CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2004 Chrysler Pacifica electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica:

2004 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jun 252013

Pacifica 6-cyl

I bought this 2004 Pacifica from a dealer about a month ago. Took it to the shop to get my shocks looked at and they told me they wouldn't do any work on it because the sub frame was rotted so badly they advised me not to drive or put any money into the vehicle because it is a safety issue. Also there is clicking coming from the steering wheel when you turn left or right. And also a week after I purchased the vehicle the blower motor resister is bad.

- University Hts., OH, USA

Apr 212013

Pacifica 6-cyl

The vehicle was being driven when suddenly smoke starts coming from the engine compartment pulled over to check under the hood and flames began coming out closed the hood and the vehicle just burned down to the ground called 911 firefighter came and put out the fire it was all so fast its unreal.

- Reading, PA, USA

Dec 032012

Pacifica 6-cyl

I have had tons of mechanical issues with this vehicle and replaced 2 alternators within a couple months of each other, one was replaced about 3 weeks ago. I was driving in a school zone to drop my daughter off and the car just shut down. I have had to replace the starter, battery, alternators (2), and items with the tires and suspension. This car makes loud clinking noises and coming to a stop you can hear a loud knock sound. Chrysler needs to be required to fix vehicles instead of saying they can't find anything wrong with them.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Oct 022012

Pacifica 6-cyl

The windshield wipers and electrical systems failed during a mild rain. We got the vehicle to a Chrysler dealer and contracted for them to put it on the lift. We've learned that the main wiring harnesses on many 2004 Pacificas - such as ours - have collected water for years due to their design on the 2004 Pacifica, and have completely corroded. This substantially compromised our safety, as we exited the road having lost windshield wipers, all electrical, etc., we attempted to use the horn which also was no longer working.

- Manchester, MA, USA

Jul 052007

Pacifica 6-cyl

07/05/07 customer reported blower motor noisy, Chrysler checked and found blower motor noisy and replaced the blower motor. Cost to customer $179. On 08/11/10 blower motor noisy on high speeds, Chrysler removed and replaced the blower motor. Cost to customer $256. On 07/05/12 customer experiencing same problem with noisy blower motor. Will need to take vehicle to dealer to have blower motor replaced again.

- Sharon Hill, PA, USA

Aug 022011

Pacifica

Starting in 2011 my Pacifica's electrical systems seem to be shutting down. First I lost the ability to open windows or use power locks on the passenger side. Next I lost the cruise control function. Now my check engine light appears intermittently. Most recently the air bag light and alarm comes on but only intermittently.

- Kitchener Ontario Canada, DC, USA

Dec 122011

Pacifica 6-cyl

On numerous occasions I will be driving my car and it will just stall out completely. I have no control over my car. There is no inclination that it is even going to happen. I have almost wrecked my car. At higher speeds my car jerks and stutters and will randomly shut off too. I will be stopping to make a right or left turn and my car will stall out and I have almost wrecked my car with my four children in the car!!!!!!! I see there is a recall on some Chrysler Pacifica's for this exact problem, but for some reason it is not on mine and it is a major issue!!! I am very concerned with my family's safety when driving my car.

- Titusville, PA, USA

Apr 262012

Pacifica 6-cyl

A follow up to earlier safety complaint.just ordered a computer for the affected vehicle and while describing the problem to the tech was informed that it is a well known problem affecting not only my Pacifica but their town and country mini van as well.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Apr 242012

Pacifica 6-cyl

This vehicle has suffered through a wide variety of problems as outlined from online complaint boards. Today has started sudden acceleration while stopped at traffic lights almost taking me into traffic your investigation on these are closed but I never had satisfaction speaking to Chrysler officials and was informed by my dealer a couple of years ago that the vehicle was made by the ;old; company and the new company does not honor problems.what is disturbing is that a close inspection by me has revealed that the wiring harness going to the control computer was routed under the drivers side flexible motor mount and the harness has been damaged by the mount compressing this harness right on top of a bolt on the frame causing fraying of several control wires.the poor design has indeed created most of the problems with the vehicle and could cause wrecks and perhaps even deaths. Chrysler has informed me they do not accept suggestions from the public but for the safety of the citizens still driving these vehicles, I see a lot on the road, please contact them as to this problem which while not covered under their warranty should be as this flaw only shows up with mileage. The wiring harness has not been priced by me yet but if past experience is the guide Chrysler parts are significantly higher than competitors, even if the last 'genuine' part had product of South Korea right on the box. The problem is poor design.

- Knoxville , TN, USA

Apr 082012

Pacifica 6-cyl

My husband was driving and suddenly the car started smoking we pulled over, the fire fighters were called. They had to break the dashboard in order to stop the fire. They spray the car with water inside and out. Car was total. The fire fighters thought that it was possibly the wire that stared the fire. Radio and light on dashboard did not work in one point, it started working again by itself.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 012011

Pacifica 6-cyl

Dash heater control panel--lamps for several functions have ceased working--blower fan, air conditioning, circulation/recirculation, front window defrost and rear window defrost making adjustments or changes at night impossible. There is no way to change bulbs according to the manufacturer service/shop manual. Additionally, the function status (led) panel fades out leaving no information for what function is working, or what the status is, thus making changes impossible at anytime. Inability to control environment--specifically the functions concerning visibility make the vehicle a hazard to drive when the controls are inoperative or impossible to use.

- Mount Juliet, TN, USA

Jan 032011

Pacifica 6-cyl

Headlamps - the headlamps had to be replaced due to light beams not coming through the clear plastic cover. The cover became cloudy and visibility was limited which caused safety concerns. The Chrysler dealership tried to clean but was not successful. Tire sensors - a year ago, we had an issue with the message center not responding to the tires. The Chrysler dealership installed 1 tire sensor and several months later a new message center panel had to be replaced. A year later, we are replacing the other three sensors. We are told by the Chrysler dealership that the batteries only last several years. They claim that these sensors are goverment regulated. Why are we putting parts into american made cars that have to be replaced every several years that cost $100 for each sensor plus labor. Either Chrysler needs to produce a better sensor that lasts longer or the government should provide rebates since this is regulatory. These car issues should be considered a safety issue and reviewed for potential liabilities that can cause harm to the driver.

- Covington, GA, USA

Feb 012011

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that all of the gauges on the instrument panel malfunctioned. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the electronic control module was defective as a result of an electrical short. The contact mentioned that the module was replaced three times. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance and referred him to NHTSA. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 88,000 and the current mileage was 90,000.

- Round Rock , TX, USA

May 162009

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated while driving various speeds the vehicle would suddenly stall without warning. The failure occurred on an intermittent basis. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who advised her that the control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and advised her that there were no recalls. The failure mileage was approximately 109,700.

- Akron, OH, USA

Feb 222011

Pacifica

I bought my 2004 chrys. Pacifica 2 months ago from a carlot. I test drove it and it was driving really good. I paid for it and pulled off the lot and it started trying to stall on my everytime I pushed the gas it would do it then stop for about a min then start again. It would jerk as it was trying to stall I finally made it home and called the carlot and they said to take it to their car shop so on my way there I stopped at autozone and hooked it up to their computer to see what it was that was messing up. The computer "said" it was the crank sensor. So we took it to the shop and they changed the crank sensor and the motor light went off and it stopped doing it. They had it for a week and that next Friday when I got it back I drove it to pay a couple bills and it started it again it did it about 12 times until it finally stalled and would start back up but stall right away until it would not even start again. I left it in that spot and my husband come and picked me and my 3 kids up and the next day the shop said to bring it back to them and my husband went to pick it up and take it to the shop and it started right up and drove home no problem but the check engine light was still on then drove it to the shop and it done it 2 more times. The shop had it for another week and changed the crank sensor again and found out the motor mount was broke to and fixed that. I got the car back again and had it for 2 days and it started doing it again. Took it to another shop and the shop said that it could be all the wiring harness and said it would cost me 3,000!!!!!!!! to fix I can not afford that so here I am only 2 months from buying a 10,000 dollar car that I can not drive this is terrible and something needs to be done about this happening to the same kind of cars all the time I am a mother of 3 and going to school and working I need my car.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Jul 292010

Pacifica

After turning right at stop light and proceeding slowly with acceleration, a loud/shaking noise was heard from 2004 Chrysler Pacifica (similar to a cell phone placed on vibrate instead of ringing when a call is received). Within seconds, vehicle unintentionally accelerated and I was unable to stop it, even after pressing on brakes. I was a block away from where I had to turn to enter our subdivision, traveling down a two-lane road. Thankfully, no cars were traveling in opposite direction, or coming out of our subdivision, so I was able to turn left to enter our subdivision. To try to slow car down, I had to press down on brakes as hard as I could while turning the wheel, which caused the vehicle to swerve, almost hitting a light pole. After turning and stopping the swerve, the vehicle accelerated even further, reaching the '4' on the tachometer (before the turn, it had been at a '3'). as I approached the four-way stop in our subdivision, I again stepped on the brakes as hard as I could, but it had no effect. The tachometer read '4', but the speedometer showed 30 mph, regardless of how hard I pressed on brakes. I could not brake at all, and was losing the ability to steer as I approached the sign. The only way to stop the vehicle was to place it in 'park'(which made the tachometer go even higher) and remove the keys to turn off the car as quickly as I could. This stopped the car right in front of the stop sign. I waited about 30 seconds and attempted to restart car, but after ignition key was turned, tachometer revved up again to '4', though speedometer read '0'. husband maneuvered car the one block home by placing it in 'neutral'. this is the first incident of this nature. Chrysler to be notified in morning, as I called after business hours (7:41 pm cst). Myself, two kids, and two dogs were in the car driving down what is normally a busy two-lane road and into subdivision full of playing children, truly a miracle no one was injured.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Mar 262005

Pacifica 6-cyl

2004 Chrysler Pacifica. Consumer states several problems with vehicle related to the engine, air conditioner blower and alternator the consumer stated when the vehicle was first purchased, the air conditioner blower was not working properly and had to be replaced. Later that year, there was a whining sound coming from the front of the vehicle near the engine, however the dealer was unable to find the source and to this day, the noise is still present. The consumer stated there was a whining sound coming from or near the power steering pump which was eventually replaced, however the noise continued. The motor mounts, tie rods and rocker arms were replaced.

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

Feb 122010

Pacifica

Engine shuts off while driving the vehicle. Three separate occurrences, most recently on February 12,2010.

- Dighton, MA, USA

Oct 272004

Pacifica

My 2004 Chrysler Pacifica had a fire in the rear side wall on the driver's side. The car was parked and unoccupied when this happened. I contacted Chrysler and an investigator was sent. The investigator told me the "hottest part" or starting point for the fire seems to be in or around the rear of the motor for the rear wiper blades which was inside the side wall of the car. I received a form letter from Chrysler stating the report was inconclusive and they have no liability. I do not agree with their report and have requested a copy of their investigator's report which they have refused to send. The is no way this fire and damaged caused by this fire was anything other than a defect or problem with either wiring or a motor inside the side wall of the car.

- Bayonne, NJ, USA

Aug 012009

Pacifica

The blower switch is stuck on the highest mode and I am unable to turn off the blower and the blower will continue to run for about 10 seconds after engine is shut off. Thus when I start my car the blower is on high. The car is a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. Has there been any reports from other owners with this issue? the dealer, jolly john in saco Maine, says they will need to remove my dashboard to determine what is causing this and will cost approximately, at least $1,000.

- Saco, ME, USA