2011 GMC Terrain engine problems: excessive oil consumption

Excessive Oil Consumption

2011 GMC Terrain (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your GMC dealer.

8.6

$5,160

2. replace engine (9 reports)
  3. new pistons, rings, catalytic converter, timing chains, cams (4 reports)
  4. replace thing chain, repair damaged parts (3 reports)
  5. replace piston rings (2 reports)
2011 GMC Terrain engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 GMC Terrain:

2011 GMC Terrain Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 042016

Terrain 2.4L

having to add 2 quarts between oil changes. there needs to be a recall

- Hans P., Seldovia, AK, US

Jul 122018

Terrain SLT 2.4L

At 95212 miles I had a timing chain failure while driving and had to have the engine rebuilt. I have 104560 miles on my Terrain now and I am using a quart of oil every 400 to 500 miles. No satisfaction what so ever from GM and don't know if I will replace this vehicle with another GM vehicle.

- Gene A., Bellaire, US

Jun 072019

Terrain

Pulling out of my driveway and the car stalls. Ok, could be nothing. Driving to the Dr. Shuts off. Stop at a red light, turns off. Turn it back on and stalls again. Do this 7 times in 2 miles. Not cool!!! Take it to the dealer, nope not covered under the special warranty. Well isn't that special!!! Call from dealer, its the intake something or another but is linked to the timing. Hmm imagine that! Like, really!!!

Good lord help me from going ape sh*t on these people!!!

- Dawn K., Green Bay, WI, US

Apr 192019

Terrain LX V6

I have had on and off issues regarding oil for quite some time. I have had to add oil on several occasions even shortly after oil changes. Didnt take to dealer because the warranty was up. However, the problem became so frequent where I was need to put oil in car weekly; which lead to car being towed to a GMC dealer. During the time in shop, I found out about the recall and call the service dept and was advised that it was not listed under my vin no. I told them that it didn't make sense, I have the same year, make and model with the exact same issue oil consumption with reason described in the recall. They stated it is based on the vin no. How can the be based on a individual vin with the same car is having the same issue. The has lead me to not being able to pay for the repairs that resulted from the oil consumption with the oil consumption not even being repair. So basically I would still have I cant afford the repairs and I still would he the oil consumption problem. For some reason would not allow me to key my vin no which is 2CTALME0B6414688 for this complaint.

- jlovett14, New Albany, US

Jan 092019

Terrain 2.4L cyl

My car has low mileage for a 2011. This is how I get back and forth to work. This is my only vehicle. Do not need the engine to go out since I am still paying for this vehicle. I get oil changes every 3 months whether I need them or not. The car company was absolutely no help at all. They just said to check if you have any warranty. Turns out one happen to expire in 2018 go figure. Had this company or if I knew this type or vehicles have this issue I would of never purchased it.

- Lisa C., Keshena, US

Jan 252016

Terrain SLT 2.4L

My truck was burning oil really bad, therefore after 2 months GM approved the replace the rings and pistons, in 2016, but I really think it was because the mileage was so low...Eventually, it started burning oil again...When I inquired I was advised not to worry because they replaced the rings and pistons already, but to just keep extra oil on hand, because that is just the way GM manufactured the motor...NO NEED TO WORRY!!!!

- Marie G., Monroe, US

Feb 062019

Terrain SLE 2.4L

Upon doing research to find out about the check engine light, I found that there are a number of complaints about excessive oil consumption for this year make and model. I called GM and guess what... the recall just ended 37 days ago. So the solution is to check my oil at least twice a week. Add oil when needed, and wait until I can afford to buy another one. But the good news is there is a special bulletin for the balance chain if you are under 120k miles so that did not cost me anything. GM products are the worse. I'm going back to a Ford as soon as I can afford it. I am very unhappy with them, :( but love my truck. I hate to get rid of it. But I will do research whenever I buy ANYTHING ELSE.

- Claudette B., Cleveland, OH, US

Sep 202018

Terrain SLT 4 cyl

I bought this 2011 GMC Terrain about a year ago and had nothing but problems with it. The camshaft went bad in it while in New York and had to have it towed back for repairs. The oil has also been an issue since day one. I've been putting oil in it, like I drink water...

- Ronald M., Mentor, US

Aug 092018

Terrain SLT 2.4L

Same issue as others, excessive oil consumption ruined the engine.

- Mike G., Hewitt, US

Aug 302018

Terrain

I have less than 28,000 miles on the on a 2011. Last Thursday the engine light came on. I actually parked the car and drove my daughters car for the week to get it in the shop. Today they tell that there's no oil. Yet no oil lights or warnings came on, and there's no leaks. The dealership wants 5000 to put in a new engine.

GMC should be responsible for this I last had an oil change in 21017 and have put on less than 3000 miles in a year My life of oil says 14 percent. No warnings, just blew the engine.. NO ONE at the dealer every warned me that this car has an excessive oil burning problem and that I should add oil to my engine every week. This was suppose to be my last car as I'm retired. I'm not even sure that I'm going to fix this. I won't buy a GMC again.

Does anyone know of a class action suit against GMC for this engine problem? I have done all my oil changes, and recalls as required.

- Wilma G., Vancouver, US

Apr 092018

Terrain SLT 4cly

The old saying is Chevy runs deep. Well now days deep in your pockets to repair what should of been noticed by GMC. I don't have money so I thought I'd by a dependable vehicle and American, mad wrong. I see why people by foreign cars they are built to last and dependable. I don't pay for an oil change, I pay for them to add oil at least every month. Waste of money this GMC 2011 SLT Terrain.

- Brenda B., Rochester, US

Dec 122017

Terrain 2.4L

I am constantly having to add oil to my Terrain within 1500 miles of getting the oil changed. The engine is making rattling noises and when I check the oil is down 3 quarts. Why is this happening? I should not have to put oil in when just getting the oil changed. I understand this is a common problem. If so why is GMC not doing anything to fix this problem for its customers.

- Maryann H., Littlestown, PA, US

Apr 232018

Terrain SLE

Have less than 70,000 on my car and it is burning oil. Took it in to Kool Chevrolet and they are telling me that it needs to replace the pistons and rings. GMC covers Equinox but does not cover Terrain. I thought I brought a car with low mileage and it would last me for the rest of my life. I am going to be 69. Figured this is it last car. Surprise surprise.

- Donna K., Belmont, MI, US

Apr 102018

Terrain

Engine uses too much oil. This is a defect in the engine design. I have had to replace this engine.

- thisiswinning1, Powell, US

Dec 202017

Terrain AND 4

I have spent, in the life of the 2011 Terrain, over 3500 dollars. All work at the Dealership. Thought car would last to

200k miles.

The oil and transmission fluids were burning internally thus pistons and rings were gone, told to put a new engine in.

- Richard C., Wakefield, US

Jun 152017

Terrain V4

I will NEVER BUY A GMC AGAIN. I absolutely HATE the gmc terrain. It has been nothing more then a constant stress and worry in my life. I have spent 5000 dollars to replace the engine and it almost happened again this morning even though the oil life said 33% and it was UNDER the 5000 miles. When they checked the oil, it was 1 quart and a half low and didn't even register on the dip stick. The only reason i took it in was that it was making a god awful rattling noise and reminded me of what happened in June when essentially the motor burned up. I drained my savings to pay for it the first time and won't be able to do a second. I am FED UP with GMC. I will post this complaint and call and file complaints until i get a response from GMC letting me know they actually care about their consumers. This is the 3rd GMC purchase and will be our last!

- carolinehowse, Conway, US

Jan 052018

Terrain SLE 2.4L 4 cyl 6a

Have had the car for 3 years and it has given me nothing but problems. It seems like the check engine light is always coming on and is a costly repair. The biggest issue is over the last 3 years there has been excessive oil consumption, no oil leak just the engine continues to burn the oil up leaving nothing in it. With synthetic oil you are suppose to get 5k miles out of it before a oil change but I constantly had to have additional oil put in around 2k miles. There was always a terrible clicking noise the engine would make and it sounded like a diesel engine running. The check oil light would never come on and the oil gauge never read as low. It is a pain to deal with and just now it took a turn for the worse because I was driving down the road and the check engine light came on and the next time I tried to turn on the car it wouldn't start. Had it towed to the mechanic and it turns out the engine is a total loss because there wasn't any oil. The last oil change I had was LESS than 2k miles ago. GMC has no recalls but knows it is an issue with 2011 Terrains because the dealerships are offering a test to determine if the vehicle is overly consuming oil and will potentially change out the pistons if they validate the issue. It would have been nice to be notified of this before my engine gave out to see if it would have solved the issue but it's to late now. I'm replacing the engine because I still have 2 years left on the loan but can't wait to be done with this car. If you or know of anyone looking at buying a GMC Terrain it will be the worst car decision ever made. I hope GMC will do the right thing and recall this issue or at least do something knowing these issues exist.

- mcolaner11, Massillon, US

Dec 122017

Terrain SLT V6

Just had oil change after engine light came on. Something with cam shaft problem. Check oil level. Four quarts low. Took to Service had oil change on a Monday and Wednesday the engine siezed on the freeway and scared the holy bleep out of my wife. Car a total loss. Repair would be twice the blue book value of the car. NOT repairing the piece of junk. The car actually ran great for six years to the day then up and died a terrible death.

- David G., Angels Camp, CA, US

Oct 112017

Terrain SEL 2.4L

In October went to have oil changed - not quite 5,000 miles on a synthetic oil change. 3 quarts low. Took to mechanic - said oil consumption not leak. Mechanic had researched and found a service bulletin where the excessive oil consumption for a 2.4L engine might be covered under the extended warranty by GMC. Took to GMC dealer, changed pistons and oil. Drove less than 500 miles, engine light came on, drove less than 7 miles with light on, to local Auto Zone. Indicated Engine Control Module. Drove less than 1 mile to GMC dealer - engine overheated in parking lot. After further inspection, service tech said oil was 3 quarts low. That 3 quarts of oil was in the coolant overflow. Problem not resolved. GRRRRR

- barbw62561, Riverton, US

Sep 012017

Terrain LS 3.2L

I brought the car into Don Bohn GMC when I hear the tapping. They changed the fuel pump and said the problem was fixed. One thousand miles before my next oil change I heard the tapping noise. I brought the card to Auto zone checked the oil, no oil on the dip stick, brought it to Napa and checked it again still no oil. The gentleman said to add oil to make sure it does not lock up my engine. So I did. Brought it to the Dealer were I always get my oil changed. He changed my oil and said come back in 1,000 miles. I did and now they are telling me my car will use 1 1/2 quarts of oil per 1,000 miles. THIS IS NORMAL........When I’m 2,000 miles into my oil change put 1 quart of oil into my car to hold me over to my next oil change.......THIS IS NOT NORMAL.....THE CAR SHOULD NOT BE USING OIL.....(it’s not burning the oil) my car is 7 yrs old I need this problem fixed.

- Gina F., Marrero, US