CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2004 Chrysler Pacifica electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica:

2004 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Nov 232008

Pacifica

Car will not start on first try on a normal basis. Have changed battery and starter. Car also stalls. When it does start after about 30 tries or 30 min I have to put my foot on the gas pedal to keep it started. I have gone to many sites on line by typing in starting and stalling problems on line. There are many people having this problem and no one seems to know what the problem is. People along with myself are spending a great deal of money to try to fix this problem. Chrysler has to know what this problem is with all these cars having the same problems but they don't seem to care about our problems and the money that we are loosing every month. I fear that I am going to be stranded with my children because my car won't start or stalls. I just want to know what is wrong with this car. I know if they tell everyone what is wrong with this car they will have to fix the thousands of peoples cars that are in need of repair and that big company does not want to do that for the little people of the country who trusted them. They have received billions of dollars in tax payer money and they should come clean and fix these cars or at least tell us what is wrong so that we can fix them for good. Please help all of us. I am a single mother and can not afford to try so many different things that are not the problem. I ask again. Please help us.

- Greenville, NC, USA

May 272009

Pacifica 6-cyl

2004 Chrysler Pacifica has a problem with the motor mounts. Consumer states the mounts have been on back order since Dec. 2008. The consumer stated a noise was heard when gong over bumps in the road. The anti-lock wheel sensor was bad, the tire light illuminated, the lower control arms and front sway bar were replaced. The motor mounts were leaking oil. The instrument cluster was not working and the egr valve was replaced.

- Delmar, NY, USA

Sep 232008

Pacifica

I have a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica and it has major problems with starting. I have been in very remote placing and the car will not start. After about 15 to 20 attempts the car may turn over. I have changed the battery and the starter as well with not improvements. I have read numerous accounts of others having this problem and Chrysler will not do anything about it. This car is not safe or reliable.

- Greenville, NC, USA

Dec 192008

Pacifica

On Dec 19, 2008 my 2004 Pacifica started stalling when driving home from work, it did this approximately (20) times in rush hour traffic. I would put it in neutral and some times it would start up immediately and sometimes it would delay by several minutes. I drove the car to my mechanics; which was closed, and left it there, the next day it would not act up for him and he ran a diagnostic that showed him nothing. Although he did find a recall on the PCM needing reprogrammed for stalling issues. We then took it to shuman Chrysler in walled lake, mi. And dropped it off. They replaced the solenoid and confirmed that the reprogramming was done prior to this problem. Cost was $237.50. On christmas eve on a busy road the car stalled out again, and took several attempts before it kept running. Here we were sitting in a dead car, on one of the most widely known evenings with drunks on the road. We proceeded to our destination and at the end of the evening we had someone follow us home with my elderly mother in their car. We took it back to the dealership on the 26th and they replaced the ground to the transmission case from the battery. No charge this time. On the 27th the car stalled again 3 times on us, we got to our destination and disconnected the battery to reboot the computer and it worked until Dec 30th, when the dealership picked it up from the location where it would not start, right before the tow truck started loading it; it started and quit again. It has been at the dealership ever since. Today January 7, 2009 the dealership called and will be ordering a new PCM, and a power distribution module. It was explained to me that the module is responsible for not starting and the PCM is responsible for the stalling or the shorting out. The cost will be $1200. I will call them tomorrow and ask for the parts to be saved. I am not done with this. Countless reports have been tracked and the reprogramming did not fix the Chrysler problem, and neither will they.

- White Lake, MI, USA

Mar 112006

Pacifica

This vehicle has had the siphoning hoses to the gas tank replaced three times. Which all three failed all three times. The fuel pump has been changed. The whole fuel tank has been replaced. The gas gauge fluctuates from half tank to empty. The check engine light comes on every week. After resetting by the serviceman it comes back on with in a week. All of these safety defects have been repaired however it remains doing all of the above leaving this vehicle to be very unsafe. Please note this so that any others may have this to refer to.

- Galva, KS, USA

Jul 142008

Pacifica

1. driving home from work, 6 pm heading East on hwy 119 waiting to turn left on wc rd 3.5. ting, ting sound, warning lights came on and vehicle caught on fire. Put out with hose and disconnected battery. Alternator was glowing orange, engine harness smoking, ground straps burned off, and air cleaner on fire. Towed to Chrysler dealer and Chrysler said it was not a mechanical defect, but I disagree. The consequence is I have a damaged car.

- Longmont, CO, USA

Mar 112008

Pacifica 6-cyl

I recently purchased a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. In the past 3 months, most of the electrical system has started malfunctioning. The air vents have "stuck" where air will only blow through the dash vents keeping the defrost vents from working which makes it unusable to drive in rain or cold weather. The dash displays and lights have stopped working totally. The fuel gauge will suddenly swing from the correct position to either full or empty, then go back to normal after a couple of minutes. The headlights work intermittently and go off with no notice. We are currently unable to drive the vehicle at night, during rain and whenever the temperature gets below about 50 degrees. It has also started intermittently shutting off during driving at any speed. This vehicle is now totally unsafe. I have taken it to 5 different dealers to be looked at. One replaced a computer module, which did nothing. Another replaced an electronic module for the headlights, which again did nothing. Two couldn't figure it out after each having the vehicle at least 1 week each. The fifth said that the entire electrical system (wiring harnesses, computers and modules) would have to be replaced at a cost of over $4000! he stated that the electronics on the early model Pacificas is known to start shorting out by the dealers and that they "piece meal" it together by replacing part after part until most or all of it is replaced. From the ODI site I see that this seems to be a continuing wide spread problem with the early Pacificas and wonder why Chrysler can continue to ignore this problem. Paying quite a bit of money for a vehicle and being unable to use it because you don't want someone to get hurt or killed seems like a big enough issue that Chrysler would be ordered to recall and fix this issue. I would trade the car in but no dealer will touch it now. One offered me $500 for the same vehicle he sold me a year ago for $14,000.

- Winchester, KY, USA

Nov 212004

Pacifica 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle began to shake and made a thumping sound. The vehicle also tends to pull to the right. The vehicle was diagnosed by the dealer, but the failure continues. The current mileage was 51,200 and failure mileage was 6,000. Updated 6/16/08 the left rear seatbelt would not retract, the outer tie rod ends, the blower motor and resistor were replaced because the vehicle didn't have any heat, the battery was stalling. The heated seat were not working. Updated 06/16/08

- Orland Park, IL, USA

Dec 152007

Pacifica

The car leaks in heavy rain and snow. From the sunroof and the sides of both front passenger doors, the water comes out through the side impact air bags and electrical panels. This somehow also causes the car battery to die.

- Princeton, NJ, USA

Nov 132007

Pacifica 4-cyl

My car has completely shut off on me on 4 different occasions. The first time the dealership said it was a fuel line problem and cleaned the fuel line system. The second time the problem happened, leaving me stranded on the side of the road again, the dealership changed a sensor. The 3rd time, same scenario, the dealership told me that they 2nd occasion the "computer" gave them a fault, but the first time it didn't so they fixed what they "thought" the problem could be. On the 3rd occasion, they told me that when the 2nd event happened it gave them a fault that could have meant that one of two sensors had gone bad. They said that if the car was under warranty they would have just replaced both sensors. Since the car was out of warranty, they just replaced the one "that usually goes bad." So on my 3rd trip to the dealership, they replaced the second sensor and of course I had to pay for the labor again. The parts themselves cost $20 each and if asked the first time if I wanted to replace both sensors like they would for a warranty repair, I would certainly had agreed. My 4th event happened 4 weeks ago. My car is still at dealership I type this. They say they have no idea what is wrong with the car, but that they can tear the car apart and check out the wiring and if that's the problem, it will cost $6000 to fix. Just to diagnosis the problem I have to pay a minimum of $240 which they tell me may not diagnosis the problem at all. I feel that this vehicle is a huge safety hazard. It only has 30,000 miles on it and has given me nothing but trouble since I purchased it as the second owner on February 28, 2007. The car just shuts off while driving each time leaving me stranded with my 2 young children where ever we are. Each time I have had to wait for a tow truck to arrive to take us to safety. I hope that others have this same complaint and that Chrysler will do something to make this right.

- Erie, MI, USA

Jul 102007

Pacifica 6-cyl

Incident occurred four times over last two days. Driving on urban divided highway at approximately 55 mph at steady speed on a flat, relatively straight section of highway, fuel gauge began fluctuating. Fluctuations of the needle swung from the current fuel state of just over indicated half tank of fuel to the completely empty indication. Low fuel warning light illuminated when needle fell below the critical point for illumination. Other swings of the needle ranged from current state to anything below the current state and returned to proper indication. No fuel was lost. No leaks. N each incident, after approximately three minutes of erroneous readings, the fuel gauge returned to normal indications.

- Mount Juliet, TN, USA

Dec 162006

Pacifica

- the contact stated that the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica had stalling problems. She stated that 2 months ago while driving at 55 mph she looked down at the dashboard and noticed that entire dashboard display failed. The power steering locked, and she tried to pull the vehicle over to the side of the road. The vehicle lost power. She called warwick Chrysler Jeep dealership, and was informed that this would have to happen again, and that the engine light has to come on in order for them to do anything. The contact drove the vehicle for about 2 months and nothing happened, but she did notice that when starting the vehicle the dashboard lights were very dim, the gps lights were dim also. While driving on 02/07/07 at 55 mph the vehicle stalled on the highway again. She stated that the entire dash, the gps, the steering cut completely off. She sta she had a satellite radio plugged into the hot plug, that was directly connected to the battery and that didn't shut off. The contact took the vehicle to warwick, and they informed her that they needed to update the computer which cost them $140. The contact stated that she found on the internet a service bulletin for the same problem. The contact found recalls 06V432000 & 04V113000 for 2004-2006 vehicles. The current mileage was 68111, and the failure mileage was 62500.

- Salisbury Mill, NY, USA

Dec 292006

Pacifica 6-cyl

- the contact stated that he purchased his 2004 Chrysler Pacifica and two weeks later, the vehicle stalled frequently. The contact stated while driving 25-35 mph the engine will shut off. To restart the vehicle the contact had to put the vehicle in neutral; however there have been occasions when the vehicle would not restart. The dealer is unable to diagnose the failure.

- Parker, PA, USA

Jan 202007

Pacifica 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. My wife and kids were at the store went in for five minutes came back out and the car would not start. By the way it was about 10 degrees out at the time. Thank god there was someone around to jump start the car. My wife finally got to where she was going and shut the car down and tried to start it immediately after and it would not start it would just click. Thirty minutes later she went out the car started. All weekend the car would start then the next time it would not. This has happened too many times to us we do not know if we are going to make where we need to go or not. This has happened ten to fifteen times to this vehicle.

- Parker, PA, USA

Oct 092006

Pacifica 6-cyl

- the contact has a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the clock display turns off, the gas gauge needle floats up and down, and electrical equipment would go dim. The contact stated that the gas gauge registers the fuel as low when the gas tank is almost full and that a rear interior light goes on. Also, the dvd player switches songs as if it were searching for radio stations. The child safety locks for her windows only work occasionally. The heater doesn't always turn on, but when it does it cannot be adjusted unless the power to the vehicle is turned off. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled twice while she was driving 55 mph with an odometer reading of 58000 miles. During one of the stalling incidents she was trying to change lanes, but the car would not accelerate, so she pulled over onto the median where the car turned off. The contact was able to restart the vehicle and resume driving.

- Hampton, GA, USA

Jun 212006

Pacifica 6-cyl

The Chrysler Pacifica 2004 is an extremely dangerous vehicle. The car stalled three times on me on the highway where I nearly got into an accident. Another time, the right axle came off and the car rolled down a hill and nearly hit a woman. I could have killed people many times with the Pacifica since it is an extremely dangerous vehicle to drive. I found out that many people have these exact same issues. Please do something about it before it gets too late. Thank you.

- New York City, NY, USA

Oct 272006

Pacifica 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica and I have been experiencing starting/stalling problems with it. The problems started within 9 months of my purchase date. Each time the dealership wasn't able to re-create. I had the battery replaced but I am still having the problem. It is now at the dealership after being towed because it wouldn't start and of course they can't duplicate the problem. I have logged a complaint on the carspace.com. I asked my service manager if he was aware of the starting/stalling problem with the Pacifica and he told me no. Please help me.

- Fairview Heights, IL, USA

Sep 162006

Pacifica

Car stalls for no apparent reason.

- Clarksville, MD, USA

Sep 062006

Pacifica 6-cyl

2004 Chrysler Pacifica--repeated service issues including gas tank, gas cap/vapor lock, electrical.

- Cumberland, MD, USA

Aug 262006

Pacifica 8-cyl

Driving road speed, the 2004 Pacifica with gauge reading "150 miles to empty" stalls and the gauge read "38 miles to empty". cannot restart but upon adding 2.5 gal of gas, started again. Stalling occurred at least 5X within a week. Dealer installed solenoid 8059043 and body control module (BCM) but did not correct the problem.

- Marietta, GA, USA