2018 Jeep Compass engine problems: excessive oil consumption

Excessive Oil Consumption

2018 Jeep Compass

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

9.0

1. engine replacement (1 reports)
2018 Jeep Compass engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Jeep Compass:

2018 Jeep Compass Owner Comments

Jul 172019

Compass Latitude 2.4L

I bought a 2018 Jeep Compass in May 2019 with about 8,200km on it at the time. I am the second owner. The previous owner only had it for about 3 months, so this car was practically brand new. After about a month or 2 of owning it, my hubby and I noticed it was acting weird and stalling. Luckily he's mechanically savvy and thought to check the oil, Sure enough, it was almost completely dry! We thought maybe it was just a fluke or something so we topped it off. The same thing started happening again after about 3 or 4 weeks and it was dry again! This thing GUZZLES oil like you wouldn't believe! The dealership I bought it from did nothing for me. They said they would look into it and never contacted me back. I took it to a different one and they were very nice and helpful. They looked it over and saw no leaks anywhere, so we started doing oil consumption tests. They winded up replacing the whole engine because it was so messed up.

- Heather M., Kelowna, BC, Canada

Feb 012018

Compass 2.4L

Oil consumption is ridiculous. Told by dealership that the 2.4L is supposed to burn 1 quart every 2000 miles because it runs hot. Again, this is ridiculous. If I go on a trip across the country, I have to put a case of oil in the back of my brand new vehicle. 11,000 miles now and went through 4 quarts at my expense. No warning given.

I have a 16 year old that drives this and the reason I put her in it was for safety purposes. This is not safe. I heard the motor ticking and decided to check the oil at 5,000 miles and it did not register. This can't be good on the motor. Again, no warning. What I got was a lecture from the mechanic because the oil was too low. How would a 16 year old girl know to check the oil every 2,000 miles.

This needs to be remedied. No info given from salesperson. No warning given from manufacturer. This is a rip off. And shrugging responsibility is wrong. Saying this is normal or expected. Bullshit. Its a flaw that wasn't caught and Jeep doesn't want to be responsible financially.

I have and have had Chrysler/Jeep products. Will I again? My 07 Malibu with 200,000 miles on it that I haven't changed the oil in I couldn't tell you how long still runs and has oil on the stick.

Step up Jeep. You are really putting safety at risk here.

- dcops44, Lambertville, US