9.2

$3,988.00

1. replace engine (38 reports)
  2. new engine (9 reports)
  4. rebuilt the engine (6 reports)
  5. needs new motor (5 reports)
  6. dump vehicle (3 reports)
2002 Chrysler Sebring engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chrysler Sebring:

2002 Chrysler Sebring Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Aug 242009

Sebring

do not by a chrysler vehicle I have had to replace struts and tyerods often and now the engine is bad and it is going to cost me 6400 dollars to replace it Not going to happen any time soon I will never agin own another vehicle made by chrysler

- , McMechen, WV, USA

Nov 262007

Sebring LX 2.7L

OMG!!! I bought my car in 2003, I paid it off 2007. On Monday 26 November 2007 my car starts knocking real bad. So I pulled to the side of the road. Not realizing what the problem was I continue to drive home. As I approach a light my car shut off on me without any notification. I did not have any lights on warning me of any damages. Gratefully I am in the military and when your pulled over everyone seems to stop and asks if you need assistance. Finding the problem was easy for mechanics, my motor was DEAD. Just to be on the safe side I had two expert mechanics come out at different times to give me their opinion. I also even took it to the shop. I have to pay over $5,000 to repair the engine. The back thing is I get my maintenance done on the car every three months, I get it serviced when I'm supposed to. Why didn't anyone find this before it happened? The mechanics talk about oil sludge in my engine which caused my rod in my motor to go bad. This is crazy. I will never, ever buy another CHRYSLER. I called the dealership to find out there is nothing they can do for me. This is pathetic.

- , Watertown, NY, USA

Jul 242009

Sebring LX 2.7L V6

NIGHTMARE....I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START!!! I was financing my car and loved it. I kept up with my car and gave it all the TLC it needed AND OIL CHANGES INCLUDED, but it didn't need much. As time went by I paid off my car in about 18 months(paid off early) and I was so happy!!! Give or take 3 months later my oil light started coming on and off. I thought of it as being a bad sensor or something, nothing more. Boy was I wrong. Then on my way to work my car shut off, but it cranked back up. My goal was to take it to the shop when I got a day off, but I never made it. My car started making a terrible noise and running hot. I parked it in my yard and haven't touched it since. Now I'm riding around using my Expedition which is killing me on gas. My mechanic said it's a $1,200 job but can get higher because I need a new engine. I don't think my car would get fixed anytime soon or might not get fixed at all....I'M VERY ANGRY AT CHYSLER FOR CONTINUING TO MAKE THESE CARS WHEN THEY KNEW THIS WOULD OF BEEN A PROBLEM!!! I WANT TO SUE THEM IF IT IS POSSIBLE!!!

- , North Charleston, SC, USA

Jul 082009

click to see larger images

oil sludge resulting in engine failure oil sludge resulting in engine failure oil sludge resulting in engine failure oil sludge resulting in engine failure oil sludge resulting in engine failure

It should have came with a warning label caution change oil every 2500 miles or buy a better built car made by someone else because this peace of s... is not worth s... or by the way Thanks sure do appreciate it Chrysler the worst part is i have no money to fix it!

- , Independence, Missouri, USA

Feb 102009

Sebring 2.7L

I have owned many Chrysler products in the past, if Chrysler were proactive and looking to the future they would admit the problem and fix it. But as it stands not they would rather take the low road and duck the complaints. Chrysler----good luck in getting me to buy another car from you. THIS IS WHY AMERICAN CAR COMPANIES ARE GOING UNDER----NO ACCOUNTABILITY!

- , Dallas, PA, USA

May 012009

Sebring Convertible 2.7L V6

it started out with the oil pressure light coming on because the sludge built up in the engine was slowing the oil flow in the oil pump causing the light to flicker and flash and sometimes stay on when coming to a stop because all of the oil would go to the front of the pan and the pump was not pumping fast enough therefore the return hose was sucking up air and causing the light to come on.

it was all downhill within weeks from there.

i have always used the best oils and the best filters and always changed the oil EVERY 3000.

- , Bedford, PA, USA

May 032009

Sebring ALL 2.7L

The problem here is NOT lack of oil changes, that is a CORPORATE COP-OUT !!! The REAL problem is in the COOLING SYSTEM !! The coolant goes low-flow OR NO-FLOW for no apparent reason. The engine runs just below or at overheat temps which causes the oil to break down resulting in the sludge. Due to the LOCATION of the temp sender the gauge will SHOW normal temp although its overheating until its WAY TOO LATE to save the engine. The same result can be demonstrated on the stovetop with a frying pan and Crisco: overheat the pan and the Crisco turns to goo!! Change the water pump,thermostat and radiator and you would STILL get the same problems and the same oil sludge. Chrysler Corp. is covering a design flaw which will cost BILLIONS to fix by blaming the owner for lack of maintenance. BTW I am a mechanic and have 16 years under my belt, customer replaced engine AGAINST advice all new parts STILL has SAME basic problem: will not run under 217 degrees NO MATTER WHAT. Result will be engine failure... AGAIN

Update from May 26, 2009: update:

The problem is NOT lack of oil changes!! While the oil change IS important it is NOT the cause of the sludge and failure of the engine!! The sludge is the excuse Chrysler has adopted to cover the real problem in the design which would cost BILLIONS to recall. The REAL PROBLEM lies in the COOLING SYSTEM: the coolant goes LOW-FLOW or NO-FLOW for NO APPARENT REASON. The temp. sender is MISPLACED and will show normal temp even though the engine is running too HOT. Instead of running at about 190-195 as it should the actual temp is between 215-230, JUST below overheat at ALL times. This breaks down the oil and causes it to sludge up the engine. You can change the oil every 1000 miles and the end result WILL sludge anyway!

This can be demonstrated on the stove with a frying pan and Crisco: OVERHEAT the pan the Crisco WILL turn to goo!!! Replace the radiator, water pump, thermostat and coolant you will STILL get the SAME RESULT, the engine WILL sludge and eventually WILL fail. DONT BUY into the "Its your fault for not changing the oil" CORPORATE COP-OUT!!!

If yours still runs GET RID OF IT!! If it doesn't you may get $1000 or more at a LATE MODEL junkyard IF the body is CLEAN. Do NOT buy ANYTHING with a Chrysler 2.7L they are ALL time bombs. FYI I am a 16 year mechanic and give the SAME advice to my customers. I no longer advise repair/replacement of these engines after failure because its just a matter of time(bomb).

- , Arvada, CO, USA

Nov 162007

Sebring LXI 2.7L

Add me to the list on this issue!! Chrysler take responsibility?! Hell no! Toyota did when they had the issue (a design flaw leading to the premature build-up of sludge) Honda did. Hmmm....could this be why people aren't buying American cars? It's not just that they do fail, but WHEN they do, the manufacturers deny any responsibility and refuse to honor warranties. As far as my situation- this is what I faced:

The engine started ticking, then a little bit louder tapping, so I drove it in to a gas station and he knew immediately- my engine was done. He knew so quickly, that I went for a second opinion, same thing. So I needed to replace the engine- really great news when you're unemployed. Not having $3,000 to do that, and seeing that others were selling at the time for $8,000-11,000 (LXI, all options, moon roof, etc), I'm thinking that, minus the $3,000 engine, that still left $5,000-8,000 of value in the car (retail). I considered trying to sell it- even as is for $3,000- I placed one ad and a guy called and told me I was nuts. So I went to a dealer, figured I'd trade it in- again, Kelly BB trade amount, minus $3,000 (which they could fix for less- with their mechanics), but it doesn't work that way- they just dump the cars at auctions- they couldn't, and wouldn't, be bothered fixing it.

So the bottom line was, no matter what the remaining value of my car was- if it didn't have a working engine- they would give me $0! So I would actually lose the entire value of the car, not just the engine, if I didn't keep it. If I kept it- I had to fix it- $3,000!!! Well, luckily, I HAD, had excellent credit over the years, before becoming unemployed, and had built up very high credit limits, with no balances- so I had space on my credit cards. (This all happened just over a year ago- those cards, that great credit...they're maxed out, shut off, credit ruined. What took 25 years to earn- gone in a year and a half!)

So the really comforting news is- the engine has been replaced and now....., I have no money and no credit any more either, to get a new car and I'M SITTING ON THE SAME LEMON OF AN ENGINE!!!! A TICKING TIME BOMB THAT ALSO MAY BLOW AT ANY TIME!!!!!

(When this happened a year ago, I registered complaints at a few sites- NTSB I think was one and a LEMON LAW one- I think Ralph Nader's group, and looked for a class action- and only found one started, but in another state. But I was contacted a couple months ago by a lawyer in my state- MA- and he started a case. Basically, I don't expect anything of it, and even if anything happened I know these things usually take years- but what the Heck, if he's up for it- why shouldn't I try and get my $3,000 back! Maybe they'll do the right thing and take responsibility like the other companies did.)

- , Weymouth, MA, USA

Nov 032008

Sebring LXI 2.7L

wow... where to start... i had the car 1 year did all maintenance regularly.. changed oil, kept good tires on car and so forth. all was great with me and my lil convertible so i thought. Check engine light came on and airbag light so i took the car to the shop for a diagnostic.. i bought the car July 2007 and in July 2008 is when my problems started i guess. The shop said nothing wrong.. probably just a loose gas cap blah blah blah or an electrical issue no need to worry. ok cool. Im driving around 1 day and the car just dies all of the sudden, what in the world. it starts right back up. To make a long story short, Im out and about and the car seems to start to act funny as im driving, it makes a loud noise and is barely moving anyway as i pull into a gas station i raise up the hood and smoke and liquid coming from under car clearway liquid. I already knew... water pump.. arrghhh so the car gets towed to the shop and i need a new water pump, a seal crank, a tensioner, a gasket omygoddd $292.00is what i owed All is good 2 weeks later i get my car back from the shop. I think im good. boy was i wrong I was driving on my way to vote while making a left turn on a green light might i add the car died again. I am scared of this car at this moment, it is possessed. so thankfully i make it home. now the fun part, after a late night out with friends im on my way home at a stoplight and the car died at stoplight but this time doesnt start again even with jumper cables. The car gets towed to the shop again. I get a cfall 2 days later from the shop man. He tells me my engine is locked up and doesnt know if warranty covers it until they take engine apart to see what caused engine to fail. So what choice do i have i tell him go ahead take it apart it needs fixed. When they took it apart whatta ya know... ENGINE SLUDGE and i need to provide oil change receipts since i have had the car which i dont keep receipts like that i didnt know u had to, i have never had a car with a failed engine, so warranty wont pay a dime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still owe money on this car so i go ahead and pay for a new engine. The car stayed in the shop from november till Feb 13th. Now i finally get the car paid for get the car back and feb 17th check engine light came on while i was driving to work o my gosh does this ever end... i call the shop and say guess what check engine light on so i drop the car off another diagnostic says busted hose by gas tank which im getting a discount on since i have had soo much work done this car has a brand new engine with 100000 mile warranty probably if i keep my oil change receipts so i better do that but if anything else goes wrong i am not fixing it I am done with All chrysler products

- , Springfield, Missouri, USA

Jan 312007

Sebring LXI 2.7L V6

when i first found out the problem, i started looking for repair solutions. this motor is a very expensive piece of junk. why would i want to spend so much money on a replacement that is more than likely going to have a major failure again! Everywhere I looked to find a replacement they told me it was a very popular failure. Why does Chrysler not honor such a big problem. It turns out anything I hear about the engine is very poor.

- , Hamilton, Ohio, USA

Dec 112008

Sebring Limited 2.7L

engine should have been recalled this really sucks Chrysler should be sued

- , Clayton, NJ, USA

Nov 252008

Sebring Limited 2.7L

I have had issues with my Sebring since I have owned it, mainly oil pan gasket, leaks, hoses, fairly minor repairs to be quite honest. I change my oil and do preventative maintenance often-my son is a mechanic. I am completely done with Chrysler after this last fiasco! The water pump gave out, not only was it a pain and major disassembly to get to, but once there we found the engine was covered in sludge! This sludge caused the engine to cease, and now I need a new engine. What should have been a minor repair has created a catastrophic issue-I need a new car! I only drove the car maybe a block when the temperature light came on and it started to over heat. Thank goodness I was just pulling into work and was not stranded in the middle of nowhere (which is where I was a few days earlier-road trip). I would imagine there is a lawsuit out there regarding this common issue. Can anyone direct me? Needless to say I will never ever purchase a Chrysler again-EVER!

- , Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jul 082008

Sebring LX Convertible V6

click to see larger images

First time I had a problem car overheated in July 2007; had engine checked was told everything was a-ok, not a problem ma'am. I was driving home from work and almost home it just died at a stop sign. Sat for a while, waited for engine to cool down enough to get it going again, limped it home (2 miles) and then had it checked. Nothing found wrong, no reason for the overheat. I had previously had the oil changed every 3k-4k miles but I'm horrible at keeping records so don't have proof. Then car overheated again in July of 2008. Took it to mechanic who said waterpump was failed and needed to be replaced. When replacing had to partially take engine apart when sludge buildup was found. Mechanic said it looked like a 20 year old car with no maintenance, but he is the one who has been doing the changes for the past 18 months so knows that's not true. He can't provide records prior to his changes tho so don't have complete records to show Chrysler. Sounds like it wouldn't matter anyway. Long story short, 2 weeks w/o car (I live in the country 25 miles from work) and $750 later, I have a pos car that I can't put any more money into but it still doesn't run right, owe $4k on, and it's worth about $2k if that. Wonderful job, Chrysler! NO I won't be buying any Chrysler vehicle ever again in my life!

- , Sheridan, IN, USA

Aug 252008

Sebring LX 2.7L

Complete Engine Failure due to Oil Sludge. Problem occurred after spending $1200 on a Fuel Pump. Engine light was on and never ran properly after repair. Told by Dealer not to worry it was only oil sludge due to the car not having regular oil changes (at 3,000 miles, even though the manual states 7,500 miles). Cost of new engine at $5,000 to $6,000.

- , St. Petersburgh, FL, USA

Nov 092006

Sebring GTC V6

My car died on way to school. I had regular maintenance with oil and such. Chrysler said didn't change oil and result engine failure. I knew couldn't be. So i got on computer. Talked to my mechanic, and he talked to other mechanics. With their information and information from computer saw it was getting to be a common problem. They are a huge corporation trying to hide a manufacturers mistake. The engine gets so hot that it ruins the oil and my car as early as 50,000 miles.

- , Phila, PA, USA

Feb 102008

Sebring LX` 2.7L V6

I have a 2002 Chrysler Sebring that I have to continue to pay for and I am a single mother. Had I been informed that this engine problem is a common failure I would have never invested the little money we can spare on a car that is guaranteed to fail you. I am now stuck making a monthly payment to a car that will cost over 6,000 dollars to repair and what do you know I don't have 6,000 dollars laying around. I was told by a mechanic that this is a well known problem with this model and the company was well aware of it. I can't believe we have companies so devious that they know there parts are defective and are willing to take advantage of people. Well that just goes to show you how people really are. Needless to say I am in a complete bind because we cannot afford another car and the one I am paying for is stuck in my garage. The company cares nothing about its consumers and does not take responsibly to make things right.

- , Lockhart, TX, USA

May 302008

Sebring 2.7L V6

Add me to the list. Bought this POS car in August and still owe money on it. I have some motorhead friends who need the money so they can put in a new engine, but do the replacement engines have the same problem? Also keep up the complaining! A few years back we all did the same thing about the fuel pump on the Ford Focus...it took a year and a complaint to the BBB but I got my money back :)

- , Darien, NY, USA

May 042008

Sebring 2.7L V6

Like all the others, I'm enraged that this is a documented problem and they still sell the car knowing it will fail. 3 months prior the water pump went to the tune of $900.

- , South Portland, ME, USA

Mar 172008

Sebring LXI 2.7L V6

The fact that Chrysler knows about the engine sludge problem (a result of poor oil circulation) with the 2.7L V6 and has done nothing about it is ridiculous. There should be a class action suite organized against Chrysler to force them to fix these engines. Anyone know a lawyer willing to take this on, I'm sure we would all sign up.

- , Rapid City, SD, USA

Jan 022008

Sebring Limited 2.7L

So I'm driving south on IH 35, just past Texas' capitol, Austin. Even though it's kinda cold the top is down. Life is good. My dark blue with blue interior vert limited is looking good. Steve Miller's "Livin in the USA" is just ending when all goes silent.. All that is, except for the wind from the passing 18 wheelers. After coasting to the edge the auto is allowed to cool. A quick check of the fluids reveal nothing amiss. The auto restarts, so off we go... for another 10 minutos. The engine again stops, but this time I hear what sounds like a rod knocking noise. So, I have it towed to my dad's garage. Good thing I have a spare truck. Several weeks pass. During a visit to my local credit union a man sits next to me. Not just any one, this guy looks just like santa claus! So we talk. I share my auto dilemma. He states his auto shop can re-build the engine for $1,500. to $1,700. max. What was I supposed to do?! I mean, if you can't trust santa?! Long to short, his shop has no on-site re-building equipment (it barely has two porta lifts) and he offers to replace the engine for maybe a good deal of $4 to 5,000. So this week I'm going to have it towed to mi casa, with the motor out and search for a decent place to take my beautiful auto. The rant is this: Santa aside, every Chrysler parts person I spoke with over the phone made almost the same observation about the engine. "Oh yeah, those motors have had a problem with sludge.Too bad it's not covered." AARGGH! Anyways, long to short

- , San Antonio, TX, USA