8.0

$1,640

2. replace engine (8 reports)
  3. short block replaced per subaru of america (4 reports)
  4. add oil (1 reports)
  5. sell the car (1 reports)
2011 Subaru Forester engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Subaru Forester:

2011 Subaru Forester Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 052014

Forester Premium 2.5L

2011 forester .Went thru 3/4 -1 qt. every 1k. miles. since new. Dealer no help . contacted subaru .no help to resolve issue. Did consumption test for 25 k miles.{ every 1k back to the dealer to check } No resolution . Traded car in to subaru for 2013 outback at a loss. . So far no issues with outback at 15 k miles. I am very upset after hearing about the tsb regarding the piston ring replacement that was causing the consumption issue. So I guess I was right the car was a lemon and subaru finally admitted it.I do not trust subaru and am contemplating on dumping the outback and going back to toyota.The same problem is happening on 13 outbacks and I do not want to deal with the same ass ache again. Investigating the class action lawsuit to recoup my trade-in loss...

- porcupine, Strongsville, OH, US

Jun 042013

Forester Limited V6

This is the third but last Subaru we will purchase. It's a 2011 Forester which I baby and provide oil changes every 3,500 miles in order to keep up with the very expensive oil consumption is an unreliable vehicle. Now the car is unreliable starting up and the engine knocks.

I brought the car to a trusted mechanic and who strongly suggested I bring it to the dealer while still at 48,000 miles. Dealer stated that their tech could not replicate the starting problem and blamed it on the poor gas available in the northeast USA. After getting no answers from Mastria Subaru in MA, I tried to start my car with the same poor results. Walked back into the dealer and they stated this is normal and just keep cracking over the engine. After 30 seconds of cracking over the engine, the car finally started. I guess this is what is considered normal for an unreliable vehicle.

Very disappointed that CR highly recommended this vehicle.

- Michael F., Fall River, MA, US

Mar 012012

Forester 2.5 2.5L 4

My 2011 Forester started using oil on my 6000 mile trip to Oregon, used about a quart every 100 miles and still does, sometimes more. Called Subaru and they said it could use a quart every 1200 miles and the dealer said the same thing. I was never warned about this when I bought my 2011. I had a 2005 and It never used any oil. If I had been told about the 2011 before I bought it, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

- Thomas M., Kettering, OH, US

Aug 072012

Forester 4 cyl

Upon arriving at my destination I could smell oil. I had driven nearly 350 miles right after getting an oil change at the Boardman Sabaru dealership in Boardman, OH. Upon opening the hood I saw that there wasn't an oil fill cap. Oil was everywhere under the hold and dripping on the ground. While driving through Philadephia, PA I thought to myself why doesn't that guy put oil in his car? It was me!!!! I had the car towed to a local dealership in NJ and they SOLD me a new oil fill cap and said that there was no engine damage!

Well, from that time on I use engine oil to the point of 1 quart of oil on every gas fill up. The good news is that I have not lost gas mileage when there's oil in the engine, but it's costly to have to add on average $9.00 to the cost of filling the tank. The dealership has tried to work with me with a few free oil changes but the Regional Manager has not complied to my request to fix the problem.

What really irritates me is that now I'm being told that highway driven will increase the need to add oil every 1200 miles. Why wasn't I told this when I bought the car? The salesperson was aware that I do a lot of highway miles per year (60,000 to 70,000)????

This is unfortunate because I really like the car. Subaru needs to put in a new short block.

- Roderick Y., Columbiana, OH, US

Aug 102013

Forester

Tried to get a routine oil change at Sears and they wouldn't change it cause there was no oil on the dipstick. I had just got a new job in Frederick, MD and was traveling back and forth toJohnstown, PA on the weekends. So my Forester was geting more of a workout that ever.

Took it to local Frederick Subaru dealer who said it was normal to loose a quart of oil every 2K miles. I looked it up on some other complaint sites and everyone who owns a 2011 had the same issue. It is a common issue know to Subaru but since it is not fatal it does not warrent a recall. But to have to remember to check it every 2k miles is a "pain in the a$$"!! Especially this winter!! I love my subaru except for this oil issue. Since a new engine is not covered under insurance, I will be playing mechanic and checking it out every 2K miles.

- Lee U., Frederick, MD, US

Nov 222013

Forester X Touring

After burning 6 quarts of oil every 2k miles and my dealership telling me its completely normal for a newer Subaru to burn oil, my POS '11 Forester has finally bit the dust after 88k miles. Even worse, the "Check Engine" nor the oil light have ever come on.

After filing an official complaint over a month ago, I've gotten zero help from the dealership and even less from Subaru corporate. Keep in mind, I have brought this up with the dealership every time I've brought my car in for service.

How can a company with such an insanely loyal customer base produce such an insanely finicky/needy automobile?

-Subaru Case# 1-4479302545