2016 Lincoln MKX electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Lincoln MKX:

2016 Lincoln MKX Owner Comments

May 252019

MKX

In may and June of 2019 on 2 different occasions, our 2016 Lincoln Mkx ignition ¿turned off¿ on its own without any input by the driver while using cruise-control on a crowded highway going 75 mph! when it occurred, a text message was displayed superimposed over the tachometer that read: ¿caution: Ignition turned off¿. fortunately, when it turned off, the car automatically shifted into ¿neutral¿ instead of ¿park¿, which it does automatically when the ignition switch is used to turn the car ¿off¿! after it shut off, we coasted in ¿neutral¿ without power brakes or power steering while surrounded by mack trucks and other cars. Thank god there was a shoulder on the roadway where we could safely pull over. Before we could attempt to restart the car, we had to coast to a complete stop, put the car in ¿park¿, depress the brake pedal, and press the ignition button. Had we been in a work-zone w/concrete barricades and no shoulder, we could have been run over/killed by a mack truck and/or other car(s) approaching from behind at high speeds. The service manager at our Lincoln dealership said they have never heard of this occurrence, but we easily found two (2) websites discussing this issue regarding the Mkx. We can only wonder how many people may have already died with no explanation about why they were at a full stop on a busy highway. Because we restarted the car, the service manager said the "error" history in the computer was erased - bad programing! both times our incidents happened, we had been driving about an hour on the highway. The car has been ¿in the shop¿ at the dealership for 2 weeks, and we are still awaiting an explanation and fix. I¿M not sure I¿ll ever feel confident/safe enough to drive it again!

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 112019

MKX

On 5/11/19, I was driving about 50mph when the entire dash went dark, which also caused the engine to stop running (with 3/4 tank of gas) as I looked at an ¿all power off¿ displayed in the information area of the dash (that normally displays the trip mileage indicator). I immediately pressed the emergency flash button which worked. Fortunately, I was in the right hand lane and had enough speed to simply coast to a safe area on the right shoulder. With the engine not running, I felt I had one chance to use the power brake pedal to stop the car. Had this occurred in a different place, my entire family could have been killed and no one would have known the reason was due to ¿car failure¿. I looked on the internet and found a number of complaints about the engine just stopping that have been documented with cases sent to NHTSA. Their frustration in summary is this: The service department says they can¿T reproduce the problem. To be clear; I just received a call from my Lincoln dealership on 5/15/19, as the service rep said they can¿T find a computer error code for the problem, and there is nothing else they can do at this point if they can¿T replicate the problem. At this point, I believe that if you see something fail, and don¿T resolve it, you¿ll see it again. Therefore, I don¿T trust this car as safe to drive. It is not an acceptable option to hear that your service department can¿T reproduce the problem. This may require your design engineers to be involved. The question is simple, ¿what items can cause the computer to ¿all power off¿. no middle ground here as it is a life threatening issue that I just lived through.

- Manchester Township, NJ, USA

Sep 042017

MKX

Back tail gate came back up after thought to be closed. Causing damage to the lift gate hitting the top of the garage door.

- Greenville, MI, USA

Apr 102017

MKX 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2016 Lincoln Mkx. The contact noticed an abnormal toxic odor of strong fumes inside the vehicle weeks after purchasing the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to more than two dealers (first dealer: Wallace Lincoln, 5555 us-1, fort pierce, fl 34982, (772) 461-6060 and second dealer: Paradise Ford, 1360 w king St, cocoa, fl 32922, (321) 632-2222), but the odor issue was not resolved. The contact continued to inhale the toxic fumes. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and did not provide any further diagnostic testing. The contact received no solution and was uncertain of a repair remedy. The approximate failure mileage was less than 250. Updated 08/24/17

- Sebastian, FL, USA

Apr 092017

MKX

After start and short drive including a left than right turn. At stop sign, vehicle dashboard lit up with safety warnings, started shaking, lost power, and started on fire. Smoke began in drivers side engine compartment and engulfed whole engine. Vehicle was serviced two days prior.

- Clarence Center, NY, USA

Sep 162016

MKX

On 3 separate occasions (most recent on 9/16/16) power to vehicle simply cuts out - on two occasions it has occurred at high speeds on busy interstate with heavy traffic. Extreme danger, as unable to timely pull to side of the road causing traffic jams and potential accidents/rear-ends. Selling dealer has been unable to resolve or fix problem.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jan 042016

MKX

The contact owns a 2016 Lincoln Mkx. The contact stated that the warning indicator illuminated to check the head lamp system and "see manual on the display" displayed on the message board. The vehicle was taken to the dealer twice, but they were unable to replicate and diagnose the failure. The dealer reprogrammed the hcm, but the warning indicator flashed several times again months later. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer a third time for further testing again and they later told the contact to pick up the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified. The contact was waiting for a response from the manufacturer. The approximate failure mileage was 365.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Aug 112016

MKX

The contact owns a 2016 Lincoln Mkx. While driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle lost power and failed to restart. The all wheel drive indicator illuminated. The contact called for roadside assistance, but the vehicle restarted before they arrived. The failure recurred on the way to the dealer, but the vehicle restarted. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and informed the contact to document what happened. The failure mileage was 4,500.

- Queens Village, NY, USA

Jul 102016

MKX

2016 Lincoln Mkx has stalled numerous times. We left home and had driven about a mile in our subdivision when I slowed for and stopped at stop sign. The engine shuddered and shook, engine revolutions slowed down. Sped up, slowed down and engine quit. The message, "full accessory power active¿ displayed on the dash and my wife got a pad and pencil and copied it down for me. This was the second time that has happened and evidently was the same message displayed when the engine quit while we were on vacation in new orleans. Checked the internet and found several instances to this happening due to a computer glitch. Ford has known about this problem for some time. Do we have to get killed before Ford corrects their faulty computers? to make matters worse, I had scheduled and appointment with my dealer, drove 31 miles, only to find out the service department had no knowledge of my appointment. Spoke with the service manager on 21 July and he told me he would send me an email by the end of the week. Well the end of the week is here and I've not heard anything yet. It is my understanding that the Mkx is a glorified Ford edge and that the stalling problems were on-going for several years.

- Navarre, FL, USA

Jan 152016

MKX

Sync 3 navigation unit faulted out freezing some of the controls on the center stack. Phone functions (including 911 assist became inoperative. Has happened several times with varying degrees of severity. Unit will automatically reset when car is turned off and door opened and closed. Lincoln's position: No fault code, no problem.

- Orland Park, IL, USA