ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2.1

2012 Subaru Legacy drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Subaru Legacy:

2012 Subaru Legacy Owner Comments

Oct 012018

Legacy

Takara recall my transmission slips from 5th to 6th gear I have spoken with manufacturer about but because my car is past their extended warranty that did for the issue and did not inform me I found out after the deadline for it Subaru just informed me that if I want it done I have to $5000 dollars to get it replaced because I should have known about the deadline beforehand but could not confirm if a letter got sent out for that VIN number

- Laporte, IN, USA

Aug 012018

Legacy

I bought this care a few years ago and from day one if ever in traffic or on highway and have to stop really quickly, it will cause the car to stall, , I had no idea what was wrong I loved the car and just avoided stoping abruptly, but as I have learned over the years this is impossible, a car must be able to stop, its life or death serious... to many time to count my 2012 Subaru Legacy has stalled, ,, come to find out Subaru is fully aware of this issue and has avoided a recall, ,, thing is I am a father so for years I have been driving a car that has this dangerous defect, , very alarming, ,, so I contacted Subaru directly and because there is not a recall, , they just gave me the run around, , this problem with the torque converter is widely known, ,, this has lead me to filing this report, ,, thing is if Subaru doesn't want to do a recall at least fix the ones that are brought to your attention, to insure public safety, it is just very unfair and honestly very dangerous, ,,, Subaru is aware of this problem with the cvt yet has so far dodged a bullet and honestly I have to, just glad I didn't get in a wreck, ,,, Subaru please make this right

- Carbondale, IL, USA

Mar 062017

Legacy

Car will shudder and almost die or will die when coming to a stop. Was told it was the torque convertor. We have the cvt transmission

- Forney, TX, USA

Dec 272016

Legacy 4-cyl

2012 70,000 miles car began to stall at stops but not all the time. More often at abrupt stops. This happens anywhere at a stop light, stop sign, freeway driving. Extremely dangerous problem. I am being told it is the torque converter air flow (something like that) and can cost $2500 to fix. It appears Subaru has known about this problem since at least 2010 and has not alerted the owners of these vehicles.

- Rancho Cordova, CA, USA

Nov 302016

Legacy

My Subaru Legacy has been recently stalling when coming to a stop. It shudders and if you do not give it gas or place in neutral, the engine will die. I have read that this is caused from a faulty torque converter that Subaru is aware of but has failed to issue a recall. I'm not sure I would buy another product that isn't fully backed and supported by the manufacturer.

- Granite Bay, CA, USA

Feb 022012

Legacy

The contact owns a 2012 Subaru Legacy. While driving approximately 75 mph, the contact heard a whining sound coming from the engine. The vehicle would also stall when driving at low speeds or idling. The dealer stated that the transmission was faulty. The transmission was replaced and the failures were remedied. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 2,000.

- Liberty, WV, USA