2019 Hyundai Sonata engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2019 Hyundai Sonata:

2019 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Jul 192020

Sonata

Exhaust tip under right rear bumper extends past end of bumper. A few weeks ago someone burned their leg while accessing the trunk. Yesterday, a separate person was also burned from same exhaust tip from standing close to bumper to access the trunk. We had 2016 Sonata for 4 years and never experienced burns from similar exhaust tip. Car was parked on level driveway. Car was warmed up from recent drive and turned off.

- Wayne, PA, USA

Jul 202019

Sonata

I purchased a 2019 Sonata demo vehicle with 5,020 miles in June 2019. I removed the temporary tag and replaced with permanent tag on July 16. On July 20, while driving on the expressway at approximately 65mph, the engine overheating alert came on and the temperature gauge was on hot. I pulled over on the side of the expressway and waited for hours (in nearly 100 degree summer heat) to have a new vehicle towed to the dealership. The service department advised me that the water pump malfunctioned and caused the belt to tear. The service department could not provide a reason for why the water pump/belt malfunctioned on a new vehicle. The water pump and the belt were replaced after the service department had my vehicle for a about a week. The service department advised me that I should not have any further issues with the vehicle. The repairs were completed on 7/29/19. On August 16, I took my vehicle back to the dealership because it appears that the replaced/new belt is splitting/tearing. The service department advised me that there is nothing wrong with the belt, however, there is clearly visible evidence that the new belt is splitting also. I have attached a photo of the vehicle prior to the repairs; a photo of the new belt that is currently splitting; the original service repair document and the document of the service department advising me that nothing is wrong with the new belt. From the photo, you can clearly see that the new/replaced belt is splitting also and it is just a matter of time before the engine will overheat again and I will be on the side of the road waiting for a tow. Again, the service department did not have an explanation as to what caused the water pump/belt to malfunction and now they are denying that there is an issue with the replaced belt.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 192019

Sonata

2019 Sonata 2.0T with just over 11K miles on it began to suddenly studder and want to stall at low RPM or at the stop. Obdii error code P0302. Dealership said cylinder 2 had little to no compression and needed repair. Could barely limp vehicle to dealership and smell the unburned fuel being ported out of the exhaust.

- Grovetown, GA, USA

Apr 142019

Sonata

I have lease this car since 1/16/2019 until 4/14/19. Start first with lower the speed and power just a little bit. Then 4/14/19 the car lower the speed by itself, start shaking up, limp, shows the engine light and the speed control ligh in conjunction with slippery control ligh then stay at "temporary engine protection mode" lossing speed and cant drive safely. Just park the car at the safe parking lot to tow at the nearest Hyundai dealer for inspection O repair. It can be dangerous for others drivers. When I get the report of the issue and receipt I will submit soon as possible. If any recall happen.

- Waterbury, CT, USA