- January 10: Jaguar Land Rover InControl Lawsuit Alleges Systems Fail news | 13 days ago
- December 29: Land Rover Recalls Range Rover Evoque SUVs recalls | 25 days ago
- December 19: Land Rover Recalls Discovery Sports, Range Rover Evoques recalls | 35 days ago
- November 19: Land Rover Discovery Recall Issued For Loss Of Power recalls | 65 days ago
- November 12: Land Rover Recalls Discovery Sports and Range Rover Evoque MHEVs recalls | 72 days ago
Land Rover Preliminary Evaluation PE05034: BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH FAILURE
2004 Land Rover Discovery II
BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH FAILURE
Exterior Lighting:Brake Lights
Exterior Lighting:Brake Lights:Switch
Service Brakes, Hydraulic:Switches:Brake Light
- On June 16, 2005, the Office Of Defects Investigation (ODI) opened a preliminary evaluation to investigate alleged stop lamp (brake) switch failures in certain model year (MY) 2004 Land Rover discovery series II vehicles.ODI sent a letter to the manufacturer on June 24, 2005 requesting information about these and other Land Rover vehicles.analysis of manufacturer data shows a high failure frequency for stop lamp switches on subject vehicles manufactured from approximately December 2, 2003 through May 13, 2004.all 8,763 subject vehicles built during this period were equipped with a self-adjusting stop lamp switch supplied by methode electronics malta, ltd. (methode).in September 2003, methode moved the production of an internal switch component, known as the slider mechanism, from a validated plastic injection molding tool (┐cavity 1┐) to another tool (┐cavity 2┐) that had not been used before to produce parts for Land Rover.sliders from cavity 2 may be characterized by poor fill and lack of definition in the slider teeth.consequently, the slider is unable to restrain improper movement of the plunger during normal brake pedal operation.this causes the switch to fall out of adjustment, thus significantly reducing the effort required to energize the switch and illuminate the stop lamps.the most common symptom described by complainants and documented in warranty claim records is stop lamps that remain constantly illuminated.documents provided by the manufacturer indicate that certain MY 2002 through 2005 Land Rover freelander vehicles use a substantially similar stop lamp switch that also suffers from a high failure frequency.this investigation has been upgraded to an engineering analysis (EA05-016) to further study the frequency, scope and safety consequences of the alleged defect.
- Documents (7)
- IR TO MFR * 6/24/05 * P
- LAND ROVER 8/31/2005 LETTER TO ODI RECEIVED IN ODI 9/1/05
- LAND ROVER RESPONSE ONE CD-ROM- APPENDICES A-H AND M
- LAND ROVER RESPONSE TO IR DATED JUNE 24, 2005 WITH ENCLOSURES.
- MEMO 8/31/2005 TO TIS, ONE CD, LAND ROVER 8/31/2005 APPENDIX I & K
- CLOSING RESUME APPROVED * 10/14/05 * P
- OPENING RESUME APPROVED * 6/16/05 * P
Click a tab for more information.