2016 Mazda CX-5 lights problems: daytime running led light failure

Daytime Running Led Light Failure

2016 Mazda CX-5 (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Mazda dealer.

7.7

$1,110

1. replace headlamp (12 reports)
  3. replace headlight assembly (10 reports)
2016 Mazda CX-5 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Mazda CX-5:

2016 Mazda CX-5 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 012019

CX-5 GT 2,3

Unacceptable engineering design. 3 years and LED out!

- David G., Leland, NC, US

Aug 012019

CX-5 Grand Touring

Wow everything else about this car has been good for us, but this light failure is pretty crazy. And it sucks because it sounds like it's going to cost me a lot. I don't NEED it since we don't have inspections my state, so it will be hard to justify the expense, but it will really bother me knowing it looks stupid. Potentially it's been like this for a few thousand miles.

Mazda needs to figure this one out.

- Peat F., Saint Paul, MN, US

Aug 152019

CX-5 Grand Touring 2.5L

The Daylight Running Light on passenger side is flickering non-stop in just 39K miles (out of warranty). Learned about this yesterday while driving on a major business route and at the traffic light stop, the adjacent car driver pointed out (nice guy, thank you). Came home and upon looking, couldn't believe how other drivers might be annoyed when looking thru their rear view mirror. This is really a defect on Mazda's end and they should fix it at no cost because I only drove 39K miles.

Update from Aug 20, 2019: The Daylight Running Light on passenger side is flickering non-stop in just 39K miles (out of warranty). Learned about this yesterday while driving on a major business route and at the traffic light, adjacent car driver pointed out (nice guy, thank you). Came home and upon looking at it, I couldn't believe how other drivers might have been annoyed when looking thru their rear view mirror. It is absolutely a safety hazard and Mazda should fix this issue ASAP no cost to car owners. Searching online, hundreds if not thousands of drivers have reported this issue.

- Sanjay D., East Brunswick, US

Jul 012018

CX-5 GT

My LED daytime running lights on the passenger side went out. The dealer wants $1800 to fix. I haven't fixed it yet, but this caused it not to pass inspection. This was already out last year, but that time it was not caught on inspection.

I may just get it inspected elsewhere. This bothers me because it is a safety issue, although not all cars have this feature.

Also, I bought an extra cost technology package that came with these fancy LED headlights. I don't understand why the bulbs cannot be replaced. Replacing the whole assembly for $1800 seems ridiculous.

- gsquared, Needham, US

Aug 122019

CX-5 Grand Touring 2.5L

This is the second time I've had to deal with this problem. First was the Passenger side at 50k miles. Now at 55k miles I'm having to replace the Driver side. It's completely unacceptable that Mazda refuses to correct this with a recall. This is a safety concern and is a widespread problem. An owner should not have to pay $3,000+ to fix issues with a headlight.

- Matthew W., Fort Thomas, KY, US

Apr 092019

CX-5 GT

Cannot believe there is are this many people having the same issue and Mazda will not address it. Just over three years and 30k miles and I was made aware of the issue. Who knows how long I've been driving with the driver side DRL out.

- Rick B., Columbus, OH, US

May 012019

CX-5

Very disappointed with Mazda on this one. I just can’t believe how bad the component design is on the headlight assembly. To require complete replacement of the unit at such a high cost to the consumer is ridiculous. I just can’t swallow the cost to replace but not only is it a safety issue and I can be pulled over for it in my state, Its embarrassing to have people flagging me down to tell me my lights out. I’m sure I will have to do something by the end of the year when inspection is due, but hopefully by then, there will be an aftermarket available to purchase.

- Valerie F., Spencer, US

Jan 012019

CX-5

Within 3 years of owning this new car the running lights stopped working on the passenger side. Mazda said the entire head light assembly needs to be replaced costing $1,800. That is ridiculous! An LED light should last longer than 3 years or be able to be replaced. Mazda knows about this issue and should be offering a recall!

- bates-atlanta, Atlanta, US

Jul 062019

CX-5 Grand Touring

Noticed that the driver's side daytime running lamps have been much dimmer than the passenger side. Upon further inspection the light either is completely off, or the entire assembly is flickering. Very noticeable when comparing to the passenger side DRL. No other lights seem to be impacted.

- Erik H., Portland, OR, US

Jun 102019

CX-5 Grand Touring Dohc In-Line 4-cyl

I just purchased this 2016 CX-5 used from a friend last summer. I thought I got a great deal. After less than a year the passenger side daytime runner light goes out. No problem I will just run it to Mazda and have them throw in a new on after all it is just a headlamp. Wrong it is a $835 part! I don’t think in my 54 years of life I have ever in all my cars spent half of that for lights. This was my first and last Mazda. The idiot who designed this POS system should be fired. Unfortunately I just put on new tires and will keep this until the next big problem arises. I haven’t checked maybe it is a two thousand dollar air filter?

- Mike M., Gretna, NE, US

Jun 012019

CX-5 Grand Touring FWD 2.5L Dohc 4-cyl

Driver's side daytime LED running light is out and is a very costly fix.

- Kathy S., Louisville, US

May 022019

CX-5 Grand Touring 2.5L

I'm now part of the CX-5 faulty LED DRL club...I didn't ask to join, but here I am. I purchased my CX-5 used in late April 2018 with 23k miles. The car was/is in pristine condition, and I'm a low mileage driver. Just before I rolled over 30k, I noticed that my driver side daytime running lights were out. I'm not sure how long it had been out, but I noticed because of my car's reflection as I pulled into a parking spot adjacent from a glass window.

I was under the impression that LED's were a great choice because of their extended life span. This is an upgrade after all. I took it into my local Mazda mechanic who confirmed that the entire assembly had to be replaced and that only a dealership could do the work at this time. So I took it to the dealership, where I was told ~20% of CX-5's have this issue yet there is not recall and that I'm "unlucky." "Mazda hopes that the problem arises within the 3 year warranty period." What? Ok, still...my car is under 30k miles. $1500 (at my dealership) is completely unacceptable for a car this young. I was told by another dealership that LED "strips" don't actually last that long...so then what is the point if you have to replace your entire headlamp??? Call 5 different Mazda dealerships, and you'll get 5 different versions of total BS.

I read online that the dealership can change the programming so that the DRLs are off by default so I requested this becase I'm not planning to get this fixed anytime soon and it looks totally dorky to have one side out. I was told, "No, we can't do this, but luckily you're not in any viloations and won't get a ticket." Oh boy! Great news!

First Mazda, last Mazda. Looking forward to when the passenger side goes out...probably tomorrow.

- Kristin B., Boulder, CO, US

May 182019

CX-5 Grand Touring 2.5L

An LED Daytime Running Light should not burn out in 3 years. An aftermarket OEM headlight assembly is $600. I can replace it myself so I am not paying a dealer double to replace it. This is very common on these vehicles so there is a defect in the assembly however Mazda refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem since they do not want to incur the cost of recall.

- Elliot M., Downingtown, PA, US

Jun 152019

CX-5 GT 2.5L

Noticed DRL flicker on passenger side. I have not visited the dealer yet, but, on-line discussion indicate the issue is a reported issue.

- darwinh, BRIDGMAN, US

May 032019

CX-5 Gran Touring

My led front right running lights stopped working. I'm not sure exactly when but someone brought it to my attention at 39,000 miles. Definitely a faulty part or design. Mazda should replace!

- Bob H., Thousand Oaks, US

Apr 182019

CX-5 Grand Touring 2.5L

I purchased this Mazda CX5 Touring edition as a "Certified used vehicle" seven months ago and now the drivers led lights are out and the headlight is flickering also. I took it to a Mazda dealer and was told it would cost $1,200 to fix it. After I picked myself off the floor, I asked if this was covered since I just purchased it 7 months ago. I was then told NO it's not covered. In my efforts to get to the bottom of this, I declined the repair and was then charged $60 for a "diagnostic" test on the vehicle. Diagnostic test...A 5 year old could have told them the light was out. I digress, this is unacceptable when a headlight cost $1,200 to fix? and Mazda knew about the issue and has done NOTHING to address it... Hello it's time for a RECALL. I love the vehicle but, this is my last.

- Manny C., Westford, MA, US

Dec 152018

CX-5 Grand Touring 2.5L

Disappointed as I had the car in for a regular inspection & oil change in Dec. and it was intermittent problem with the LED daylight running light ring. Dealer couldn't get it to flicker then. Now it flickers constantly and is dimmer, next I'm advised it will go out entirely. I get comments from friends and family when they notice also.

Mazda CX5 just rolled over 19000 Called dealer up as its due for an oil change, he said oh that's bad but probably not a warranty and they could look into it down the road on 30 mile check. Assembly likely to charge $1000 + .

This will really sour me on the brand if they don't pony up to this as a safety issue as its not a DIY $20 or even $50 easy fix. looks like bumper wrap etc have to be removed and entire assembly :-(

I suggest we all contact Mazda and ask for their help and some love since its a safety design fault. Daylight running light were designed for safety that's what we paid for & LED is supposed to the best.

- debes, Loveland, US

Oct 152018

CX-5 Grand Touring 2.5L

There is no reasonable explanation for such a huge design screw up!

This has to be intentional.

More and more cars are being designed to make owners dependent on dealer repairs.

- mr.riccu2, Philadelphia, US

Mar 252019

CX-5 Grand Touring 2.5L

Just as the 3-year / 36,000 mile warranty expires, the passenger side LED daytime running light goes out. I took it in to the dealer to see how much it would cost to fix it and got a quote of $800 for the part + labor. Ridiculous. looking on here it seems that this problem is so common that Mazda should issue a recall or at least cover the costs for those of us experiencing the problem.

- Michael T., Wichita Falls, TX, US

Mar 282019

CX-5 GT, AWD 4 DR 2.5L

Fairly new 2016 CX-5 gt 17,000km when bought off Mazda dealership. After 4 months the driver LED stopped working. Dealership initially quoted $1000 to replace led strip. Just past the warrant so they fixed out of good faith. Dealership said this never happens and usually last up to 10 years. NOW the passenger led stopped working. I agree they should recall this issue very frustrating.

Update from Apr 21, 2019: Notified Mazda Canada. Inspection done by Mazda dealership. Report sent to Mazda Canada. Waiting on response for replacement.

- brittany.d, Oakville, ON, Canada