CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

2004 Dodge Durango seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Feb 112015

Durango 8-cyl

I was notified of an airbag recall on my vehicle approximately 2 weeks ago but the letter indicated I could not call to schedule maintance prior to 2/23. I started calling first thing that Monday. All 6 dealerships I contacted either take my info and say they will call me back or say they don't have any parts to correct the issue and I should check back in a couple of weeks. I have received no return phone calls from the ones that said they will get back with me. My only option is to continue driving a possible death trap for no telling how long. Not to mention there's been that possibility for the last 11 years. This is ridiculous and unacceptable.

- Spring, TX, USA

Feb 242015

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V770000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Feb 242015

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number 14V770000 (air bags)however the parts needed to do the repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact did not experience the failure.

- Leonardtown, MD, USA

Nov 102014

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V770000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Feb 092015

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V770000 (air bags) however, the parts needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Inverness, FL, USA

Feb 152014

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number:14V354000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Saint Augustine , FL, USA

Sep 022014

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated the service horn erroneously activated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the air bag wiring harness and air bag would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 108,866.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Sep 022014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The horn started going off on my 2004 Dodge Durango. We pulled the fuse for the horn and replaced it that did not fix the problem. We then took it in to griffin hub Dodge and Chrysler dealership. I was told at one point that the relay for the airbags was bad. Then the second time that I called I was told the wiring for the air bake was bad. I will be taking it to a different dealership to see if I get the same answer. However if the wiring to the airbag is bad that is a safety issue not a wear and tear issue and should be covered under a recall.

- Milwaukee , WI, USA

Aug 182014

Durango

The air bag light for both the passenger and driver side of the vehicle come on and off during driving.

- Sedro Woolley, WA, USA

Jan 072014

Durango 8-cyl

We involved in a roll over we where hit from rear and rolled over a couple times and no air bags deployed oe even when front end hit the wall that we went up before rolling over.

- Clinton Township , MI, USA

Mar 252013

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Any and all times the battery cables are removed from the battery for routine maintenance on a 2004 Dodge Durango, the airbag light illuminates after reconnection of the battery. The airbag system becomes inoperative and must be recalibrated by a dealer at a cost in excess of $100. This is the 2nd time this has occurred.

- Chadds Ford, PA, USA

Aug 142012

Durango

I have owned my 2004 Durango for three years and love this truck. Unfortunately, the passenger airbag light and instrument panel light keep coming on and off at will. The clockspring is not broken because the radio and cruise control still work while the light is illuminated. As someone else mentioned, the light will go off if you move the wires under the passenger seat. I have read several posts about the seat weights, control module, low battery voltage, clockspring and ECU as possible culprits. The car has also had two recent accidents prior to the lights appearance and the airbags did not deploy either time? my auto body shop and insurance company found this very strange. This manufacturing defect is very dangerous and Dodge has had this problem with several earlier model Durango and recalled them for defective airbag repair. Durango owners need to keep posting complaints to demand action be taken immediately!

- Hull, MA, USA

Jan 292010

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I do not know what happened this feels like this dream. One day my truck is running great and then bam oil every where. One day I started my truck up after about two weeks of letting it sit in the drive way and it had a ticking noise so I immediately turned it off. I called a mechanic he checked it and said it was a sticky lifter.I then called Dodge to get professional advice because my mechanic is not a certified Dodge mechanic. A service adviser at Dodge dealership on rt 112 in medford and he told me that if the problem started while the truck was sitting, to just start the truck and let it run for a while. So I did and maybe five minutes of it being on and ticking I heard a noise and saw oil on the ground. Now what do I do.........I have a hole in the engine block and a fully paid piece of junk. I have records of all my regular oil changes this truck was my baby I took great care of it, I loved it and its dead. I'm not the only one with this truck and this problem when will Dodge own up to its responsibility and recall the 5.7 motor.it breaks my heart every morning walking by my 2004 Dodge Durango to start up my old beat up 97 Nissan pathfinder with 246K its sad to say that this rusted old piece of junk gives me no problems with its motor or transmission, but my new truck crapped out at 116,000 cars not are suppose to die after 100K especially heavy duty trucks. I never even got the opportunity to carry a load or tow something. Dodge made it seem like this was something that was suppose to happen because the truck has 100K...that makes no sense to me and I wish I would have done more research on this truck. But right now I just pray that Dodge helps me out with this problem. This is my family vehicle that I invested hard earned cash into and now it is just sitting in my driveway rotting away. Can someone please help?

- Patchogue, NY, USA

Oct 112011

Durango

At 93000 miles wheel indicator light stays on replaced tire at normal time to change, but light does not go out. Also having other inside problems, engine is making bad noises, wipers don't work half the time, air conditioner not blowing cool air even having it filled with freeon, center panel over heats. Air bag light come on and off while driving with no one else in truck.

- Elmore, AL, USA

Oct 152010

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 262010

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. While driving at 70 mph, the driver's side air bag independently deployed. The contact was unable to see the road due to the air bag blocking her line of vision. The vehicle proceeded across the median where a semi-truck crashed into the contact's vehicle. The contact sustained severe injuries, as well as two other passengers. A police report was available. The vehicle was towed from the scene by the contact's insurance company. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer advised they were not liable for the air bag independently deploying because it was caused by an undercarriage failure. The failure and current mileage was 110,000.

- Elgin, TX, USA

Oct 152008

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Dodge Durango SUV, model slt 4WD 4.7 8 cylinder engine needs a new clock spring to meet Massachusetts inspection requirements after vehicle accident. Auto body shop located in andover MA (woodsworth motors). Cannot find replacement for clock spring after almost 3 weeks of effort. Please advise asap for potential source, new or used. Have been w/O an vehicle, except for relatives loan vehicle--auto body shop still searching for part. Please respond asap!

- Andover, MA, USA

Jan 012001

Durango

I along with hundreds of other people have a vehicle with the airbag light on. I am not sure why Dodge hasn't issued a recall on whatever component is causing this problem. I think because the airbag is a "life saving" device, they should be made to issue a recall immediately. I hope you guys can find a solution to this potentially deadly problem. There are hundreds of complaints in dozens of forums about this particular vehicle.

- Hopewell, VA, USA

Dec 182007

Durango 4WD 6-cyl

I hit a telephone pole with the frond end of my Dodge Durango, and my air bag never depolyed.

- Sheldon, VT, USA

Aug 162004

Durango 8-cyl

I hydroplained off the road, and hit a telephone pole at about 60 mph. I smashed the driver side fender into the motor, and broke the frame. Also, I broke both seats in the front back.the Dodge investigator totaled it. I asked Dodge what the were going to do, they said that I had to hit the pole directly in the front. I guess the front fender isn't front enough, or breaking the frame in the front isn't enough. The seats broke back and my seatbelt didn't keep me in my seat, I ended up in the back. I am still having problems with my broken wrist, L and my shoulder. The hood is smashed against the windshield, the front bumper tore off.

- Mankato, MN, USA