2017 Hyundai Sonata engine problems: engine died while driving

Engine Died While Driving

2017 Hyundai Sonata

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

9.5

2017 Hyundai Sonata engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Hyundai Sonata:

2017 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Aug 092019

Sonata Sport 4.0L

This is the FOURTH time this has happened in this car. I bought the car BRAND NEW and each time I take it in they tell me they cannot re-create the issue and do not know what is wrong. The first time was the same day I got my first oil change and I called back to the dealership. Because it started back up, I thought it was a fluke. It happened 2 other times and I took it in. They replaced the crank shaft under recall. Today, they told me it is no longer under dealership warranty! I see this issue all over the web. Something is going on! Not my first rodeo with a Hyundai Sonata issue that resulted in complete engine replacement. They will not take ownership until someone gets hurt.

- Melissa J., Virginia Beach, US

Jul 062017

Sonata Hybrid Limited

Same Problem: Hybrid Failure Shut Off Engine. However, this occurred in Harrisburg, PA while going over a long bridge over the Potomac River. The engine went into LIMP Mode which propels vehicle a 20 MPH. No place to pull over. Semi Trucks coming from behind.... very, very scary.

Contacted BlueLink and got appointment with Massey Hyundai in Hagerstown, MD No problem could be found by this dealer.

- R Ken M., Spartanburg, SC, US

Jul 102017

Sonata Hybrid Limited

Dealer could not find any computer codes to identify what was happening with vehicle. Kept the vehicle for two days. Problem is unresolved.

- R Ken M., Spartanburg, SC, US

Feb 072017

Sonata ES Sport

Engine died, all lights turned off while driving on a street. Was able to pull over, put the car in park and restart. Brought the car to the dealer who said they couldn't diagnose the problem or duplicate the event. Called Hyundai, waiting for call back. Thank God that I wasn't driving on the highway, otherwise could have caused a major crash!

- pashas66, Brooklyn, NY, US