CarComplaints.com Notes: The third generation Durango is plagued by a defective TIPM, particularily in the 2011 and 2012 model years.

TIPM, which stands for Totally Integrated Power Modules, is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when your TIPM goes haywire, bad things start happening. Things like your water pump can stop working, your engine can stall out and your airbags can randomly deploy.

2011 Dodge Durango electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Durango:

2011 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 10 of 16)

Sep 152014

Durango 8-cyl

My 2011 Dodge Durango stopped starting with the push button start. It happened the first time when my wife was bringing home our 5 kids from school and daycare. My wife was able to manually start the vehicle with taking off the push to start button and starting it with the key. However, this only works 80% of the time. We took it to a Dodge dealer and they found it is the tipm(totally integrated power module). This is the part that is effected in the upcoming recall that starts on the 24th. My vehicle build date is 4/21/2011 which is right in the middle of the vehicles effected.

- Jackson, MI, USA

Sep 022014

Durango

On September 2, 2014 apprx 8:15am after dropping off my two oldest children at school, myself and my 3 year old daughter went to the gas station. After puting gas, our 2011 Dodge Durango failed to start. After over 1 hour of attempts to start the vehicle, I finally accepted the situation and called for a tow truck. After getting my vehicle and (most importantly) my daughter home safely, I was able to contact a well known mechanic to help assess the problem. The mechanic I consulted is one of the top mechanics who works for the city of los angeles, servicing all the commercial vehicles for the department of sanitation. After examining my vehicle and towing it closer to his place of business he later identified to problem as being the electrical/engine part known as the "totally integrated power module" (tipm). Flash forward one month and we have now paid $1,000 to replace the defective part.

- Sylmar, CA, USA

Jun 012014

Durango 8-cyl

Our vehicle had it's first non-start in June 2014. It has continued on for months, at random intervals. Our Durango now won't start by using the push start or by using the key in the ignition. I am seeing a trend online of tipm issues and class action suits. I am assuming this is our issue. It is currently at the dealership.

- Jackson, MI, USA

Aug 012014

Durango 6-cyl

As of today October 6th, 2014 I am unable to drive my 2011 Dodge Durango. Since the beginning of August it has not wanted to start. It will crank like it wants to but nothing. The fuel pump will continue to run even after the car has shut off, draining my battery completely. Last week I was driving down the road at 40 mph and the car completely shut off. I lost all power, steering and breaking ability. Once I coasted to the side of the road the car would not start! it took me a good 10 minutes to get it running. Then it would idle very low and not want to move. This is my primary family vehicle and I will not put my family in this car. I would hate to be on the highway and lose all power with them in the car. Thankfully it was just me the other day. What angers me even more is that I am paying for a vehicle that is completely unsafe to drive and will leave you stranded. I have been told that the "recall" is not in effect and the dealer who services my car has not even heard of the recall. They did call me back and say they can't do anything till Oct 24th, and even then the parts could be on back order for months. Very unhappy with the way this is being handled!

- Saranac Lake, NY, USA

Aug 012014

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While operating the vehicle at various speeds, all the instrument panel indicators illuminated and the odometer stopped operating. While driving various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly decelerate without warning. The dealer stated that the tipm was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 152014

Durango 8-cyl

The 2011 Dodge Durango started having issues with failed starts. It would take multiple instances to get vehicle to start. Sometimes the the fuel pump would continue to pump even though engine was stopped. This causes a very smoky burning smell coming from exhaust and engine. Took car to dealership and they report the issue is a faulty tipm module. The part is on back order but vehicle is unsafe due to potential issues with stalling while running. Repairs estimated at $1200.

- Mcgehee , AR, USA

Jul 172011

Durango

First incident the electrical components on dashboard where going haywire like if the truck was possessed. Windshield wipers where on and would not turn off. Truck would not move out of park when I pulled over. After about 5 mins it moved out of park but could not drive over 45 mph because truck would not shift into second gear, and all electrical is still going haywire! then in August of 2014 truck started to have problems again starting, then finally about 2 weeks ago I was taking my kids to school, it was still having problems starting I finally got it to start and stay on and was driving down the road with my four children and the truck just lost all power in the engine and shut off. I had to roll over to the right to get out of traffic. This happened while I was driving! after that the truck would struggle to start still and about 30seconds later would just lose all power again. So I had to have it towed to dealership, and was told it was the relay to fuel pump. But I think it's the tipm that is bad.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Sep 052014

Durango 8-cyl

Vehicle was purchased on 9/1/14 and began exhibiting problems in first five days. 9/3/14, the car did not start on the first push of button, but started on the second attempt. On 9/5/14, the car was running and in park, I attempted to put the car in gear (drive) and it began shaking side to side. The car did not move when I pushed the accelerator. I put it back in park and hit the stop button and the engine turned off. It started on the next attempt. On 9/20/14, had a similar problem starting, but this time it took multiple attempts and the engine sputtered a bit and eventually shut off. I tried it again and it worked. My daughter attempted to start the car the same day and had the same issue. 9/21/14 experience the same issues with the car not starting. On 9/22/14, I drove it to work and it started fine. Upon leaving work the car failed to start on three attempts, but eventually started. When I stopped 15 minutes later the car would not start again. I placed one foot on the brake and I hit the accelerator as I started the car and it worked. I drove home and attempted to start it again to take it to the dealership, but it would not start. After several attempts it fired up, but began shaking really hard side to side. I put it in drive and the shaking was worse. I put it back in park and the car began sputtering and lurched forward as the engine shut down. I was able to start it a few minutes later and drive to the dealership. It has been at the dealership since 9/22/14 and they have not been able to fix it. I spoke with a Chrysler representative who indicated that a recall for the fuel pump relay would go into effect on 10/24/14. The dealership has asked me to take the car until the recall is in effect, despite the fact that both they and Chrysler are acknowledging the safety defect. I refuse to put my family at risk in a clearly unsafe car!

- Lakewood, WA, USA

Durango

I had problems starting my car. The engine would try to turn over, but would not start. I put the ignition on run, pumped the gas a few times and it would eventually start most of the time. Took it to my mechanic and we replaced the fuel pump. That didn't fix the problem. After researching the issue we replaced the tipm. That has so far fixed the starting issue, but now my fog lights blink when I try to use my right turn signal. This is putting me and my family at danger while driving the vehicle and not being able to use my right blinker. The dealer here has said that we need to have the tipm "flashed" in order to fix the problem. So the cost of that is an additional $125. My fear is that this will cause even more dangerous issues as I have researched and read many experiences by other 2011 Durango owners. I have read about the upcoming recall P54 to fix the fuel relay. But now that problem is fixed and there is another problem created.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Sep 282014

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start when the push button start was depressed. The failure occurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Sep 262014

Durango 8-cyl

The recall for the external fuel pump relay was announced around 09/20/14. On 09/23/14 my Durango started having trouble starting. It would take 2 or 3 tries to start but it eventually started. On 09/26/2014 it took more than 2 hours to get my car to start. I drove straight to the dealership who promptly told me they didn't know anything about the recall. I had already spoken to Chrysler customer care who said that since they didn't have the list of VIN numbers yet they couldn't do anything about it. I just spoke to the dealership who confirmed that it is indeed the part under recall but that I will have to pay $530 to get my car repaired and then ask for reimbursement when Chrysler gets around to sending out those letters at the end of October. I called Chrysler customer care again to ask how the reimbursements work. She said once they receive my claim it will take sixty days to process. So, I am going to spend the money I had saved in order to buy christmas gifts for my 3 kids on repairing a part that has already been recalled. I won't get that money back until after christmas, if I ever get it back. I'm a single mom of 3 kids and I live on a teacher's salary. This is going to hurt my family. I will never buy another Chrysler product again. Their customer service sucks.

- Missouri City, Tx, TX, USA

Sep 282014

Durango 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact indicated that the vehicle stalled on numerous occasions. The dealer stated that the tipm system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 61,000. Updated 12/9/14 updated 06/1/2015

- Katy, TX, USA

Sep 252014

Durango 6-cyl

Ignition just keeps clicking/spinning when trying to start the car. It isn't consistently starting, and the last time it did, the RPM's kept accelerating when the gas pedal wasn't being pushed on. This occurred at around 25-30 mph. I do not trust driving the car until this issue is solved.

- Austin, AR, USA

Sep 142014

Durango 8-cyl

The fuel pump started running while the car was turned off. The following morning the battery had been completely drained. The battery was replaced. In the span of two weeks following having the battery replaced, the fuel pump would run with the vehicle turned off intermittently. The car alarm would randomly go off. The vehicle would be difficult to start. It would take several attempts to get it to turn over. Took it to the dealer for service. It took a couple of days to diagnose that problems were caused by a faulty tipm. The cost to replace the tipm and reprogram it was $1350.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Durango 8-cyl

When I press the start/stop button the starter continues to turn but the car does not start. It is necessary to put the car in gear to get the starter to stop spinning. Various electrical failure notifications are displayed on the dash.

- Portsmouth, OH, USA

Sep 262014

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart after several attempts. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 74,000.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Durango

2011 Dodge Durango. Consumer writes in regards to tipm recall issues. The consumer learned there was a shortage of parts for several months.

- Homer Glen, IL, USA

Sep 112014

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled on several occasions. The contact had to make several attempts in order to restart the vehicle. The contact heard a grinding noise each time the vehicle started. The dealer did not provide a remedy. The vehicle was sold to the contact without informing the contact that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes hydraulic). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 58,000.

- Lago Vista, TX, USA

Sep 022014

Durango 6-cyl

I was driving down the road and my car stalled. Sounded like engine just shut off and then it struggled to start again and then just spontaneously started. Additionally sometimes and ever increasing my car will not start or takes several attempts. You turn the key and it tries to start you can hear it, but wont without several attempts.sometimes I will go to back out and it will go and then just stop and turn off. I thought due to my car having difficulties starting it could be my battery so I went and got that checked and he said my battery was weak so I purchased a 200 dollar battery to find out my car is still not starting. My car has stalled once on main road which is frightening with 4 kids in the car in a very busy city! not to mention when ur backing out and ur car just stops that's a safety risk too! I have heard others are having same issue and they are under a recall starting October 24th, but Chrysler told me my car isn't under a recall for it, though it is a 2011. I wanted to be sure my issue was documented since this is a safety issue and frightening when you have 4 young kids in the car with you. I hope that they wake up and widen their recall because with just over 50000 miles my car shouldn't be facing these type of issues and it is a risk to my family!

- Cornelius , NC, USA

Sep 162014

Durango 6-cyl

My wife had problems starting the Durango on Tuesday morning 9/16. My wife repeatly tried to restart the vehicle. When it would finally crank, it would sputter and die. If you tried to give it gas the accelerator would go all the way to the floor without the engine revving. After several more attempts it finally started and she was able to make it to work without any problems. As she left work the same problem occured turn the key nothing, turn the key nothing, take the key out, turn the key, it cranks and then shuts off. After going through the same routine over and over we finally got it to crank. We decided to have the car battery tested and it passed. We got a new battery for the remote but that didn't solve the problem. We finally took our Durango to the local dealership the next day 9/17 knowing they were going to charge $100 diagnostic fee. We explained the problem and even took the service man to the vehicle and it would not start. So he actually observed the issue. 2hrs later they call saying a problem could'nt be found. The test didn't produce a code. Ok, so we spent $100 dollars on a diagnostic test with no diagnosis. As we picked up the vehicle I asked the service man if they had seen this problem before and of course his answer was no. He suggested it was probably a communication problem. Well duh, something wasn't communicating. He tells us to make sure all doors, including the rear hatch are closed before starting. Not what I was expecting for $100. Well, he may have been telling the truth but I am not a mechanic and since then I have researched the problem and found many complaints regarding the faulty tipm. I ageee with others who have filed a complaint. Chrysler is aware of this problem and are refusing to take ownership. What will it take, death or a serious injury? I want my family safe. No amount of money can replace loved ones!

- Jackson, TN, USA