2014 Kia Soul steering NHTSA complaints: Steering

NHTSA — Steering Problems

2014 Kia Soul (Page 1 of 3)

2014 Kia Soul steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Kia Soul:

2014 Kia Soul Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 282019

Soul

I am writing in regards to a previous complaint I filed earlier. I was never notified by the Kia company about a recent recall on 2014 Kia Soul hatchbacks. The recall for faulty catalytic converters which can lead to engine damage is what is stated under the advisory. When my Kia Soul was looked at by a local Kia dealership it was found that the engine needed to be replaced. The repairs fell under the recall at no cost to me. I'm relieved it's being taken care of, but disappointed with Kia's customers service. My concerns are about safety. Kia needs to know that the Kia Soul hatchback + is affected by the recall and they need to notify their customers to prevent what happened to me.

- Farmington, NM, USA

Aug 282019

Soul

As I drove home I heard an unusual sound coming from my engine. The oil pressure light began to flicker on and off. Once home I checked my oil level and I had no oil showing on the dip stick. I filled the oil reservoir with the correct oil type but now the indicator light was solid and no longer flashing. Driving home a few miles after getting oil my vehicle would not accelerate and I almost lost control of steering twice. No smoke was coming from the engine but my vehicle is not safe to drive. I contacted Kia customer service with concerns about the current recall on the Kia Soul but was told there is no recall on my particular model. Usually I am notified if my vehicle is affected by possible recalls and they are fixed right away. I was never notified about this recall and now my vehicle may have possible damage because of it. My concern is that I wasn't notified and repairs might not be covered by Kia. I ran my VIN number numerous times and nothing came up for a recall. I researched possible symptoms of what could cause what I experienced. I was surprised to learn that possible damage caused by the catalytic converter could be what happened to my vehicle. The following issues were loss of acceleration, loss of oil, loss of control in steering. Thankfully no engine fire though.

- Farmington, NM, USA

Jul 262019

Soul

I went to the Kia dealership and they did the recall on my engine. The cuyler dealership told me that they would need to replace the cop ECU logic and the catalytic converter. They told me that the engine doesn't need to be replaced. I got the recall done on a Friday., and the next day my check engine light was back on and my oil light keeps coming on. I believe I need a whole new engine. I'm just really disappointed in how it turned out. My check engine light should not be on!

- Schererville, IN, USA

May 182019

Soul

I was on business 85 my steering wheel went out I couldn't turn my wheel left. I ended up having to jerk my steering wheel to the right turning in a complete circle to avoid traffic and get off the road. After completely stopping I ended up near a ditch and grave yard. At this point I turn my car off and turned it back on to see if it would work, but my steering wheel would just turn in a complete circle. My horn or nothing wouldn't work on my steering wheel it just made clicking noises.

- High Point, NC, USA

Feb 012016

Soul

The contact owns a 2014 Kia Soul. Shortly after the vehicle was purchased, it randomly stalled. The engine was hesitant and the check engine indicator illuminated. Riverchase Kia (2200 us-31, pelham, al 35124, (205) 987-6518) was notified of the failure. The contact later received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 19V120000 (engine and engine cooling) and 17V608000 (steering). The contact scheduled an appointment, but the dealer did not provide the repairs within the timeframe that they indicated. The dealer did not offer a loaner vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was not available.

- Billingsley, AL, USA

Dec 012017

Soul

The steering wheel will exhibit a sticky or notchy feeling when making small adjustments. It causes fatigue while driving and most dangerously on sweeping turns the steering wheel will take extra effort to adjust.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Nov 052017

Soul

Hi I was looking at recalls for the Soul after I saw a possible fire hazard and actually typed my VIN in and saw my car was recalled for a steering issue that could┐ve lead to accidents and I was actually in an accident in 2017 in my 2014 Kia Soul because of something that happened with my steering that caused me to hit someone? a woman in front of me slammed on her brakes and when I tried to get over it's almost like the wheel had completely locked but up but I could still turn it, if that makes sense. There was a weird clunking noise when it happened and sometimes I still hesrit occasionally. I would like to know how to go forward with this. Thank you so much.

- Valley Village, CA, USA

Feb 152019

Soul

I was driving about 30 mph North on harbor blvd and first St in California sudendly I heard a loud knocking/clicking sound coming from the lower left side of the engine & no error codes came on prior to the noise so I pulled over and called a tow truck to take my vehicle to the nearest mechanic. Until today mechanic has unknown origin of problem

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Feb 102018

Soul

At 10000mi, this car lost pick- up, then charging outlets failed. By 30000mi, the brakes were mushy and weak, the engine makes noise, steering issues and weird smells started to occur. By 45000mi, the brake light failed, vibration/shaking, hesitation and lurching (on its own), gas millage was cut in half, rmps/idle unusually high, faulty/ failed sensors, fuel gauge failure, heating/blower failure. Dealerships will not look into anything without a "code" tripping, and I was told by their mechanic that Kia corporate will not allow any investigation of issues without a diagnostic code, so my warranty woun't cover the high price of finding the issues. I get in the car, start it up and the noise and rev is not normal. I drive 10 feet and the car starts shaking and making noise. When I tried to turn on the heat, loud noises started under the hood, and the engine would rev, when the car revved, the heat would kick on for 2 sec then fall out again. It now doesn't perform at all. When I accelerate after a stop light, it won't move for several seconds, then putters and goes. I have almost gotten into many accidents because of this.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Oct 012018

Soul 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Kia Soul. While driving at unknown speeds, the front end of the vehicle shook. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the struts needed to be replaced. The contact was referred to the local dealer. The vehicle was taken to Kia of dayton (8560 troy pike, huber heights, oh 45424, (937) 500-5461) where it was diagnosed that the steering column bolt was missing, there was front end damage, and the rocker arm needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 46,900... ┐parts of this document have been redacted to protect personally identifiable information pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6).┐

- Tipp City, OH, USA

Jan 222018

Soul

Recall 17V608 did not fix prior recall 14V332 and 15V736 problems, caused failure of steering, airbags, and engine. Accident ensued. Vehicle was driven on city street at speed under 40 mph. Driver went to change lanes and steering would not work. Rear-ended vehicle in front. Air bag did not go off, change lane indicator was noted on at scene. Driver states vehicle would not move into lane to the right and, therefore, rear-ended vehicle. Severe damage to front end of Kia Soul noted. Kia was contacted.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Dec 122017

Soul

Received an important safety recall on 12/01/2017 regarding the pinion gear that may separate from the steering gear assembly causing loss of steering & result in a crash. I called immediately to set an appointment on 12/12/2017. I was called just 1/2 prior to my appointment to be told they do not have the tools to fix the problem. In fact, no Kia dealership in the area has it. I am driving across the state of fl in a few days & am extremely worried since I will be driving at high speeds in traffic. So, Kia alerts Soul owners & fails to provide the means to fix the problem. I am told it will be several weeks before they have the tools needed to repair. My particular car has had a stiffness in turning the steering wheel a few times. I need my vehicle for this trip, but, will inquire about a loaner car. This is unacceptable.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Nov 292017

Soul

We received a recall letter. The pinion in the steering is faulty and could come loose causing an accident which may result is serious injury or death. I brought it in immediately. They could not fix it. I asked them to keep it as we do not feel safe driving it. We asked for a replacement car while we waited. They said no. We left the car anyway and I called the number on the recall notice. It said they would reimburse us for any inconvenience or expenses incurred. The woman said they would not reimburse me until the car was looked at. She asked me to continue driving around a vehicle with a known issue risking my family's lives because they won┐T give me a replacement vehicle. As money is very tight we are making due but it has been a severe inconvenience to say the least. This problem has nothing to do with us and leaving the car with them is a safety issue. Not work I wanted done or upgrades I chose to wait for. It is their mistake and I don┐T believe a customer should be forced to pay for it. I would like companies with recalls to be held responsible and service people fairly. I┐M great full that we have not been injured due to this issue and to drive knowing it is there is foolish. The companies response asking me to drive around in a potentially hazardous vehicle is absurd.

- Rocky Point, NY, USA

Aug 192017

Soul

I was driving my 2014 Kia Soul on high way 45 South when all of a sudden the power steering started failing, and so I pulled over and then I saw the power steering stopped working completely and when tried steering the wheel made noices

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Apr 122017

Soul

At 37,000 miles the rack and pinion broke. This disabled the clock spring which disabled the air bags. Was traveling about 25 mph and steering failed. Thank god I was not on expressway going 55mph or when the rack and pinion broke my steering ability would have been lost and no air bags deployed in the event of a crash. Vehicle towed to Kia and rack and pinion replaced. I have another 2014 Kia Soul and I worry the same thing may happen to it. Kia told me that this is not a common problem and was a part failure.

- Rockland, MA, USA

Feb 012017

Soul

Since I've owned my 2014 Kia Soul, I've had to deal with a recall for the a pin (so my steering wheel won't stop working) and my a problem with my axel nut 2/01/2017, which began shaking my vehicle on hwy 16, almost causing an accident. I had that fixed and just had a recall service and realized this was something I already paid for, which I've requested a refund. In between those instances, I had both headlights stop working, in the dark, while I was driving on a poorly lit hwy 302. I had those replaced and the driver side went out again, at night, while I was driving. I was told that the headlight connections were melted. I did some research and this seems to be a common occurrence. With that said...this car had a potential issue with rolling, steering and visibility...probably wouldn't happen all at once but you never know. Regardless, I'm starting to wonder how safe this vehicle really is and would hope that Kia would be a responsible company and assist with helping the customer remedy these concerns. I really am concerned for my safety and will be driving another vehicle more regularly. Kia told me that since there is no open recall on the headlights than there is nothing they could do. I hope they understand that all 3 of the aforementioned issues are significant but fear my concerns fell on deaf ears. Maybe an official review with NHTSA will keep Kia accountable to their actions or lack there of. Thanks for your time. Jeff rose

- Silverdale, WA, USA

Apr 242017

Soul

The contact owned a 2014 Kia Soul. While the contact's son was driving and attempting to make a right turn, the steering wheel suddenly locked. The driver crashed into the curb and the vehicle rolled over. The vehicle was destroyed and towed. The air bags deployed. A police report was filed. The driver sustained cuts and bruises all over his body, which required medical attention. The contact informed the dealer who stated that the vehicle was included in a manufacturer recall (SC144). Prior to the crash, the drive shaft hub nut was replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 26,000.

- Dacula, GA, USA

May 052017

Soul

I have right at 60,000 miles on my Kia Soul. Was driving and pinion broke was totally unaware of recall until I took car to mechanic he advised me to get with Kia because it was a safety recalled issue. First dealer I called told me it was recalled but they will only replace pin not the damage that the pin failure caused. Then told me that they were going to see if they could get it covered asked if they could call me back. Now I am currently working with another dealer can't use original dealer I moved and they were bought out. Guess we will see if I am able to get safety recall fixed and how much it cost me if it did any other damage that was caused by known manufacture default. Steering wheel popped air bag lights, steering wheel light, and could barely turn the car. I am also going to have to pay out of pocket it get car towed to Kia dealership.

- Forney, TX, USA

Feb 282017

Soul

The contact owns a 2014 Kia Soul. While driving approximately 15 mph and attempting to make a left turn, the vehicle failed to turn and continued to go straight down a hill. The power steering was inoperable. The vehicle went off road and finally stopped. The vehicle was towed. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. In addition, the contact stated that the headlamps would flicker suddenly and the vehicle would stall briefly, and then accelerate or decelerate without warning. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer, but the cause of the failures was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 41,000.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 022017

Soul

2014 Kia Soul steering failure 16 months after recall repair was done to prevent it (NHTSA campaign id number 15V736000). The steering made a clunking sound while making a left turn at a stop sign on a city street and the car continued straight across the intersection. Steering ability was completely disconnected. 29,000 miles on the odometer. Dealer inspection found the rack and pinion plug repair procedure was not involved, and instead the cause was the spline separating from the shaft. No cause was identified. Manufacturer was notified.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA