2010 Mazda CX-9 cooling system problems: water pump failure led to engine failure

Water Pump Failure Led To Engine Failure

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The only area of real concern for 2010 Mazda CX-9 owners is the brake booster.

In 2014, Mazda extended the warranty on the 2007-2013 CX-9 brake booster to 7 years / 90,000 miles. However this extended warranty has expired, so buyer beware.

This Mazda CX-9 brake booster failure isn't terrible in terms of repair cost — it "only" costs $550 average to fix. However it is a safety issue when the brake booster fails as it increases stopping distance. Owners have reported having to stomp on the brake pedal, & crashes/injuries have been reported due to this CX-9 brake booster defect.

$4,000

2. replace water pump and engine (1 reports)
2010 Mazda CX-9 cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mazda CX-9:

2010 Mazda CX-9 Owner Comments

Apr 112018

CX-9 Touring 6 cyl. 3.7L

First of all, I loved this car. It was mint, and a joy to drive. We had it serviced regularly and took excellent care of it. One day I was about to get on 93 South to Boston, just before rush hour. Luckily, before I got on the highway, out of nowhere, a loud knocking sound started in the engine. I immediately pulled over and the car stalled. I was able to start it again, but it continued to have a loud knocking sound, which I obviously knew was really bad. I had it towed to our Mazda dealership. At first, they said they wouldn't be able to even look at it for 6 days! A friend worked in sales there, and he got the mechanics to look at it the next morning. The mechanics knew right away that it was a failed water pump and it would cost $3300 to fix it. A lot for a water pump, but not the worst part of the story. They then told us that because of the weird place the water pump is located in the engine, the engine was most likely gone too. This would cost us another $8000 to replace. Though they couldn't be sure that the engine was gone, they said they've seen this problem many times over the years, and of all the cars they've replaced the water pumps in only ONE did not need a new engine. We called corporate, as our extended warranty had just ended 8 months before and we took very good care of this car. All they would do is offer is $2k for a down payment on a new lease and "special financing". I looked into it, and a junk car website would give us $2k for our car and ANYONE could have gotten that "special financing" just by walking in to the dealership. Once we figured this out, we told them we were sick of going back and forth in this "dog and pony show" (they had us calling our dealership to get offers, then calling them back to tell them what the offers were, and it was going on 3 weeks of this!), the gentleman told us he was extremely offended and would no longer deal with us at all! We were so beaten down by this, as we both are hard-working middle class parents with 3 children, and are careful with our money. We did everything right, and we are getting completely screwed over by this, as we still owe $3400 for this car AND we have to buy a new one!

- Ann O., Chelmsford, US

Mar 022017

CX-9 Sport

Really poor engine design. If the water pump leaks it can cause $ 4000 of dollars in repair cost. Worst design ever. Loved the car however this really bad experience leaves me guessing about Mazda as a company . Imagine having to pay for an engine after a water pump fails. I drove the SUV approximately 1/4 mile before parking it. It ran ok. Never shutting off however lead technician says he cannot solve problem without replacing the engine. Tragic

- Mike W., Sunrise, US