8.3

$2,460

2. replace steering rack (9 reports)
  3. replace the alternator (1 reports)
2014 Ram 1500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ram 1500:

2014 Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 012022

1500 Big Horn Set Crew 5.7L V8

We have the same issue. Steering went out while driving, warning light came up in dash cluster. Turned off vehicle, restarted and the warning went away and steering was back. Started home only to have the steering go out again. I was able to get it home. After a week, husband took it for a drive and all was fine. Drive it for over a month with no problem. Then it went out again. Talked with Bachman Auto Group of Jeffersonville, IN. It's not under warranty, and the part is unavailable. They will check in two weeks to see if they can get it. And if they do get the part they can't service it until October, so almost two months wait. They did offer to sell us a new vehicle and take this in on trade.

- Rhonda B., Jeffersonville, US

Aug 032022

1500 ST 5.7L

ELECTRONIC POWER STEERING FAILURE on 2014 Ram 1500 Black Express 4x4.

My wife was driving down the interstate when the power steering went out while changing lanes. Luckily it was 8PM and not rush hour or she could have caused a ten car pile up from trying to gain control. She got herself together, started the truck and it worked again for a few miles before failing again but this time it stayed. This should be a recall immediately!

- Jeff S., Jupiter, US

Jun 212019

1500 Sport 5.7L V8

Truck purchased new, driven by a 75 year old woman, never off roaded and garage kept. Now, at 64K miles the steering rack dies. The dealer just called to say it will cost $2508.70 to fix. Obviously there is a defect that could have killed my wife. She has told me she is afraid they will replace it with the same defective parts and it will happen again while she's driving. In NH a 2016 Ram pickup just collided with and killed seven motorcyclists. Was that really an accident? FCA needs to deal with this or I see a massive class action suit in their near future.

- Joseph K., Fort Myers, US

Feb 252019

1500 Big Horn 5.7L V8

On 2/25/2019 my truck lost steering while driving. Luckily I was able to avoid a head on collision, but it was very close. The solution was to replace the alternator.

Nov 152019

1500 Big Horn 5.7L V8

I have a 2014 Ram with around 48k miles. On Friday 11/15/2019 I went to leave my house and once again while I was driving the truck it lost steering and this time power dropped. I again had it towed into the service dealer on 11/25/2019. Today 11/22/2019 they stated that again they could not duplicate the issue. They did find error codes about voltage but however stated that the computer “fixed itself” and cannot fix the steering issues.

With all this I love my truck, however with the with the safety of myself, my family, and others on the road in mind, driving this truck while the steering can possibly go out at any time is not a good idea by any means. I really would like to drive a safe reliable truck. I went through some issues with GMC about their Sierra line and decided to go with Ram instead. Starting to think Toyota might have been a better choice.

Hopefully I can get this fixed and back to being able to get to work and life outside my house.

May 072019

1500 Big Horn 5.7L V8

More issues with power steering. The truck would pull to the left like there was a flat tire. Dealership could not duplicate so they would not fix the issue.

Nov 192021

1500

they said control module was bad but need to replace whole thing. Not covered under warranty, Will not work when temp get below 20 degrees part on backorder I need it in winter not just summer weather

- dude1959, Reedsburg, US

Jul 312021

click to see larger images

power steering failure

Similar to the other 6 pages of complaints. Unexplained power steering failure.

- Todd S., Crossville, US

Aug 282020

1500 5.7L

2014 Ram has had more recalls than oil changes. Steering went out after only 21,400 miles. After checking for a place to check the power steering fluid found out it had electronic power steering. Had to have it towed to dealership to find out rack and pinion needs to be replaced for over $2,600. While there found out there were two more recalls on the Dodge that needed to be taken care of. Chrysler needs to step up and include 2014 in their recall list.

- Robert W., Waco, US

Aug 312020

1500

Our 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 has experienced the same power steering failure reported in the recall of the 2015 and 2016 models. It began as an intermittent and quickly became undriveable due to very dangerous conditions without steering ability.

Our Dodge dealer informed us it would cost $2,450 to replace the entire steering rack as the only means to fix the problem. It is obviously out of warranty, but as a 6 year old truck with under 100,000 miles should not require such a costly repair.

We submitted a BBB complaint to the Fiat Chrysler, who has just reiterated that it is not under warranty and the part in our 2014 is not covered under the recalls of the 2015 and 2016.

I am curious what happened with the other 2014's that were reported here with a similar issue.

- njramownerjoek, Montclair, US

Sep 012020

1500 Big Horn 5.7L

When driving the vehicle an indicator light that says "check power steering" comes on and the power steering fails. When the power steering goes out this could be serious safety issue. It is apparently caused by a defective electric circuit board located in the rack and pinion steering portion. This is a known issue. from what I understand , Dodge has recalled the 2015 models for this same issue. It does not make sense to me that they do not recall this on the earlier models. If the power steering goes out unexpectedly while making a or when you need to make a turn it could easily cause a crash. I would not be surprised if it has not already caused accidents.

The second thing is the cost. To replace the whole rack and pinion assembly is about $2500.00 at the dealer. I believe it could be made more serviceable to keep the costs down by designing it where the components could be replaced without having to replace the whole rack and pinion.

- Larry H., Terry, MS, US

Jun 122021

1500 REG CAB Hemi

This is beyond revolting. We bought this truck, new, and babied the hell out of it since 2014. It has barely over 34K miles on it!!! And, yes, the number of recalls on this truck is disturbing... and, Greenway Dodge royally screwed up one of the recalls, concerning the gate that wouldn't shut.

So, consider this, since 2014:

A new 4dr Jeep Chieftain was leased A new Jeep Grand Cherokee was just leased two weekends ago All repairs, oil changes, recalls on the truck done at Greenway

...and, they STILL refuse to acknowledge that the power steering (rack & pinion) NEVER should've gone out on a truck with 34K miles on it.

I'm currently in the process of finding out who the top executive is at Greenway Dodge. They need to step up and fix this for the miles on the truck, alone.....nevermind the amount of business we've given them over the past 6yrs. So, far they haven't even TRIED to at least meet us somewhere in the middle on this issue. Still waiting on a reply from the dealership, and how they intent to treat us on this issue as of this post....

Update from Jun 15, 2021: I mentioned the number of recalls on this truck. However, I wasn't aware of just how many people are having the same issue, not just with the RAM trucks but other Dodge models. But, I've found several on the Ram 1500 here, doing the exact same thing... power steering goes out, making the truck nearly impossible to steer, with the power steering light coming on. So, it's a known issue... BEYOND unacceptable.

- John L., Orlando, FL, US

Nov 022020

1500 Big Horn 5.7L

I have never even had my truck off road and bought it new. The EPS is getting very hard to turn. Taking it to a dealer this week to determine the cause. I see some big costs to repair in other complaints. I take very good care of this truck and am wondering if I should ever buy another Ram, this is my third one. I like it for the most part but this is unacceptable. the steering should last longer than this!! They have so many complaints on this issue that they need a recall or cover the repair costs, very bad for Ram not to address this issue and will most likely loose business over this.

- Rick P., Ellwood City, US

Mar 222019

1500 Tradesman 5.7L V8

A truck that is only 4 1/2 years old, excellently maintained, should NOT have a complete steering failure. There must be something systemic with this model based on the number of failures I am reading about.

- Bill R., Highland, UT, US

Jan 302019

1500 Outdoorsman 3.6L

Failure caused by electronic power steering rack caused vehicle to go into the ditch. Vehicle sustained damage and is at a body repair shop

- John J., Circle Pines, US

Jan 282019

1500 LX 5.7L

I went to work at 4am on a snowy day.. made a 90 degree turn to the right and all the sudden the steering wheel jerked back to the left....wow! I thought it was ice...drove ahead on the autobahn in Germany and did not think anything of it. I then made it to work and drove around the circle and turned again to the right and the steering wheel again jerked in the opposite direction...crazy...I held if strong and it finally released and I made the turn.

I went maybe 500 yards to our company parking lot...it was empty so I turned left and right while applying gas...nothing...

I then put the truck i reverse and backed into my parking space, no problems yet, Didi I imagine it? I turned the wheel while in park to the left all the way, and it immediately jerked back right....it let up and I turned all the way right and it immediately jerked back left...hmmmm....something odd...

I took it to Chrysler Jepp in Germany...they said hmm..maybe EPS system and we replace it for 3000 euros (4000 US dollars)...

I asked for the code =DTC C2129-17 Battery Voltage -= Circuit Voltage above threshold....? Voltage from where? how=? what is happening? NOBODY knows....but give us 3k? My understanding of EPS is ...if the voltage is higher or lower this is the first thing affected because it travels back through the electronic system. (RAM) please tell me I'm wrong after so many RAM mechanics said I'm right and the next thing to check is the PCM? (changed the battery by the way by 3 other shops (BMW, Mercedes, Jeep/Chrysler) and no issue there)

The question is...what the f*ck is going on and what happens when It locks up on the autobahn and kills 100 people?

IS RAM or FIAT/CHRYSLER - NOT GOING TO ADDRESS THIS ISSUE TILL SOMEONE DIES????

this car is now at a RAM place for further inspection....unreal and unsatisfactory...I dont have 4k to fix THEIR faulty part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- jbrummund, Würzburg, Germany

Aug 252018

1500 SLT 5.7L 8v

click to see larger images

power steering failure

Power steering failure- while turning, while going in reverse, and while driving. It started happening while reversing and making turns, but as I was driving in the highway steering wheel became very hard as I was switching lanes and jolted. Shortly after, I stopped at a stop sign and as I was going to turn the steering wheel became stiff/hard, and I couldn't move the vehicle at all. A red light came on with a red exclamation point and the steering wheel sign and a message that said Service Power Steering. Now my steering wheel is hard to turn at a surprise I have an appt. At the dealership, next week to see what is happening. I will update but this problem is a big safety issue that needs to be dealt with. No surprise that the 2015 model has a recall for a power steering wheel failure, how come this one does not have the same recall with many have had that problem?

Update from Aug 29, 2022: So, the problems was the power steering problem and I had to get it replace with a new one. That was the only solutions provided by the dealership. It was a costly job and I am very dissapointed that Ram as yet to do a recall for this year. Be aware if you purchase this vehicle/year/model you might be disappointed to see your power steering give out. Oh and no warranty available to help cover cost. 4k+ to fix

- versa, Clute, US

Jun 302018

1500 5.7L

First Dodge I have every owned and now most likely my last.. $2500.00 after 125k miles. Where is the dependability in that? Don't feel real safe letting my kid drive a truck that might lose power steering going down the road. Trying to decide weather to trade vehicle tomorrow or repair and replace it.

- Frank P., Sioux City, US

May 182018

1500 Laramie 5.7L V8

The EPS cut out when I was driving on the highway, and rushed to the field beside the highway, luckily not big crash.

I parked there for about 10 minutes, and then restarted the engine, the EPS worked again, drove for about 20 minutes, the EPS cut off again, parked then drove, the issue happens intermittently.

Took the truck to the dealer and they said we have to replace the whole power steering rack and it is not covered by warranty.

Any one could provide some idea, the dealer will charge more than $3,500 Canadian dollars, that's too much.

- J W., Richmond Hill, ON, Canada

Dec 062017

1500 Laramie 5.7L V8

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 in which I have intermittent power steering loss. It started the day it got cold and seems to be when it is cold. When the truck starts the steering wheel symbol is on and there is no power steering, after a while and turning on and off the truck the power steering starts working and the steering wheel symbol on the dash turns off.

I am taking it to the dealer today.

- Hugo M., Prairieville, LA, US