2013 Hyundai Sonata engine problems: dies while driving

Dies While Driving

2013 Hyundai Sonata

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

8.4

$3,000

2. replacing the engine (3 reports)
2013 Hyundai Sonata engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata:

2013 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Apr 162019

Sonata

I was driving on I 95 when all the dash lights lit and all power was lost. I had to coast to the right hand shoulder and wait an hour and a half for a tow truck back to the dealer. The dealer told me they ordered an engine but have no time frame for when they will get it and have my car fixed. I really do not think I would buy another Hyundai. This car has had numerous recalls and has been an ongoing problem. What is the time frame for getting an engine replaced?

- thomashickey, Delray Beach, US

Nov 012018

Sonata GLS 2.4L

The this car shut off on me on the expressway on my way to work. Call the dealership and they stated they do not sell the engines because of the recall. and if i put another one in good luck.

- pmoney, Philadelphia, US

Feb 282019

Sonata Limited 2.0T 2.4L

I took care of my car as recommended by Hyundai and I was the primary driver. My mileage are all highway. I have a BlueLink subscription primarily for the remote start capability, especially for winter when getting off work. I was on my way to work when I heard what I though was an issue with the fan. Not wanting to take a chance, I decided to turn and head back home. The knocking got progressively worse. Fearing I wasn't go to make it home, I pulled into a tow yard (best decision) and the car died. The car was towed over to a local dealership where the rep sorta hinted there is a known engine defect on 2011-2014 Sonata.

This is my second Sonata as this replaced my 2005 which had over 200k miles when I upgraded. The dealership claims they don't have any loaner vehicles and wouldn't have any for weeks out, as they're all out with customers having major work done.

I was skeptical about getting another Hyundai and depends on how Hyundai deals with my issue will determine if my loyalty to the Hyundai also died on 2/28/2019. This car had an issue with the engine cover which did not stand up to the engine heat and two years ago the oil line to the turbo was somehow compromised.

- mrguyanamd, Annandale, US

Aug 012017

Sonata GLS 2.4L

I've been complaining about my engine problems for over 3 years. I've taken it to 3 different Hyundai dealerships and been dismissed by them all. Now they're telling me my vehicle is past the warranty mileage. I'm looking for anyone who wants to file a class action lawsuit.

Update from Jan 31, 2019: I wanted to update my complaint and let everyone know that after contacting Consumer Affairs it’s the number listed on your recall notice, I got my engine replaced in November.

5 years of complaining, 3 dealerships and countless hours stressed out and inconvenienced I found a dealership in Moreno Valley, CA who was willing to go to bat for me against Hyundai because the bottom line is that’s who the problem is HYUNDAI!

Sadly they are now recalling the replacement motors and the game begins all over.

The only way to get these criminals once and for all is a class action lawsuit. I read Hyundai is being investigated and have lawsuits pending so I plan to gather my facts and contact the wonderful man who assisted me at Consumer Affairs.

- Kristine W., Desert Hot Springs, US

Oct 032017

Sonata GLS 2.4L 4-cyl

We bought a brand new 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS from Hyundai of Kirkland with couple of additional services including maintenance package.

At very first we started experiencing issues with the brake. While applying the brakes, the car used to give a jerk. We reported this during our regular oil change appointment to the dealer but they didn’t find anything. We continued complaining about the brake issue during our next 2 oil change appointments but every time they didn’t find anything. The brake issue stopped by its own.

Next after few months, we started having another serious issue, our car used to stall in the middle of the driving with the check engine light on the dashboard. On turning on the car again it used to start but there was constant check engine light on the dashboard.

When it happened first time, we reported to Hyundai of Kirkland, they simply cleared check engine light but again could not find the cause. But the issue of car stalling did not resolve. Multiple times the car stopped/stalled suddenly in the middle of the freeway which was little frightening; this could have been a life threatening incident for us.

In mean time, we also got recall from Hyundai for the engine stalling issue with separate extended warranty letter. During our next oil change, I was informed that Hyundai of Kirkland resolved the car stalling recall issue. But we experienced this issue again and we almost had an accident with the car behind us.

Considering this serious issue and with multiple bad experiences with Hyundai of Kirkland we decided to go to Hyundai of Everett. The Hyundai of Everett informed us (by looking at the car service history) the car stalling issue is already resolved on our car and if it happened again bring the car ASAP so they can get the code from the check engine light. After this appointment within 15 days we had the issue again and we took the car within half hour to Hyundai of Everett.

Hyundai of Everett found that the carbon was built up in the car throttle body and they resolved it. We got a call to pick up our car from them and on the way home from Hyundai of Everett we had same issue again. We took the car again to them right away. As of now 10/14/2017 our car is still with Hyundai of Everett (almost from 1.5 week) and they are trying to reproduce the issue.

This all has been very frustrating and little frightening for us. We got a brand new Hyundai and now have only 30k miles on it, always serviced on the time with the authorized dealer and still had the issue numerous times.

We want to post this to make our fellow friends aware about this extremely bad and unprofessional experience with Hyundai with such a serious issue.

- Swapnil P., Bothell, US

Aug 012017

Sonata GLS

I've always got my car serviced in time, kept receipts, etc. Just had a major tune up 6/29/17 and on 8/1/2017 the car stop accelerating, all the lights on the dash board started going on and off, the engine started making A EXTREMELY LOUD knocking noise, and completely cut off on a busy highway with kids in the car. I had it towed to the dealership, just to first find out that i have pay for a rental car out of my pocket, until the dealership gets a approval from corporate to do the work. WTF!!! You had a recall on the engine for this very reason, clearly stated not to bring the vehicle in right away because no one had parts, you know it's the engine, but i still have to pay for a rental car. It's been a week, going on two and still no approval. Mind you i still have a car note to pay for a car that is sitting at a dealer lot with a blown up engine.

- jereniaw, Pittsburg, US

Jun 302017

Sonata Limited 2.0L

We are disappointed with the Car stopping on the Middle of Highway while driving. By Baba's Grace,nothing Happened, Otherwise should have been a disaster.

- Srinivasa G., San Diego, CA, US

May 042013

Sonata

Talk about dangerous, first month I had car engine died pulling out into traffic. This has happened so many times I can't remember to list them all separately.

- Nina W., Albrightsville, PA, US

Aug 072016

Sonata GLS 2.4L V4

My car stalled while just sitting at a light. It had sputtered a little before it stalled. When I put it in park and turned the key it turned over a couple times and started again. The check engine light never came on. I took it to my repair place and he put it on the computer but nothing showed up. How or why would the car stall and then not record it on the computer?? I bought my car in July of 2012 even though it was a 2013 model. Hyundai is saying its not part of the recall yet I got a letter saying my warranty was extended to 120,000 miles and I also got a letter about the class action suit. I only had 36000 miles on the car when I had to get a new fuel injector then a month later the fuel line got a crack in it. Of course I didn't buy their extended warranty so it cost me over $900 to repair. Not feeling very safe now that this issue has come to light. I am worried that because the recall requires a new engine that Hyundai is not including all vehicles they should.

- pcoulter77, Southaven, MS, US

Sep 062015

Sonata 2.4L

While driving, the car just died. I had the alternator replaced and suddenly heard a very bad knocking noise. Was driving the car the next day and it died again. Had the battery replaced. Next day, same thing. Car died again. Get a recall notice for the engine control module which is probably the cause of all this. The nearest place is 25 miles away so I dare not drive it that far, I was told it was not under warranty so as soon as I have it towed there they can fix it for me.

- Patti S., Hannibal, NY, US