8.0

2018 Hyundai Tucson engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Hyundai Tucson:

2018 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments

Jul 012020

Tucson Sport

INITIALLY JUST THOUGHT IT WAS THE LAG DUE TO THE TURBO, PUNCHING TO SH*T N GIT, IS CLEAR HESITATION, UNTIL THE TURBO KICKS IN. NOW THERE IS ALMOST A STAHLING ACTION EVEN IN TRAFFIC, W/ NORMAL ACCELERATON FEELS LIKE THERE IS A 7 SPD TRANS, W/ A CREEPER GEAR THAT QUICKLY SHIFTS TO 2ND HIGHER GEAR WHEN THE TURBO KICKS IN.

could be a clutch, malfuction or poor design

YES, i DO AGREE W/THE OTHERS, THAT THIS POSES A DEFINITE SAFETY PROBLEM,

AND AN ADJUSTMENT IN THE COMPUTER SPEED SENSOR OF THE TRANS COULD BE ALL THAT IS NEEDED TO RECTIFY THE PROBLEM.

- Patrick C., The Villages, FL, US

May 302019

Tucson

Can't believe my 2018 is having a problem. When I am not a complete stop and go to accelerate there is delayed acceleration. Once I am driving the vehicle is fine. Took it in for service and was told it had something to do with the vehicle having a clutch. Now that my driver's side keyless entry doesn't work -- I will address this issue when I take it in for service.

I like the vehicle but hope I didn't make a mistake with purchasing a Hyundai.

- Cassandra H., ERDENHEIM, US

Aug 152019

Tucson SEL Plus 2.0L

2018 SEL Plus. Acceleration issues. The car refuses to accept the Gas pedal press for a few seconds. The delayed response and acceleration has put me close to near accidents countless times.

issue has popped up numerous times, but not every day. It happens when you least expect it. When it happens, it always puts me in a near accident situation. This car has been a severe safety risk for me. Others with the same issue were not able to have theres fixed yet (at this point of time; to my knowledge). So I am hesitant to leave my car at at the shop for days/weeks.

- Sharmelan S., Arlington, TX, US

Jul 032018

Tucson Value 1.6L Turbo Charged Gdi

Noticed that when you pull out from a complete stop there is a slight delay in acceleration. Its a hesitation. Which could definitely be dangerous.

- dm810f, Greensburg, US

Oct 192018

Tucson SE 2.0L

New vehicle with occasional hesitation and almost stalling from start. Took in to dealer with no help. Was told to keep driving and try different modes. Does happen less often if not in eco mode.

- bill.mckay, Delta, BC, Canada

Mar 022018

Tucson Sport 1.6L

Without question what I have experienced is a serious safety issue. Over the course of the last 2 years since I've owned the car, I consistently experience what some describe as turbo lag and others have considered it a problem with the dual clutch transmission. All I know is that occasionally after stopping, there is a tremendous lag in acceleration when I step on the gas. It has occurred in both Normal and Sport modes. It's unpredictable and has happened numerous times when pulling out in traffic. I never know if the car is going to accelerate or not and it's dangerous to drive. Many times it has limped out into oncoming traffic only to surge ahead once it gets going. There is some lag before it takes off. I can press on the accelerator and nothing happens. This uncertainty can scare the hell out of the driver. It has also happened when the car is just rolling along when going less than 5 mph, such as in a left turn lane. I get worried that someday it's going to surge into the rear end of the car in front of me. Hyundai has attempted to fix it by performing what they termed as a dual clutch relearn which has not been successful. It has been assigned a Techline Case # 2019030102195. I can't believe somebody hasn't been killed because of the unpredictability of the acceleration. After many months of tolerating this condition I have once again taken it to the dealership to see if anything can be done to fix this problem. I like the car because it's enjoyable to drive, gets reasonable gas mileage, has a sporty feel and look to it and accommodates our lifestyle very well, and has many attributes we wanted in a car. I am now toying with the idea of selling it and getting something else because of concerns for our safety!

- Dan S., Park City, US