CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2004 Chrysler Pacifica electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica:

2004 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

May 242016

Pacifica

My vehicle, while in motion on a city street, became uncontrollable. This happened when I accidentally hit the key in the ignition and it turned it to the off position. I suddenly lost control of the steering, brakes and nearly my mind! luckily I was able to get the car into neutral and roll to a stop. I feel lucky to have gotten out of the situation with my life! if I had been on a busier street, going at a faster speed, I am certain the situation would have lead to dire consequences.

- Hixson, TN, USA

Feb 102016

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that there was a progressing failure in which the vehicle was randomly stalling. The contact was able to restart the vehicle but, as the failure continued, it took longer than normal to get the vehicle to restart. The contact was unable to determine when the vehicle would start due to the failure. The manufacturer was notified and stated that the VIN was not included in a manufacturer recall to address the repair. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was not available.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Apr 112016

Pacifica

Driving after 45 minutes to 1 hr stop for short break (approximately 15 minutes). Shut car off then upon returning to car the car won't start. Tries too or hesitates. Call triple aaa they hook it up to computer can't find anything wrong. Starter good, alternator good, battery good. Still won't start. Hook to jump pack might start. This has happened 5 times in 2 weeks. Garage can't find anything wrong either. Once started finish driving another 1/2 hour shut vechicle off for either 6 hours or more; starts fine as long as I don't stop anywhere. Help

- Otis, MA, USA

Apr 232016

Pacifica

I was driving and my children smelled smoke. I pulled over and opened the hood and saw a fire. A stranger stopped and tried putting it out with a fire extinguisher but it caught on so quickly that there was no chance. I suffered a complete loss since the entire car was engulfed in flames.

- Xenia, OH, USA

Jul 152015

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact attempted to illuminate the headlights, but the headlights failed to illuminate. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and the mechanic replaced the tipm module. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 247,000.

- Riverside , CA, USA

Jun 222015

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving at approximately 30 mph, there was smoke emitting from the dashboard. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the control module box was destroyed. In addition, the wire harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 128,000.

- Hanford, CA, USA

May 052015

Pacifica

Technician found perforation on the front subframe/cradle area estimated cost to replace $ $2,566.62.

- Petersham, MA, USA

May 032015

Pacifica 6-cyl

I was going down the freeway when my battery light came on out of nowhere and then a smell of burnt rubber started coming through the car I pulled over and shut the engine off popped the hood and found a fire on my alternator. I was able to put the fire out but my children were in the car I am afraid to drive it.

- Roseville, MI, USA

Apr 012015

Pacifica 6-cyl

I was driving at about 30 mph when the car completely shut down. The car was then jumped and I tried to drive it around the corner and it completely shut down again this time losing all control...no brakes or steering. I almost crashed into the cars that were parked. These cars are death traps and need to be recalled! the whole frame is also rotting out. In a perfect world I would just run out and buy a new car but I am a mother of 3 and that's just not able to happen right now. I'm not even sure if the car can be repaired. It had to be towed to 2 different mechanics and I haven't heard back whether or not it can be fixed! someone needs to step up to the plate and hold Chrysler accountable! I've had nothing but problems since day one and when I put my V.I.N # in it says there are no recalls on my car....that's a joke! this car is a lemon!

- Revere, MA, USA

Oct 162013

Pacifica

Nothing but problems huge issue electrical problems, dash won't turn off so I have to use the four way button to kick the dash off so it doesn't run my battery dead, navigation system stopped working, heater/ac control panel stopped working along with radio and dvd system, sometimes the doors lock and sometimes they don't can't use brand new key for keyless entry, short somewhere running the battery dead had alternator checked and it's good had three new batteries also these cars are junk !!

- Mcconnelsville, OH, USA

Jan 282015

Pacifica

All of the dash lights, ABS, brake, interior lights, headlights have been flickering for a solid 3 days. I was driving at night on a non-lit stretch of road when all my lights went out, inside and out with a car approaching from the other direction. I tried to use my high beams and they were out too. I had my children and had to pull over. I have read reviews and this seems to be a huge problem with these cars yet no recall" why" this is so dangerous! this is my main vehicle I drive for work and with my family. I know am scared to drive it and what people have stated its hard and expensive to fix!

- Kiefer, OK, USA

Jul 012014

Pacifica 6-cyl

I been having my Chrysler Pacifica 2004 for 7 months. I had to fix my left passenger axle, shock, water pump, radiator, passenger upper motor mount, the tank for the water, fuel injector line, two tune ups, air filter, fuses, brake lights and tires. Thing that is broke, the passenger window elevator, and my ac.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Aug 052014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact was unable to start the vehicle when the key was turned in the ignition. The remote starter was also inoperable. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 148,718.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Mar 132013

Pacifica 6-cyl

My 2004 Chrysler Pacifica stalls out of nowhere when I'm driving it can be when I'm driving at 5 miles or even 20,30 or even 50 miles or if I'm making a turn which is very scary when my steering wheel locks up on me. It also wont start all the time I've had my car in the shop over 20 time to find out what's going on, I've spent over $5,000 dollars trying to fix it but to no avail. I've been doing some research on this issue and there are tunes of people with the same problem on 04, 05, and 06 Chrysler Pacifica's but only the 05's have a recall on the PCM. I've had my gas line changed twice because I could only use half a tank be for it would drop to E and run out of gas and that was $3,000 within a year and that's been a big issue in the Pacifica world also. I just don't understand why Chrysler wont fix the problems on these SUV's its clearly a safety issue that needs to be resolved. I've trusted Chrysler with my family and it's scary to drive this car knowing it can and will shut off on me at any time and may not start back up. I don't have money to get a new car being a single mom of 4 that's why I purchased this car. Now with all the problems that I'm having with it and no one knows what's wrong with it or how to fix it is a big headache. I took it to a mechanic that has a friend that works for Chrysler Dodge and Jeep and they put there machines on my car and they couldn't find out what was going on with it as well and there's no code that was given they said I needed to change my starter and something else I cant remember the part but that was another $200 and its still not fixed now they say it has to be my PCM witch is another 1,500 that I don't have. I didn't expect to put all this money out to fix this car and it not getting fixed because Chrysler doesn't know what's wrong with the 04 Pacifica but I'm sure its the PCM just like the 05 and 06 models.

- Sanford , FL, USA

Jun 132014

Pacifica 6-cyl

I bought the car Feb 6th 2014 from a buy here pay here. After I bought the car I noticed that the vehicles gas light would move on its own from half a tank to empty while driving also my lights would flicker and engine would make a humming noise also after getting on and off the freeway, hittiing the gas pedal car did not want to accelerate and would sputter. On June 13 2014 my vehicle was putting while going 35mph and just shut off on me while driving with my son in the car.

- Columbus , OH, USA

Feb 242011

Pacifica

Have a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica I've had this truck for two years, I've always had a problem with the gas running out like water. I took my truck to Chrysler for them to do a tune up, while there I told them about the problem. When I got back to pick upmy truck they told me that both of my fuel pumps were bad. It seems like they know what's wrong with these trucks and they just decided to tell everyone their fuel pumps are bad. Anyway, I had the fuel pumps changed and the problem got worse. Now if I put $10 in it the gauge will read 1/2 tank. If I fill it up once it gets to 1/2 tank it'll just drop to the E. once it reads E it cuts off. There could be a full tank of gas but it will still read E. I took it back to Chrysler so many times they couldn't find anything wrong. The last time I went back up there, they said I need to replacethe whole tank. I know for a fact that replacing the tank won't fix it. To add to that, while I'm pumping gas the gas foams or it kicks back. I refuse to keep paying my money for them to keep playing the guessing game. If my truck shuts down completely or cause an accident I'm suing Chrysler and everyone else!!! Chrysler needs to fix the issue, there is a defect. I even called headquarters and they're saying they can't help because the truck is so many years old, and because of the mileage. Thing is they knew what was wrong with these trucks. Chrysler needs to fix this issue! !!!!!

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Oct 192013

Pacifica

The computer that controls everything including the headlights failed causing all my headlights to go out and blow during night time driving, resulting in a crash.!!!!! this is just as bad as a cars brakes totally failing and should be a recall on these ECU/ECM computers on Chrysler immediately as the dealer wants to charge $1000 to fix!!! I see hundreds of people reporting the same problem and there are law suits also from this failure!

- Harwinton, CT, USA

Sep 192013

Pacifica

I have almost been in four accidents in the past week and a half due to my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica stalling in the middle of intersections and roads without warning. As I accelerate the car starts to hesitate, sputter and then just dies out. The last time it did this in the middle of a busy road with cars going by at 50mph, I had two good samaritans and two police officers that were nearby help me to safety where I had to have the vehicle towed back to my home where it sits today. The first time it happened the check engine light came on, it said bad crankshaft sensor, so I replaced it. The second time it happened it said bad camshaft, so I replaced it. The third time it happened it said bad camshaft sensor again, so I replaced thinking I bought a defective one. This did not work either as the car ended up stalling for good two days ago. I know there have been recalls in the past for this exact stalling condition of the engine, but Chrysler says my car did not show up as one of the recalled ones. I find this very concerning that this dangerous condition would not be covered by Chrysler when they know it has been an issue on thousands of other similar Pacificas.

- Broomfield, CO, USA

May 182011

Pacifica 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while starting the vehicle, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 97,000....updated 10-21-13 the consumer stated the battery went dead. When the battery was replaced, the air bag light illuminated.

- Columbus , OH, USA

Jul 012013

Pacifica

Four months after replacing a rear motor mount. It failed again. This time it cause the other two motor mounts to fail which melted wires leading to the failure of the car's power control module. This resulted in a loss of speedometer, other electrical functions, and the loss of three ignition coils. It was brought to a dealer who fixed the PCM, and later discovered that all motor mounts need replacing. He had no explanation why a motor mount would have failed four months after they were inspected to be safe, and when one was brand new. The cost requested by the dealer for repair totals more than $2,500.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA