2016 Volvo XC90 body / paint NHTSA complaints: Structure:Body

NHTSA — Structure: Body Problems

2016 Volvo XC90 body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Volvo XC90:

2016 Volvo XC90 Owner Comments

Dec 142016

XC90

Within a month of purchase issues with the cargo door started, door would not close, parked in my garage unloading groceries, called our Volvo service manager repeatedly for help, no answer, it finally closed an hour later.then the battery low charge light kept coming on, finally took it in for both issues, they updated, showed me that the door worked and charged the battery.another month went by and had a low battery issue took it back in they updated again and charged the battery again.had a bad sensor issue and the cargo door decided not to open, cargo button would not work.took it in they updated and changed the sensor.another month or so later had a recall on it, took it in, updated it. Then another recall, updated it.started auto correcting and braking while being driven on a major street.then the control pad wouldn't work, took it in it needed an update. Another recall a month or so later, went to take it in and it wouldn't drive, put it in reverse, it went forward, put it in forward it went in reverse, then the heater wouldn't work, the control pad started freezing all on the way to take it in for a recall. We were told it would be fixed with the update.car turned off and locked because I moved my purse to the other side of my body while driving.then about another month later it does the same reverse when put into drive, the control pad starts acting up, radio, phone and climate control freeze.then the cargo bay door closes on my son while we are unloading groceries without anyone touching it or being in the car besides him partially in the back to reach the furthest grocery bags. Taking it in again this week, but that's the last straw!I will no longer drive it as I do not trust what will malfunction next, my son narrowly escaped injury by diving out to the ground because I could not stop the cargo door from closing, car was parked and turned off inside my garage

- Greensburg, PA, USA

Jul 282016

XC90

While the car was running in my garage and the front driver side door closed, I believe I put it in reverse then went to open the front door to see if my daughter was tightened in her car seat, the car didn't move. I am not sure if I put it back in park but after I took my foot off the brake, it didn't move. After a few seconds and my feet and body completely out of the car, it started to go back and almost ran me over. Luckily I jumped back in the Volvo truck and the door crashed into the garage. This is a brand new truck and has been in the shop with some recalls on the computer system a few weeks prior. The computer system has shut down several times while driving and I believe the long delay in going back might have to do with something with the electronics/motor. There is no way one should be able to completely get out of a car without knowing it is in gear.

- Halesite, NY, USA

Feb 232016

XC90

While driving on a city street I put the car in eco mode. The car was moving at the time. I noticed that the car seemed to be driving loudly. As I turned left, I saw the car was in manual mode and was in first gear. So I took my foot off of the brake to slow down the car and try to put it into drive. As I tried to move the gear shifter, the car came to a complete, sudden stop. It felt like all four wheels were suddenly and immediately locked. I could not move them, even as I hit the gas. I did not see any indication on the dashboard that the emergency brake had been activated. I had not fiddled in any way with the button that allows me to change to eco mode or with the parking brake. In the moment immediately preceding the stop, I had my left hand on the steering wheel and my right hand on the gear shifter. The person behind me rear-ended me. The damage to my car was minimal. I had been the first person in the line to turn left, so there was no one in front of me. I am not sure how I was able to get the car started again. I think I turned the stop/start button a couple of times. I later attempted to recreate the automatic stop. Before making a left turn, I put the car into eco mode. As I turned, I slowly released the gas and slowly braked. The car again came to an immediate stop, as though all 4 wheels were locked at the same time. When then happened, I managed to get the car going again, and the next time I put my foot on the brake, the car came to a screeching halt again. I have not been able to recreate this scenario since then, including while trying to drive the car with a dealer rep. The dealer had a technician come in from ky, and he was not able to find any problems.

- Solon, OH, USA