, FL, US

Mar 292016

Dart SXT 3.2L

I have 32% life in my oil. No sensor lights lit to inform me I had low oil. My car kept dying on the highway. Every time I turned a corner it would cut off. (VERY DANGEROUS!!!) So I bring it back to the dealer and they say they need to run a oil consumption test and to come back in 1000 miles. So I say "My oil is low and my engine is leaking oil? They say "No, we need to do a oil consumption test." so I say "why the test if my engine is not leaking oil?" they say " Please just come back in 1000 miles. I say " You bet I will". Got my car back and it is running a little better. But I will be bring it right back if it idles low or any hesitation.

- mskhall642, New Brunswick, NJ, USA

Jan 112016

Dart 2.4L

New car - figured large oil consumption - surprised that the oil light didn't come on but the engine just would stall

- Jean S., Austin, TX, USA

Apr 012015

Dart SXT

I purchased the car the last week of February. I began having car problems in mid March. I called the dealership and was scheduled to come in for service. Was told the software needed to be updated. Got car back and it stopped on me twice and had to be towed to the dealership. In May I was given a loaner car and was told my oil consumption was bad. Received car back in June and car was reposed for nonpayment. I got car out and it stopped again. In July the dealership then gave another loaner and told me my car will be a Chrysler buyback. From July to September never heard anything from Chrysler till Sept 24 advising me to go to the dealership to choose another vehicle. Dealership did not know what I was talking about so we contacted Chrysler to get a clear understanding of what needs to be done. Was told to choose a car and they would take care of the registration and the paper work. Drove the 2015 Jeep Renegade for almost a month and I checked in with the dealership once a week to find out if the paperwork was complete. First week of November was told by dealership to bring back the Jeep and my 2015 Dart was repaired. I was told to register the dodge dart and then I could get the jeep back. On Dec 5 the Dodge dart was reposed again for non payment and Chrysler capital stated they were never informed by anyone other than myself that the car was a Chrysler buyback and the account was never flagged as a unwind to prevent repossession. The GM of the dealership called Chrysler Capital and informed them that the car was a buy back. I was then told that the matter will be escalated to the office of the president for a thorough investigation. On Dec 7 I contacted the office of the president and was told that I should have made my payments and I will need to pay 2300 to get the car out of repossession. Dealership refused to give me a loaner vehicle and now I'm left without a car or any type of repayment along with a second repossession.

- goldenral007, Raytown, MO, USA