7.8

2. replace transmission (1 reports)
2019 Lincoln Nautilus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2019 Lincoln Nautilus:

2019 Lincoln Nautilus Owner Comments

Aug 282019

Nautilus Select 2.7L V6

Loved my 2016 MKX. Replaced it with the 2019 Nautilus when my lease ended. Within first 300 miles of driving it, the engine lurched forward when putting it into gear. It happened more than once a day. Dangerous in a parking lot, on a street when parallel parked, and cannot park it in my garage for fear it will lurch into my house. Contacted Lincoln dealer in Stamford CT on 9/6/19 when we returned from our road trip. They provided a loaner while they examined our car for problems. The following week the dealer's service dept confirmed they were able to replicate the problem - and the service could relate bc his wife's Nautilus does the same thing! We were told this is a new problem (?) and they are investigating the fix with corporate. That later became corporate has had reports of this with the 2.7L engine, but does not have a fix. "Corporate says it should be ok to drive." That's ridiculous! It "should" be ok to drive, but it definitely is not! More than a month later, no fix, and no car. The loaner is a 2.0L with a Black/Black color combination I said was a deal-breaker when I ordered my car. Way too hot to drive in the summer. But, I guess that won't be as big a concern as I'm still in the loaner in the Autumn. Today our Stamford Lincoln contact told us he thought another guy was going to get back to us. They've run out of excuses, so I guess they just play tag to delay?

- Lauren W., Rye Brook, NY, US

Jul 302019

Nautilus Select Turbo V6 2.7L

This is one of three problems I have had with thec2019 Nautilus since purchasing. I have NEVER had this much trouble with a vehicle in my life. Purchased in early March. Considering checking out lemon laws in OK. The change from reverse to drive intermittently creates a large clunk and passengers in my car (embarrassing since this is a new car!) thought I had hit so,etching the jolt was so violent. Definitely a major issue with transmission or electronics dictating the transmissions behavior.

- Karen L., Bartlesville, OK, US

Jul 012019

Nautilus 2.7L Twin Turbo V6

Purchased this vehicle at FairOaks Ford Lincoln, Naperville, Illinois. Soon after purchasing the vehicle, noticed harsh shifting when slowing down in traffic. Especially noticeable if the fuel economy feature is enabled. While enabled, the transmission does not run smoothly when you begin to accelerate. So annoyed by the feature, I make it a point to disable it. -Seems to help a tiny bit.

Another related problem, if the car is in park, then put in to drive, the shift to drive is so harsh it feels like the transmission will drop out of the vehicle. At one point while in a parking lot, I thought the car was going to lunge forward just by putting it in drive. I'm concerned about the safety of this vehicle. I took it in for service at FairOaks August 22 and they were not able to fix the issue.

Contacted Lincoln Concierge August 22 and again today September 9, their claim is that there is not a fix and 'they' are currently working on it. I don't believe Lincoln's claim since it appears this transmission (8F57) issue has been around since March 2019 (as far as I can tell). I regret purchasing this Lincoln, I should of stuck with Acura. How can Lincoln claim to be a luxury car with a clunky transmission?

- Diana J., Bolingbrook, IL, US

Aug 072019

Nautilus Reserve V6

I bought a new 2019 Lincoln Nautilus & noticed after a couple of days that shifting was extremely rough, jarring the car. Then 2 days before I had it a month there was the symbol of a wrench show on the message center. I called the dealer and the salesman told me not to drive the car & to have it towed this was on 8/7/2019. It was towed to a Ford dealer because it was closer than the dealer where I bought it. They said they thought the problem was the transmission, but weren’t sure. I then had the selling dealer come pick it up. It has been in Tulsa with the selling dealer since 8/9/19. I have called several times and was basically given the run around. They told me they had only one person who could work on the transmission and he was busy with another car. They also thought it was the transmission but weren’t sure. They finally called on 8/19/19 & told me they had been conferring with Lincoln about the problem because they were getting so many “fault codes” from different places within the transmission. Then the guy said that Lincoln had finally decided it would be cheaper for them to replace the entire transmission and that software updates would not fix the problem. I was then informed, again, that they had only one person to fix transmissions & he was still busy with the same car he had been working on when they got the car on 8/9/19. Then he told me it would be at least until Sept. 1 before it would be ready. Lincoln knew about this problem from what I’ve been reading about this car. They should not be selling this model with that transmission. This was a very expensive car & I feel like I was royally ripped off. I have driven Lincoln’s for years and traded in a perfectly good 2017 MKX with less than 11,000 miles. I wish I had it back. Lincoln should be ashamed for selling an auto with known defects in this new transmission. I believe my love affair with Lincoln products is over. Hello Lexus.

Update from Sep 3, 2019: After reading other complaints on this site, I contacted the Lincoln Roadside Assistance (Concierge) regarding the long time I have been without my car. I was told my complaint would be upgraded, or some other term, and that I would be contacted by a customer service manager. I was. I stated I would be using our state's "Lemon Law" if the repair took over 30 business days. She promised to call on August 27, 2019 with an update. She called. She said the car did not qualify as a "Lemon" at this time (which I knew, because I have to be without it for 30 working days. The service manager person told me that day that they had received the new transmission for my car and would start working on it the 28th. The person in the dealer's service department had told me that it wouldn't be ready before September 1. Again, they have only one transmission person and he was still working on the Nautilus he was working on when they got the car on August 9, 2019. I still have no idea when I'll ever get my car. I bought the one that is called the top of the line, with every available option. It's been so long I barely remember having it. I doubt I'll pay cash for a car again. Also, I'm thankful to have a loaner to drive, but, of course, the loaner does not have the options my car has and without the air conditioned seats in this Oklahoma heat, it's stressful and I have to cary a towel to place on the seat so I don't burn my legs. I don't believe I have ever been this disiappointed in a vehicle. As of 9-3-19 nothing has been resolved.

- appraisalsplus, Shawnee, US

Jun 222019

Nautilus Reserve 2.7L V6

click to see larger images

harsh shifting harsh shifting harsh shifting

Brand New 2019 Lincoln Nautilus Reserve purchased at Pugmire Lincoln in Marietta, GA.

When I put the car in DRIVE (press the D button on the dash), there is a loud SLAM in the engine area, and the whole car jolts/shakes. It happens at least once a day under normal conditions. It does not happen with other gears.

This is the second MAJOR issue I have had with this 2019 Lincoln Nautilus, and it is 2-weeks old with under 250 miles.

Update from Jul 12, 2019: Pugmire Lincoln Service folks called today to tell me that the software upgrade to the transmission did not work and that they next step is to drop the transmission pan to look for "residue" (which we all know is metal flake from crap parts and piss poor quality control). They are saying that the whole transmission - electronics and mechanical - will likely need replacement. The Pugmire Service folks did state that Lincoln engineers are aware of this as a wide spread issue with other 2019 Nautilus.

So, this will not be the last time you hear of this issue.

Update from Jul 22, 2019: The transmission needs a complete replacement.....However there are no replacement transmissions available at this time, and Lincoln Motor Company is refusing to replace the vehicle with a new one. So, the Nautilus is sitting on a car lift at Pugmire with the front end taken off is very sad shape...with no estimated date of repair.

Update from Aug 22, 2019: Ford outsources the "Lincoln Concierge Service" to the company, Percepta. LCS/Percepta is the company you contact when you want to complain, or ask Ford to declare your vehicle a Lemon. Which I did. After fighting with LCS/Percepta for a few weeks, my brand new 2019 Nautilus was declared a Lemon @ 522 miles under Georgia Lemon Law. As noted before...there are NO replacement transmissions available for this car, so my car is still un-repaired after 45 days. If you need a new transmission for a Nautilus at this time, tough luck.

After the Nautilus was declared a Lemon, I was then sent to a group call the "Reacquisition" team. Their job is to Replace my Nautilus with a brand new one or Repurchase my Nautilus so Ford then owns it again. I am currently negotiating a settlement with this team. If we cannot reach an equitable solution for replacement, I will be asking for a Repurchase and taking my money back to Mercedes...where it was before I bought the Lincoln. This is a painful process and frankly I cannot believe I am considering a replacement Nautilus with the same transmission.

- Rob H., Marietta, Georgia, USA

Jun 042019

Nautilus Select 2.76

We just got a new transmission in car after they experienced it jerking into drive. Now the new transmission shifts hard in low gear. I expect better than this from a luxury vehicle.

- cewbiker, Salado, US

Mar 012019

Nautilus Reserve V6

The issue appears to occur in lower gears in lower speeds. Jerks when shifting from, I think, 2nd to 3rd gear. I just notified the salesperson at my dealership and also left a message for the Lincoln Service Mgr.

After reading the other two posts on this same issue, I figured it isn't just my vehicle! I've NEVER spent this much on a vehicle and am surprised to see this happening. I'm hoping reprogramming the PCM as the other owner discussed but it doesn't sound like that is the answer. I now have 2000 miles on the Nautilus. I did notice the issue within the first few weeks but thought it was my imagination. I am not leasing, I BOUGHT. So......hoping there is a fix!

Update from May 8, 2019: I took the Nautilus to my dealer with the TSB. They gave me a new Explorer for the day. 2 hours later it was ready. Software reset and problem is gone. It's only been 36 hrs. I'll update in a few weeks in case the fix doesn't last.

Update from Jun 6, 2019: It's been weeks since the software was reset. Problem is gone.

- Lisa D., Rio Vista, US

Mar 112019

Nautilus Reserve 2.7L V6

VERY JERKY SHIFTING AT TIMES WHEN SHIFTING LOWER 3 OR 4 GEARS. ONE MAINTENIANCE VISIT AT 1200 MI. NO SOLUTION YET. NOW AT 1400 MI.

- Donald S., Akron, OH, US

Mar 042019

Nautilus Reserve 2.7L

My complaint relates to problems with the 8F57 transmission, a new transmission in the 2019 Lincoln Nautilus and at least one model of the 2019 Ford Edge, and the related Lincoln/Ford Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 19-2103:

I took delivery of this Nautilus on March 4, 2019 and immediately started noticing harsh shifts, particularly at low speeds in slow moving traffic. It seems to be in the first three gears, both when downshifting when slowing down and when upshifting when accelerating slowly. It varies all the way from harsh, bumpy shifts to outright clunks and lurches. It also clunks into drive and reverse after starting up.

I immediately took it back to the dealer who advised that several other Nautiluses they had sold had reported similar problems, including the owner of the dealership who owns a Nautilus. They reprogrammed the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software they received from Lincoln, and this partially helped, but after a few days the problem recurred. The Service Department manager told me that they had done the same software update on other cars with the problem, with the same unsatisfactory result. He said he was sure Lincoln must be aware of the issue, assured me it was software related, not mechanical, and that Lincoln was no doubt working on a software fix. In the meantime there was nothing I could do about it.

I spoke to the Lincoln Concierge people who suggested I get a second opinion from another Lincoln dealer, which I did with the same result, although the car wouldn't let the technician there reprogram the PCM, since the PCM was reporting it already had the latest software. The second dealer was also aware of the problem and had several customers reporting it.

On April 5, just over a month after taking delivery of the car, and with just under 1000 miles on it, I received a call from the first dealer, advising that Lincoln had just issued Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 19-2103, which seemed to exactly describe the problems I had been having with the transmission:

"Issue: Some 2019 Edge/Nautilus vehicles equipped with a 8F57 transmission and built on or before 01-Mar-2019 may exhibit harsh/bumpy upshift, downshift and/or engagement concerns. This may be due to various powertrain control module (PCM) software parameters for upshift flares, stationary and rolling engagements, and coasting downshift bumps. To resolve the condition, reprogram the PCM."

Unfortunately, when the dealer tried to reprogram the PCM, the car's computer reported once again that it already had the latest software -- so I was back to square 1, with the service manager again telling me that Lincoln surely must be aware of the problem and surely must be working on a solution. He promised to get back to me if and when he hears something further from Lincoln.

I was amazed that Lincoln can deliver $60,000+ vehicles with a known problem as bad as this and not be able to fix it, so I called the Lincoln Concierge people again on April 16, 2019 and asked that they take me out of the lease or exchange my car for one which doesn't have the problems - note the language in the TSB that says that only "some" Nautiluses built on or before March 1, 2019 have the problem. By then I had become accustomed to the total lack of responsiveness and customer care from the Lincoln, so I was not surprised that, although they agreed to do a "Good Faith Review" as to the possibility of replacing the car, they denied the request about a week later.

The concierge suggested that I contact the service department of a third dealer, even a Ford dealer, to see if they have a solution to the problem that the two Lincoln dealers haven't come up with. I have an appointment in a few days with a Ford dealer which is also familiar with the problem, but have already been advised by the service people that the only thing they will be able to do is attempt to reprogram the PCM. So this is the classic definition of madness - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result!

I have only good things to say about the service people from all three dealers as well as the Concierge people with whom I have spoken. It is with Lincoln/Ford that I have a problem -- this transmission is clearly defective from a mechanical and/or software standpoint and Lincoln's lack of responsiveness both to its customers - and to its dealers - is simply unacceptable.

I have been told by the service departments of the two Lincoln dealers as well as by the Lincoln Concierge people that there is no one I can speak with at Lincoln about this, that Lincoln's policy is for these issues to be dealt with between its dealers and customers, and the dealers will communicate with Lincoln in behalf of the customers. That would be fine if Lincoln would at least acknowledge - to its dealers, if not to its customers - that the software fix they have been recommending for the past month is NOT working, that they are working on a patch that will really work, and give some kind of time frame as to when this might happen. Instead, all anyone, including their dealers, hears is the sound of crickets coming from a huge black hole in Dearborn. This is the first Lincoln I have had and will no doubt be the last.

I would appreciate any helpful feedback from anyone at Carcomplaints.com or other users who might read this posting, especially anyone who has experienced similar problems with the 8F57 transmission.

Thank you.

Update from Jul 20, 2019: After almost 5 months since I took delivery of the car, Lincoln has been unable to fix the problem, stating that it is entirely software-related and that their technicians are "working on it". When the software is fixed, they will let me know, but they don't know when that will be.

- Michael H., Sarasota, US