ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2009 Volkswagen GTI brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen GTI:

2009 Volkswagen GTI Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jul 312018

GTI

My vehicle was in motion slowing down to a red light when the ABS, traction control, and break lights came on at the same time. I ran diagnostics and all 4 ABS sensors failed. This leads me to believe there might be a problem with the grounding connection or the entire ABS module is faulty. This is a huge safety concern because the car may think the tires are skidding on dry pavement, compute a false positive, and cause a serious accident. My car has been in the dealership for almost two weeks and I was provided no loaner car in the mean time. Attached you will find diagnostics reports when I went to the dealership and price repairs, vws own website results for recalls under my VIN number, VW actual specific recall policy, and the NHTSA results confirming there is an open recall for my specific VIN number. VW action code is 45F2. NHTSA recall number is 16V913.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Jun 082018

GTI

Without warning, the ABS module in the car failed, giving warning lights on the dash and making the car undriveable. Recall work was pursued with the a VW dealer and Volkswagen of America, but the recall work was denied, saying this failure was outside the scope of the recall. Car has not been repaired.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Jul 222018

GTI

ABS faliure. ABS warning light activates, activates sporadically while driving randomly, braking ability is hampered, does not work normally. Occassionally antilock breaks engage at low speed breaking. Brakes do not function normally. Speedometer experienced malfunction, fluctuations not related to speed occured. Stability malfunctioned during breaking and automatic downshifting.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 212018

GTI

I researched my VIN when I purchased the vehicle and found an incomplete safety recall on the ABS module. That recall number is 16V913. Before I could take the vehicle to the scheduled appointment the ABS module failed. The Volkswagen dealer in Tacoma, Washington charged me a diagnostic fee because the module failed communication, in which they found the module did indeed fail, but they would not replace it because they claim it wasn't covered under the warranty or the recall. They submitted a secondary claim to VW of America to try to have them approve the claim which was also denied. I am reaching out to hopefully get help with getting my vehicle fixed and once again safe to drive. Attached will be a copy of the invoice from the dealer and their findings.

- Lacey, WA, USA

Nov 202017

GTI

While driving lights flashing, speedometer stops working, fuel gauge stops working. Steering wheel moves funny. There is a recall on the program that they installed but now they just say that the unit needs to be replaced. They are asking $2400 for the repair but there are many complaints on the internet from many owners.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 132017

GTI

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Gti. While driving various speeds, the antilock brake system (ABS) and electronic stability control (ESC) warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the ABS module malfunctioned and needed replacement. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure continued intermittently until the warning indicators remained illuminated at all times. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V913000 (service brakes, hydraulic, ESC). The vehicle was then taken to gunther Volkswagen of fort lauderdale (1660 S state rd 7, fort lauderdale, fl 33317, (954) 797-1660) where it was confirmed that the ABS module needed replacement. The vehicle was not serviced per the recall because insufficient pcu ground connection was not detected. The manufacturer stated that the module could not be included in the recall. The failure mileage was approximately 80,000.

- Davie, FL, USA

Dec 082017

GTI

My vehicle has experienced exactly what NHTSA campaign # 16V913000 and it is the model and year as listed in the campaign. With ignition on and while driving all of a sudden 4-5-possibly 6 lights come on my dashboard a chime starts dinging and the ABS, ESC, airbag, epc, barke pedal lights illuminate on dash along with either the speedo or tachometer start jumping. Vehicle can be stationary or driving but vehicle must be running.

- Westlake, OH, USA

Sep 272017

GTI

Flashing brake light, with ABS and stability control warning lights. ABS and stability control no longer function. Believed to be failed ABS module.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Aug 132017

GTI

While driving down a rural highway in clear conditions and light traffic, at about 45 mph, several lights came on the dash, and the tachometer started jumping up and down I had no acceleration, and was lucky to be in a place to get off the road. I don't recall if I touched the brakes or not just before this happened, as it is sometimes necessary when driving with other cars on the road, but there was no hard braking. I was just driving normally. If I touched them at all, it would have been lightly, .the car would start fine but no gears. Towed to dealership. Their report said "small metal shards about the size of a grain of sand" in the trans fluid, and "it appears the transmission commuter did not disengage the clutch in use as it engaged the clutch for the next gear and tried running the vehicle in two gears at the same time at cruising speed., which in turn damaged the transmission internally and destroyed the dual clutch friction discs." I recently found out that there is a recall for the ABS module on my vehicle. Another driver (NHTSA id 10944646) indicated that when his ABS module failed, that his vehicle randomly downshifts to first gear, and is unable to switch back. He said "what starts as a simple brake problem is now an undriveable car". is this what happened to my car" could my ABS module failure cause the transmission to downshift while travelling at 45 mph? should the transmission repair be included in the ABS recall program" this was a very dangerous situation, and I had no warning before it happened. Also, it was very hot out, about 90 degrees, if temperature plays a role in this situation. I am making an appointment to have the ABS issue repaired under the recall, but volkswagon is taking no responsibility for the transmission failure. They said it is out of warranty. I think they may be related, and customers need to know if this is a possibility.

- Suttons Bay, MI, USA

Jun 012017

GTI

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Gti. While driving unknown speeds, the brake pedal was applied, but failed to respond. Additionally, the brake pedal warning indicator was flashing. The local dealer was not contacted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,663.

- Panama City, FL, USA

May 052017

GTI

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Gti. While starting the vehicle, the ABS indicator illuminated. Also, while making a turn at various speeds, the instrument panel and the fuel gauge randomly failed. The vehicle was taken to a local ancira Volkswagen dealer located in san antonio, tx where it was diagnosed that the ABS module needed to be updated. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V913000 (service brakes, hydraulic, electronic stability control). The manufacturer was contacted and stated that the codes did not match the faults listed in the recall. The contact was denied the recall repair. The failure mileage was approximately 81,600.

- Heletos, TX, USA

May 172017

GTI

I have just started to encounter problems with my ABS module. I received a recall on the module and took it in to an authorized Volkswagen dealer asap. Left the car with them for a day in hope to receive news that they were going to order my module and have it completed in a few days. I was wrong. They called me and claimed that it was not going to be covered in the recall. I don't understand how something so critical to the safety of everyone on the road will not be replaced, even when there is a recall on the part. My car absolutely freaks out while driving. I lose my speedometer, my steering is not as responsive as it should be and my dash cluster freaks out. I'm personally scared to drive my own car because I do not want to kill or injure other people or myself while driving the car I need to get around to work, and run daily errands. I scanned my check engine light with multiple people and systems and received a code U0121 which read connection failure in ABS module and was told the module most likely does not have ground. This has happened to so many 09 VW vehicles, yet I've read so many forums and have talked to so many other 09 VW owners who said their cars "did not qualify" for this recall as well. The dealer quoted me 1,300 to fix this issue. I'm lost at words on how I have a recall on an obvious problem which is a manufacture error and I have to pay 1,300 to replace it or good luck with whatever accident you many get in. This has happened on freeways, city streets, and the scariest part is coming down the mountain which I have to drive 5 days out of the week for work. This a problem with these cars and only a few are being taken care of while the rest have to pay or goodluck.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Dec 012016

GTI

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Gti. While driving 35 mph, when the brake pedal was depressed, the check engine, ABS, brake, electronic stability control, and epc indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the ABS module needed to be replaced. The dealer estimated that the repair would cost $1,500-$2,000. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred several other times. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V913000 (service brakes, hydraulic, electronic stability control). The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the manufacturer denied the recall repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that since the ABS module control failed to work, the recall repair could not be performed. The failure mileage was 96,000.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Dec 122015

GTI

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Gti. When the brake pedal was depressed at various speeds, the vehicle hesitated to respond and the instrument panel warning indicators flickered on and off. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that an unknown steering mechanism failed and the steering module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the ABS control module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V913000 (service brakes, hydraulic, electronic stability control). The failure mileage was 95,120.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Feb 182017

GTI

16V913. The manufacture has failed to cover the cost of replacing the ABS module. The reason given was that although my VIN is covered, the ABS module part number is not on the list of parts that are covered. My car has experienced all the symptoms of recall number 16V913 and the software update did not fix the issue.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Feb 102017

GTI

An 25,2017 manufacturer recall number45F2 NHTSA recall number16V913 recall statusrecall incomplete summary on certain vehicles, a fault within the antilock brake system (ABS) may cause the module to fail during ABS and/or electronic stability control(ESC) activation. This will cause warning lights for ABS, brake and the ESC systems to illuminate. Safety risk if this happens, the brake system related vehicle stabilizing functions (ABS/ESC) may not be available, increasing the risk of a loss of vehicle control and could lead to a crash causing injury and/or property damage. Remedy to help correct this defect, your authorized Volkswagen dealer will update the ABS control module software with improved diagnostic capability to detect insufficient pcu ground connection. ABS modules with insufficient ground connections will be replaced. The software update will take less than an hour to complete; if the ABS module requires replacement, this work can take up to a full day to complete. The recall repair will be performed for you free of charge. Took car to dealership and was told module did not fail in a way that VW would cover the replacement costs.

- Staunton, VA, USA

Feb 042017

GTI

ABS and stability control lights on permanently. Brake light blinks always. Steering wheel, epc and check engine like all come out intermittently. When steering wheel light is on steering is stiff at low speeds. Speedometer only works intermittently. Engine fault workshop and please refuel come up randomly on the info screen even when gas is full. When speedometer is not working, automatic dsg transmission will randomly downshift gears making car quickly and dangerously decelerate. Has almost caused accidents while driving on wet or snowy roads. Car has also locked doors while in park when speedometer not working, locking me out of the car. Girlfriend also witnessed it happen while waiting in idling car.

- Allston, MA, USA

Feb 082017

GTI

When I brake sometimes the brakes lock up, ABS light comes on, traction control and brake light come on. The lights stay on until I shut off car and restart. Has happened at slow and fast speeds.

- Faribault, MN, USA

Jan 192017

GTI

The vehicle was in motion when the warning lights for ABS, brake and the ESC systems illuminated making a beep noise, the gas indicator said the car had less gas than really had. While in the road the car lost power. I think it is related with the ABS and stability control recall: NHTSA campaign number: 16V913000. Took it to the dealer, they say they do not have the recall number yet.

- Buford, GA, USA

Jan 022017

GTI

Vehicle has failed ABS module, as diagnosed by mechanic. ABS light is on and brake light flashes, as to be expected. While in motion, on either city street or freeway, vehicle randomly downshifts to first gear and is unable to switch back. Only way to get car working again is to turn car off and on, a dangerous proposition when you're on the freeway. In addition, power steering goes out and engine fault workshop! comes on after a few minutes in motion. Speedometer also randomly stops working while tachometer goes out of control. What begins as a simple brake problem is now an undriveable car. Have had to push car to side of the road several times because of this. Completely unsafe conditions to drive in.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA