2017 Honda Civic wheels / hubs problems: TPMS / tire replacement issue

TPMS / Tire Replacement Issue

2017 Honda Civic

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

6.0

2017 Honda Civic wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Honda Civic:

2017 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Jul 022018

Civic

TPMS indicator light goes off at highway speed. Tire pressures are fine. Dealer has attempted to reset the system twice but it didn't work as it went off again today.

- John C., West Chester, PA, US

Jun 052017

Civic Touring ?

I purchased a 2017 Honda Civic 5/16. It required a tire replacement 2 weeks later. A replacement tire was put on by a tire shop. They replaced a Continental ProContact with a Continetal ContiProcontact of the same size. Since then the TPMS error message has not been able to be reset or re-calibrated.

After 7 months I was finally told the "newly" designed TPMS required all 4 tires to be of the exact tire model and tread wear for it to be reset. We were also told it may require all 4 tires to be replaced and at least 2. The tires only have 14,000 miles on them. The other option is to drive the car with the TPMS warning on until they need to be replaced because of tread wear.

I have contacted Honda and they told me it was not their issue, and I should have read the owners manual more closely to see one cannot replace just one tire......The Tire shop I took it to and the Honda dealer did not know this either. I was told by the Honda dealer service rep, that they haven't had experience with this "new" design of TPMS as they haven't replaced many tires on the 2017s. They had not received any service bulletins either and they had to call Honda engineering to figure out what was going on. But according to Honda Corporate, I and the tire shop I went to 7 months ago should have known all the tires should be replaced!

I feel this is an unfair and unsafe "systems issue with a newly designed TPMS. The tires "look" exactly the same. Driving the car as it is now, with the TPMS always on despite adequate tire pressure, is not a safe option. If one of the other 3 tires has a failure, how will we be warned. The most bothersome issue is the lack of responsibility I heard from Honda. "It was the tire shop's issue". Even though Honda's own service people didn't know this requirement either.

This seems to be an example of a "bureaucratic" system with poor communication to their front-line workers and consumer. Who wants a car that when 1 tire goes bad needs all 4 replaced regardless of their condition? What happened to the $5.00 pressure gauge? Thank you for your attention to this issue.

- brewer14, Brookfield, US