9.2

$3,988.00

1. replace engine (38 reports)
  2. new engine (9 reports)
  4. rebuilt the engine (6 reports)
  5. needs new motor (5 reports)
  6. dump vehicle (3 reports)
2002 Chrysler Sebring engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chrysler Sebring:

2002 Chrysler Sebring Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Oct 122013

Sebring Limited 2.7L

- , Purcellville, VA, USA

Nov 122012

Sebring Limited 2.7L

We are the original owners of this car. Took it in for service all the time. Oil changes, air filters, tune ups you name it. We were very good about servicing this car. Out of the blue it blows up. The car was out of town so now we have to go to the local dealership and get it 'fixed'. How can we have sludge build up when we have had this car serviced? This was not due to lack of attention on our part. This is a manufacturer defect.

110,633 miles. Dumped the car!! Now the engine has died again. Done! Sludge part II. We decided to dump the car at this point. We are just throwing good money after bad. Hope this sludge problem results in a lawsuit. Chrysler should pay.

- , Purcellville, VA, USA

May 092013

Sebring Convertible Limited 2.7L V6

click to see larger images

oil sludge resulting in engine failure oil sludge resulting in engine failure oil sludge resulting in engine failure oil sludge resulting in engine failure oil sludge resulting in engine failure oil sludge resulting in engine failure

I purchased this car used on 4/18/2013. It was running great until 3 weeks later when the engine seized while pulling into a driveway. I had full knowledge of the engine and oil sludge issues after doing research online but I fell in love with the car. Against all my friend's and family's advice to not buy the car, I bought it anyway because it was running great and thought it was worth the risk. I was completely wrong, of course. Since I want to keep the car, I decided to have the engine replaced with a remanufactured engine of the same kind instead of a used engine with 58k miles which would most likely have the same oil sludge problems. While they were replacing the engine, they also came across qyite a few other problems and things that needed to be replaced including 3 motor mounts, a faulty and leaking transmission module, upper and lower ball joints and controller arms, front struts, faulty window motors, intermittent wiring shorts mainly in the dash, the airbag light is on, and there's a leak somewhere in the top that's allowing water to get into the trunk. I only had them replace the engine, motor mounts, transmission module and lower ball joints and controller arms. The other repairs will have to wait for a while as I've now spent $11,600 (purchase price of $5400 + repair costs). So it definitely has been a frustrating and costly car purchase and I can say with absolute certainty that I will never purchase another Chrysler product. I couldn't believe how horrible the oil sludge issue was inside the engine once they opened it up (see included pictures). The car was owned by only 1 other person before me and since I don't have any way of knowing how often they did their oil changes, it's hard to blame it all on the design flaws of this engine. Based on how many people have reported this same issue though, I would have to believe that it's most likely the fault of a poorly designed engine by Chrysler. Since having the new engine installed, everything seems to be working great, but only time will tell. To try to prevent this issue from recurring, I have decided to use only synthetic oil. From what I've read and heard, synthetic works much better and should not cause the same oil sludge problems. Based on other information online, Chrysler hasn't accepted responsibility for this faulty engine, but if they are reading this review, I would love to be compensated for all the costs involved in replacing it. I understand that on a car that's 11 years old, most of the other repairs it needs are from normal wear and tear and age, but the engine shouldn't have failed after only 109k miles. Buyer beware: If you're interested in buying a used Chrysler Sebring from this era, make sure you have at least $5000-$7000 extra for all the repairs it will need.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 142013

Sebring Limited 2.7L V6

In April 2011, we purchased a 2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible Limited Edition (with 2.7 engine) from a privite owner. In January 2013 it was towed to Napleton Chrysler dealership in Kissimmee. They still have our vehicle. We had purchased an extended warranty from Gold Key for $2695.00 which is still in effect, but they will not cover the engine due to the sludge build up. This car was only used for leisure and we put less than 3,000 miles since we have owned it. Also, we had the oil changed using synthetic. My husband is on disability and we can not afford to pay for an engine replacement. Unfortunately, I think we will have to junk the car.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 032012

Sebring LXI 2.7L V6

I purchased this vehicle 6/5/2012 from Jake Sweeney Smart Mart in Cincinnati OH. I had all sorts of problems with this vehicle. For instance I had to replace the left front control arm, the right rear brake line, the airbag clock spring and now the whole dam engine. The engine cost $3000 plus I still owed $4000 for the car. I am so disappointed with Jake Sweeney. I already reported them to the BBB.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Dec 152011

Sebring SLX 2.7L V6

On my way back to work from a Dental Appointment, just had 4 fillings drilled, and my car starts to make this awful knocking sound. I notice it as it grows strong and stronger. Not a single warning light is coming on at all. I am forced to stop at a stoplight when the engine cuts off. Luckily I was close to home and am able to walk there. My boss picks me up so that I can return to work. Not sure how I am going to pay for the new parts but I am hoping to get this fixed soon.

- , Columbia City, IN, USA

Dec 022011

Sebring 2.7L V6

oil light came on and stayed on. Mechanic said need to replace oil pump, water pump, tensioner, and timing chain. I hope it works. Should have stuck to Honda.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Sep 272011

Sebring

engine died due to oil sludge, however, we kept in good maintenance intervals

- , Ellisville, MO, USA

Apr 142011

Sebring LXI 2.7L

i was driving heard something blow / backfire /smoke out tail pipe......looked under hood and a quarter of each valve cover was blown off !!! could be ...jumped timing / heads need reworking /bent valve and at worst need a engine !!! all chrysler Sebrings 2002 models are obviously defected there should be an engine recall on them !! chrysler should do that out of respect knowing there's an problem with theses cars i hadn't even put the car title in my name hadn't had it two weeks not sure if its worth fixing or crushing ????

- , Mosspoint, MS, USA

Jun 022005

Sebring

Vehicle was towed to Geweke where in Lodi, CA. Service manager said engine was run dry on oil no warranty honored. Could not afford repair had vehicle taken by flatbed to Tracy, CA. Unloading the flatbed was covered in the oil that had leaked out on the trip. Not dry.

- , Tracy, CA, USA

Dec 152010

Sebring 2.7L V6

My Chrysler Nightmare....I bought this car in July, thought I got a great considering the car only had 93,000 miles. First the car started leaking, I had the water pump replaced for $800. A few months later the car started leaking again!!! Took it to a mechanic and he replaced the thermostat housing $300!!! Now It is early January and the car is making an extreme ticking noise. I took it to a mechanic and he thinks the timing belt needs replaced. I currently unemployed and used last years tax return to purchase this car and couldn't be in a worse spot. This is not right chrysler needs to make this right, sounds like everyone is having the exact same problem, oh and I always change my oil on time.

- , Saline, MI, USA

Sep 242010

Sebring 2.7L

timing chain.......heads........rods........why is this really happening

- , Apple Valley, MN, USA

Sep 092010

Sebring Limited 2.7L V6

I'm just in tears over my engine failure. No money to replace the engine or rebuild it. Don't know what to do.

- , De Forest, WI, USA

Aug 252010

Sebring LX 2.7L V6

Really loud noises, after my car stopped by her own, restart and the next day my engine stop fonctionning. my timing belt broke, my engine too

- , Montreal, Quebec, Canada

May 262010

Sebring LXI 2.7L V6

Well, first of all, my English isn't good, still working on it. But for real, I want to tell everyone that Chrysler really suck. Basically am tired of fixing my Chys 2002 2.7 Convertible every month. The water pump. engine, sensors, coolant, and Today The Mechanic toll me that my car is not working because it looks like I need to replace the timing belt. Also, he say that happened because of the oil and because the car was overheating, after all the motor is f*ck up almost completely. Well anyways am living by myself and I feel like sh*t because I pay 14 thousand dollars so at the end the car is worth less than 2 thousand.. I Hate Chrysler now... I wish they could fix it to make me happy x the 1st time. but to bad for me. :(

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Mar 152010

Sebring LX 2.7L V6

click to see larger images

I bought my 2002 Chrysler Sebring car at an auction, but I did not know the engine was no good. I found out it was no good after and had to replace the engine in 2007 because the oil pump was blown. it cost me $2,700 for a used engine plus I had to pay $800 to get it put in the car.

My big grief in now the engine blew again in January, 2010 and again it is because of the oil pump blew. It seems like this happens after 87,000 miles. I want Chrysler to replace the engine. While I was looking for a rebuilt engine everyone said the same thing. The 2002 Chrysler Sebring 2.7 liter engine has an oil pump problem.

I need Chrysler to own up to this problem and do something about it. This time I was told it woud cost me about $4,300 for a rebuild engine. plus another $800 to get it put in the car. No way I think it is time Chrysler step in. The car is in good condition so I do not want to dump it. I will not get much if I try to see it with a busted engine.

- , Suwanee, GA, USA

Jan 142009

Sebring LXI

We rented this car on our honeymoon and thought it would be a great reminder of what a great time we had so we bought it not knowing what we just got ourselves into, its been a nightmare all we have had to fix, the engine giving out being #1 IT WAS SOOO expensive to fix this stupid car just to worry about WHEN its going to happen again thank God i wasn't on the freeway when the thing just stopped completely it just shut off and i could barely turn the steering wheel. Found out its a defect in the engine design, which took forever to fix. MY HUSBAND AND I WILL NEVER BUY CHRYSLER AGAIN!!!

- , Conneaut, Ohio, USA

Sep 012009

Sebring 2.7L V6

Well first of all I'd like to thank you all for posting your complaints about the chrysler sebring and I agree 100% I'm currently being held hostage by my sebring that currently has 69,000 miles on it and the only good thing is that I have an extended warrenty. If you don't have one and don't have alot of money try to get rid of it asap it's a money pit. problem & solution (oil sludge) don't use regular motor oil if you do have regular motor oil in you car drain it and flush the engine to get rid of the sludge and put synthetic oil in it, it will cost alittle bit more but it will save your engine. I had the same problem with the oil light flashing because of the sludge. Synthetic oil did the trick and make sure that you antifreeze coolent gets changed regularly. Unfortunately we have to be smarter than the car maker and the car.

I saved my sebring by reading all your complaints and solutions on site it was very helpful. number one rule to go by if you own a sebring, if you here any weard noises don't run the car and tow it to the shop. I just got my sebring serviced again this week after getting a new computer installed at the beginning of the year because of transmission shifting problems and for some reason it sprung 3 fluid leaks oil pan gasket, drain plug, coolent housing, timing chain/water pump cover oh sorry that's 4 leaks. Unbeliveable I could only laugh now I'm tired of getting mad and what really gets me is that the service labor coat is more than the cost of the parts.

I wish I had read all your complaint before I had bought my chrysler sebring I would have bought something else more reliable and dependable. Like I said try to stay on top of your maintaince service and have a qualified mechnic do the work, save your service records. These little helpful hints really saved my car and wallet from certain death.

- , North Hollywood, California, USA

Aug 112009

Sebring LXI 2.7L V6

When I purchased this car, it was for my wife as a reminder of the rental car Chrysler Convertible we drove in Hawaii for our 25th Anniversary in June of 2009. We drove the car for 5 or 6 days and took it to our mechanic because of a noise in the engine and he quoted me a price to send the engine to be checked out and cleaned up a bit. He told me it would be over $3000.00 to completely rebuild the engine (not including my mechanic's charge to remove and reinstall the engine) because oil sludge had completely destroyed the engine. My original quote was $1300.00 to $1500.00 depending on what all needed done to the inside of the engine at the shop.

The shop said that it looked like the engine had 150,000 miles on it.

- , Huntington, WV, USA

Aug 032009

Sebring 2.7L

We service the car like we where suppost to and still owe $5000.00 and it will cost that much to repair or replace the engine so we make payments for a car that sits in the driveway oh with full coverage.

- , Auburn, CA, USA