ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

3.6

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek:

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Owner Comments

Jun 012018

XV Crosstrek

Power steering issues. Light illuminates on dashboard and power steering problems occur. It's only 4 years old (never driven off road) taken well care of, and there are serious problems with the electronical part of the power steering saying there is a problem and when driving it locks up making turns really hard when turning the wheel. Then our car shut off like the battery was dead for half a day and we tried one last time to start it before jumping and it started up and worked. Seems like something is wired wrong.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Dec 152017

XV Crosstrek

The car cannot move due to it is unable to shift out of park. The brake light doesnt come on --believe it is the brake switch sometime doesn't work dealer wont admit problem

- Sudbury, MA, USA

Apr 032017

XV Crosstrek

First noticed my horn was not working, then my iphone was no longer sinqued to the car. When I used the switches on the steering wheel witbtbe radio, then the navigstion screen started blinking on and offf, then wwnt nlavk. Bur next day the navigation screen came back on but still no horn and not anle to sinque iphone. I made appointment with mccurley Subaru in pasvo, wa and after checking it out the desler told me the wiring connector in the steering column, behind the air bag was defective and would cost morr than $400 to replace. The dealer let me drive my dubaru back to pendleton a D I have an appointment to have the new wiring connector installed Monday, 4/10/17. Over the weekend I found reports on car advice site stating the 2012-2014 Xv crosstrek models like mine were recalledto fix this wiring connector problem. Apoarently there is a metal plate near the wiring connector that gets hot and meltd some of the wiring. The symptoms listed are exactly like mine. However, Subaru never notified me of the recall, nor did mccurley Subaru dealer when they quoted me a $400 plus to fix or replace the defective wiring connector. On another issue, my Subaru has been burning more than a quart of oil between oil changes. When I had mccurley di comsumption request they said in 1,000 miles it was using a fourth of a quart, not enough to replace engine short block, after they did consumption test it is using less oil, so zi wonder if they put stp or similar product in my out so my car burns lesd ool until it passes 100,000 miles. Frustrating to have so many problems with my first Subaru.

- Pendleton, OR, USA

Feb 282017

XV Crosstrek

Three times I have safely stopped my car to take a phone call. I put the gear in park and left the key in acc/accessory position. Each time the acc/accessory position has totally drained the battery in 5-10 minutes. Subaru dealer service has informed me that all models from 2014 have a "weak" underperforming battery and they replace the damaged by depletion battery with the same battery. Subaru has never warned anyone or acknowledged this problem. I feel it is dishonest and dangerous to have this in the manual "the second position is the acc/accessory position, which allows you to use your radio, windshield wipers, and other accessories while the engine is off." When in fact you can never safely use the acc position. I have been lucky -- I was on city streets. What about someone on the highway stopping to use their phone. Or even to rest? another fact: Subaru never revealed what was happening to me. The third aaa driver to come to jump my car told me what was going on. I then confronted Subaru dealer service and they admitted this was the truth. Subaru needs to inform / warn all the 2014 owners that there is no working acc position in all these cars.

- Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Jun 122015

XV Crosstrek

Rodents destroyed a wire associated with my power steering. The car was towed to the dealer, and they provided a rental. The next night the same wire was again destroyed by rodents. Again the power steering was disabled. At that point I sensed something was amiss, so I filed a report with law enforcement. After speaking to the dealer and doing some research it became apparent that 100% of the wires in my vehicle are insulated with a soy based material. This includes wiring related to vital safety systems like airbags. Insulating automobile wires with soy, especially those wires related to safety equipment, is an engineering disgrace. Rodents have always had a tendency to chew on wiring. Therefore, using the same product found in commercial rodent food to insulate vital automobile wiring is outrageous. I now have a brand new car that I can't trust to start in the morning, function correctly, or protect me in an accident.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

May 042015

XV Crosstrek

The reverse camera intermittently does not work when it should. The Subaru service center replaced the audio unit 6 months ago when this concern first started to happen but the repair did not work since it still happens. The dealer & Subaru customer service support were not able to come to a resolution the 2nd time around for this problem. I have elected to leave the vehicle with the dealer for them to try and verify & diagnose but they refuse to keep it longer than one week. It is getting frustrating as when the camera is most needed, it does not work. Thankfully there have been no injuries or collisions due to this problem & I am 100 percent aware that this system is just an "aid" & not to be relied on 100 percent when backing the vehicle up.

- Holliswood, NY, USA