CarComplaints.com Notes: Digging through the long list of NHTSA complaints about a sudden loss of engine power and the high pressure fuel pump failing, it's never good to come across the "my car (with a cold engine) set itself on fire in the middle of the night" complaint.

7.4

2. replace radio (7 reports)
  3. replace satalite module (1 reports)
2011 Volkswagen Jetta accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Volkswagen Jetta:

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Aug 102017

Jetta TDI 2.0L

Seems to be a known issue that was reported to VW many times by many owners; no manufacturer recognition or solution.

- , Marysville, WA, US

Feb 012017

Jetta SE 2.5L 5 cyl

Driving home from work, radio suddenly started popping. Not once, but continued a truly loud, loud noise even after turning the radio off!. Not only did it do it the entire 7 miles I drove home but once home it continued after I shut the car off and removed the keys!!! We had to disconnect the battery to stop it.!!!!

Since that happened nothing, radio/navigation/Bluetooth handsfree, works! I am not happy! Car was several thousand miles out of warranty and I don't have the $ to replace a $700-$800 radio only to have it happen again as I've read some people have experienced.

There is something fundamentally wrong with this picture. Volkswagen is aware of this and yet? NO RECALL. This is BS. I've read that Volkswagen doesn't have the time or energy to expend on this because they are so engrossed in the diesel fiasco. That response is not what a customer wants to, nor should be expected to hear from their automobile manufacturer. They need to make this right. My family has owned well over a dozen cars from the late 50's to current and only this Jetta has had a radio failure.

Not only has the radio failed but there is something else going on along with this. My car goes dead if I don't run it for 4 or 5 days in a row. Replaced the battery with a new one matching manufacturers recommendation. Let the car sit for 4 days and I have to get it jumpstarted. This all started when the radio quit. Have others experienced the same??

Anyway, I am sorry to say, because I love my car otherwise, that this will be the last VW product I will own. When a company that has produced a faulty product fails to take care of their consumer, it is a sign they do not want our further business. I think we owners need to start a class action suit and bring them to their knees....it would be simpler and cheaper for VW to fix the problem than have to defend and lose a law suit.

- , Seattle, WA, US

Aug 152016

click to see larger images

radio stopped working

I purchased my 2011 VW Jetta, used in November of 2013. The radio died in January of 2015. My car was still under warranty, so VW replaced it with a $50 deposit. 1.5 years later (Aug 2016) the radio died AGAIN. I called VW assuming they would replace it again, even though my car was out of warranty, as there was clearly something wrong. I spoke to multiple people on multiple dates and they all said, no. So after a year of trying, I put in a brand new non-factory radio (Alpine ILX-107). The radio itself works great, but the electrical issues have continued. I will report the additional issues in my next complaint.

Jul 252017

Jetta SE 2.5L

Car stereo suddenly went out a few days ago on my 2011 Jetta, in the same manner as has been reported by others. No popping sound. No noise. No warning. Screen just went dark.

Before taking it to the dealership I had been hoping it was a fuse but learning today that it was not. completely unexpected, of course, as most car repairs are. And particularly difficult, given that I'm currently out of work. The $700 its costing to replace it with a refurb unit that may encounter the same problem really hurts.

- , Seattle, US

Jan 152015

click to see larger images

radio stopped working

I purchased my 2011 VW Jetta, used in November of 2013. The radio died in January of 2015. My car was still under warranty, so VW replaced it with a $50 deposit. I have continued to have issues with the radio, but will file that under a separate complaint.

Jul 212017

Jetta SE

I purchased my 2011 VW Jetta, used in November of 2013. The radio died in January of 2015. My car was still under warranty, so VW replaced it with a $50 deposit. 1.5 years later (Aug 2016) the radio died for a second time. I took it back to VW and they said I would have to pay $815 to replace it. I was clearly frustrated, especially since there was no guarantee it wouldn't happen again. After a year of no radio I decided to put a non-factory (Alpine IXL-107) radio into the car. Although the radio works great, it has caused everything underneath the radio to go in and out (heated seats, AC, back window defroster, etc.). I took it back to the shop that put the radio in and they took it out, reconnected and changed some of the wiring hoping it would help. Unfortunately, it didn't. Everything keeps going in and out when I start the car. At this point, I don't know what to do! I will NEVER buy a VW again, as they clearly can't be trusted.

Jul 082017

Jetta SE

So my radio just stopped working...I was driving down the road and it died. From what I can read online, this is a problem for 2010-2011 Jettas. It sucks because I LOVE music, and I will probably have to buy a new radio, which sucks because this will be the first car I have ever had to replace a radio.

- , Bi, US

Jul 092017

Jetta SE 2.5L

The radio on our 2011 Jetta SE stopped working today. Checked all the fuses, everything there checks out - no blown fuses.

I see on here others have had this problem as well.

I have an appointment with the dealer for a diagnosis - I DO NOT plan to replace it if it is a $ 600 - $ 800 repair!

Update from Jul 13, 2017: Pad $ 139 to have it checked out at the dealership - they said the radio had gone bad. It would cost around $ 700 to repair with a new radio - I told them no thanks!

I have ordered a used radio on ebay for $ 169 - same type that was in our Jetta and plan to install it myself after watching a youtube video and saw how easy it was.

Note: I am told by a friend that works at a VW dealrership that I will need an unlock code once I give him the VIN of the car and the serial # of the Jetta, then he can look it up to see what to put into the radio so it will work.

- , Acworth, GA, US

Feb 112017

Jetta S 2.5L

Once again VW has let me down, 2nd Jetta I have owned, never had an issue with the first one. But driving down the road jamming to the radio and suddenly I am jamming to nothing, it died, and has not come back on, mechanic checked the fuses nope, he is checking the radio control module today, before he states it is dead. This radio has sirus which i have never used however I have read that it may have something to do with that, mad is not the word for what I am been without music for almost a week, not a good thing.

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Feb 082017

Jetta SE

Evidently this is a known issue to VW, but they have yet to issue any notification, recall, or proposed solution. True, they are busy trying to sort through the whole diesel fiasco, but that does not negate the responsibility to other VW owners who are experiencing issues.

- , Lakewood, OH, USA

Dec 042016

Jetta Hughline 2.5L

The radio randomly turned off and now I am not able to play music or listen to the radio. My bluetooth still works for some strange reason as I'm able to connect to it.

When I turn my seat heating on the radio screen flickers on and off so it may be the radio at fault or relay I think.

- , Vancouver, BC, Canada

Oct 282016

Jetta LE 2.5L

Back in October of 2016, my radio in my 2011 Jetta stopped working. The touchscreen was just black. I took it to a VW dealership and was told after an $89 diagnostic check that the radio was shot and it would be $720 to replace it. I did not do so, as that is way too much money. I did a quick search on the internet and saw that 1000's of other Jetta owners experienced the same thing. I called VW customer care and was told that no one else has called to complain about this issue and until other complaints are made, a recall will not be issued.

- , Eastlake, OH, US

Aug 262016

Jetta SE 2.0L

I bought this car in 2013- I was looking for a car with blue tooth and a decent radio system because I have a long commute to work and usually run errands in my car all day as well. So the radio was my main concern when purchasing my vehicle and I thought I found the perfect car. Then a few weeks ago while driving home from work my radio turned off and went blank. Luckily I was near a VW dealership and drove straight there because driving with a working radio is the reason I bought this car. They took out the unit and checked the fuses and said my radio shorted and it would cost $600-$700 just for the radio not installation. Of course my warranty is up and after doing research online I see that this has happened to a significant amount of people. Today I called customer service and multiple dealerships and there is no recall on this issue even though I see hundreds of people have had this problem. My family has all had Volkswagens and yet there has always been minor electrical issues but NEVER the radio dying. My dad's 1962 bug radio stills works and he said he never owned a car where the radio died or stopped working only on one occasion but the RADIO WAS STOLEN not broken. My first car a 1987 BMW had the original radio unit and it still worked until the day the engine died. I refuse to pay over $300 to replace my radio in my car that I have only owned for three years. Im about to file a class action lawsuit if Volkswagen doesn't address this issue.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 092015

Jetta Highline Tdi

WHEN Sirius IS SELECTED RADIO DISPLAYS "LINKING" Dealer has looked at the unit however cannot confirm diagnosis but suspects satellite module failure. Dealer suggested repair will surpass $500.00, not a solution. Sirius shut off, otherwise radio works.

- , Kamloops, BC, Canada

May 232016

Jetta

For a few months I've had a problem with the radio just lowering the volume on it's own while I am driving. It will go so low you can't hear it and I have to turn it back up. A couple of weeks ago, I got in the car to go to work and the radio would not come on at all. After about 10 minutes, it just turned on. This week it is doing that every day. The phone will Bluetooth to the car, but I can't use it until the radio decides to come on. I don't make a lot of calls in the car, but I constantly stream via my Sirius app.

- , Evans, GA, USA

Mar 222016

Jetta TDI 2.0L L4 Dohc 16v Diesel T

hear a pop then radio quit working

I am annoyed that the radio quit working. So far, no fuse appears to be burnt either. Monday, March 28, I turned on the heated seats and guess what....my seats won't heat up. The lights come on to say that it is heating up but nothing. So I'm thinking okay, first my car is involved in the diesel lawsuit and now the stereo quits working and I have 6 CD's in it. At first, I thought, "Well at least everything else is working." Then I turned on the seat heater and it never gets hot. Has anyone else had this problem?

- , Brazoria, TX, USA

May 212014

Jetta LX 2.5L

I bought this car for $20,000. it is four years old. The radio will not turn on. the dealer told me that it would be $800.00 to fix. He also said that I was the fourth person to have the same problem.

- , Oakland, MD, USA