ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

9.2

$2,340

2. replace electronic power steering module (5 reports)
2012 Ford F-150 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Aug 202018

F-150 XLT V8

Pulling out of a tight parking space, my power steering decides to go out. It screeched as I was backing out, then it went out. It was sooo hard to turn the wheel, so I had to go forward and backwards about 6 times to get it out from behind another car (where power steering went out). Luckily I found 2 parking spots that were open right down from where I was. I barely turned it in there and stopped it and called tow truck to take to dealership. Ford of Franklin, TN said bad rack and pinion whole set.$ 2000.00 for the part, $1006.00 to install. Caused by electronic failure. Not covered under lifetime warranty that FORD dealership gave out when I bought the truck.

- Michelle K., Franklin, US

Jul 282018

F-150 Lariat 5.0L

I was on a 220 mile trip when the power steering started sticking on the highway doing about 60 mph. I simply got off the highway and stayed on county roads to see if slower speeds would help. Within 30 miles after the original sticking, it was full on locking up and making a horrible screeching sound during any slight turn. The "Service AdvancTrac" light came on, and was shortly followed by "Electric Power Steering Assist Fault" light. If this system locked up like it did any sooner than it had, my four family members and I could have been crosses on the side of the road. I eventually decided to get towed to the nearest mechanic where they said it was the Electric Power steering that needed to be replaced totaling about $2000. I have not gotten it fixed, and towed it home, hoping that there was a recall for such a terrible failure. This should be recalled immediately, and truck owners should not be liable for this failure since it is such a safety issue.

- Austin W., Monroe, WA, US

May 152018

F-150 LX 5

Pretty bad when there is a problem like this that Ford does not cover and replace under a recall. Spending $2000 was a lot for us.

- vivlamore, Albion, US

Jan 022018

F-150 V6

12000 mi on a 2012 F150 Ford and the steering stops working as you are making a turn. I find hundreds of other complaints yet no recall. No warning not only by FORD, but NATIONAL SAFETY APPEARS TO IGNORE THE PROBLEM UNTIL MULTIPLE FATALITIES ARE REPORTED !!

- William K., St Thomas, Virgin Islands (US)

Sep 112017

F-150 FX4 V8

We learned that there are literally thousands of complaints related to the failure of the Electronic Power Steering Assist on Ford F150s and Ford refuses to issue a recall to service the problem. I bought a 2012 Ford F150 Tuscany new on the showroom floor for $68,000. Due to this issue and Ford's complete inability to back their product I can assure you that this is the last time I EVER buy a Ford!!

- fordvanguard, Leesburg, US

Aug 012017

F-150 FX4 5.0L

While driving down the road with my family in the car, I got a "service advance trac" light on my dash and immediately lost power steering. Luckily, I was driving and not my wife, she said she would've had an accident for sure. I was able to nurse the truck off of the road and into a gas station until the power steering just eventually came back on. The traction control light stayed on until I turned the car off and then back on. The Ford dealership wants to charge me at least $140 to bring it in and have it tested, then they'll tell me what's wrong and how much all of that will cost. I can see why the average price for this fix is around $2000. I can't believe that Ford hasn't addressed this issue with all of the posts on this website alone that are identical to mine.

- jhopp85, Milton, US

Jul 152017

F-150 XLT 5.0L

Power steering failure x 3 in last month, hard right or left turn.

- smkhl316, Tionesta, US

Nov 292016

F-150 Lariat 3.5L Ecoboost

I recently returned from a 2000 mile trip and had just unloaded my vehicle and parked it. The next morning, I went to start my vehicle. It started fine, but there was an advance trac warning on the dash. I had no steering. I did not drive it that morning as there was no way to turn the wheel. I had the vehicle towed to a Ford repair shop. They told me that it was a gear in the steering that had broke. This vehicle was no longer under warranty. I had to pay to get it repaired. I called FORD and they took down my information and told me to save the receipt in case there was a recall and I may get reimbursed.

- Edward M., Peyton, CO, USA

May 242016

F-150 XLT 5.0L

WAS DRIVING HOME AND POWER STEERING FAILED, NO POWER STEERING AT ALL! DEFINITELY A REAL PROBLEM DRIVING THE VEHICLE SAFELY!!! FEELS LIKE DRIVING A ROCK

- Mike A., Northville, MI, USA

Sep 292015

F-150 XT

Live in Fargo, ND and it's starting to get cold. Autotrac warning light comes on and lose power steering and turn signals. Didn't happen during warm periods and doesn't happen when I park in the garage. Once I'm driving and it seems like the truck is more warmed up, I can turn the vehicle off, like at a stop light, and turn on again and the warning goes off and the steering/turn signals work again. Have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. Only 29K and my 3/36 warranty expired already. Very frustrating.

- John L., Fargo, ND, USA

Jun 272014

F-150 5.0L V8

Power steering failed while on vacation.

1st dealership diagnosed the problem but could not get parts.

Home dealership has had the vehicle since 7/7/2014. Cannot get parts until August.

No satisfaction from FORD.

- Jim S., Lake Wylie, SC, USA

May 272014

F-150 XLT 5.0L

This truck is barely a year and a half old and the power steering goes out making it very hard to steer.

- Michael B., Trout, LA, USA