2017 Hyundai Sonata body / paint problems: paint peeling

Paint Peeling

2017 Hyundai Sonata

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

5.0

1. repaint (2 reports)
2017 Hyundai Sonata body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Hyundai Sonata:

2017 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Jul 052019

Sonata Limited

Purchased my Hyundai Sonata 1 yr ago. Noticed a few months ago that I had a couple of minor chips in the paint where the roof meets the windshield. Last week the paint on the roof looked like it was starting to bubble. Now the paint is peeling off in big swatches all the way to the primer/frame!! I contacted body repair, only to be informed that this is a WIDE SPREAD problem that Hyundai is aware of and it is faulty manufacturing!! I was advised that too repair the roof paint it would be $2,000 !!! Are you kidding me??

Advised to contact Hyundai as they should pay for the repair. I contacted Hyundai customer service and was advised the paint was only covered for 36,000 ! Are you F-ING kidding me??? Advised me to contact a local dealer. I then researched to see if other people have had this problem and the internet is full of "peeling paint" issues from Hyundai! I'm LIVID!

There was a class action lawsuit that was dismissed for some reason, and never refiled (even though the judge encouraged plaintiffs to refile the lawsuit). I say we get legal representation and file a new class action lawsuit against Hyundai. Had I known of this issue, or of the "exploding sunroof" issues I would NEVER have bought this car- or any car from Hyundai! Best warranty in the business? GIVE ME A BREAK !!!! And I purchased an extended warranty !! For what??

- Kimberly H., Georgetown, KY, US

Dec 212018

Sonata ES 2.4L 4 cyl

click to see larger images

paint peeling

I can see after a little research that this has been a problem with Hyundai cars. This is the second new Hyundai I have purchased. The first was a 2004 Elantra that I put 214,000 miles on with only general maintenance. That lead me to stick with Hyundai for my new purchase. This just happened yesterday on the hi-way coming home from work. As long as Hyundai covers it under warranty I will still be very pleased with their products. We'll see?

Update from Jan 21, 2019: I took the car to the Hyundai dealership and they repainted the problem area. They did a great job and also took care of 2 recall issues while i was there. All done at no cost to me. Very satisfied.

- Peggy E., Pembroke Pines, FL, US