- April 1: Chrysler 'Pentastar Tick' Lawsuit Says Warranty Is Faulty news | 6 days ago
- March 30: Jeep Hacking Lawsuit Dismissed news | 8 days ago
- March 12: Jeep Clutch Pressure Plate Recall For Wranglers, Gladiators recalls | 26 days ago
- March 11: Jeep 'Death Wobble' Class Action Lawsuit Filed in California news | 27 days ago
- March 6: Chrysler Active Headrest Lawsuit Blames Cheap Plastic news | 32 days ago
Jeep Preliminary Evaluation PE15025: Air Bag Clockspring Wiring Failure
2012 Jeep Wrangler
Air Bag Clockspring Wiring Failure
- In it's response to ODI's PE15-025 Information Request letter, FCA identified 1,703 consumer complaints, field reports and legal claims responsive to the subject defect condition on the subject Wrangler vehicles.Six of these reports alleged an air bag non-deployment in a crash in which either the air bag warning light was allegedly on or came on afterward the crash, one of which also alleged injuries as a result of the non-deployment.FCA also provided data on other make, model and model year vehicles using the same clockspring.Additionally FCA provided 16,955 warranty claims related to the replacement of the air bag clockspring wiring assembly.It should be noted that FCA initiated an Extended Warranty Program on the left hand drive MY 2007 Wrangler in late calendar year 2011.6,777 of these claims are from the MY 2007 left hand drive Wrangler.FCA advises that some of the warranty claims involved clockspring failures that would not affect the air bag operation, for example due to noise, cruise control and/or radio operation issues.Many of these claims involved newer model year subject vehicles.FCA also noted that Wrangler's removable roof and door configuration may make it more susceptible to outdoor water/moisture and dust ingress.ODI investigated the right hand drive Wrangler in calender year 2011 for a similar clockspring issue under PE11-019.That investigation lead to NHTSA Safety Recall 11V258 on right hand drive model year (MY) 2008-2012 Wranglers.FCA redesigned the remedy clockspring to improve its durability and environmental protection and revised the design of the steering wheel to column shroud.Base on the data reviewed, this Preliminary Analysis (PE) is being upgraded to an Engineering Analysis (EA).The reports cited above are listed in the public investigative file available at SaferCar.gov under this investigation ID.
- Documents (5)
Click a tab for more information.