CarComplaints.com Notes: The third generation Durango is plagued by a defective TIPM, particularily in the 2011 and 2012 model years.

TIPM, which stands for Totally Integrated Power Modules, is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when your TIPM goes haywire, bad things start happening. Things like your water pump can stop working, your engine can stall out and your airbags can randomly deploy.

2011 Dodge Durango electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Durango:

2011 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 3 of 16)

Jun 102016

Durango

My alternator shorted out at 78K miles, the 160amp alternator has a recall P60, however the 180amp that I have is not covered. I had my kids in the car in morning rush hour traffic when it frayed the drive belt filling cabin with smoke, then lost power steering as luckily I was able to muscle the steering wheel to turn into parking lot. Shop I went to was shocked to hear a 2011 was already failing.

- Algonquin, IL, USA

May 032016

Durango

I had a battery light in the morning, but my battery was new. As I was driving my air conditioning stopped working, my radio screen flashed, went off and the entire car died while in motion, I barely stopped in time. The engine wouldn't even try, and me and my two infant children were stranded in the middle of a busy street in 100 heat. The police officer had to help us, we called a tow truck to take us home. The mechanic who looked at the car said the alternator internally grounded and fried the computer and the battery and explains the burning smell just prior to the car dying.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

May 272016

Durango

I am disappointed in how Dodge stands behind their product. A vehicle can be replaced but a life cannot. I drove my 2011 Dodge Durango crew 3.6L V-6 (102,980 miles) from my house to the dentist office (less than 2 miles). I smelled a burning smell when I pulled up at the dentist office. About 5 minutes later my daughter notice smoke coming from under the hood while we were sitting in the dentist office. I went outside and raised the hood and it was smoking. A person passing by disconnected the battery cables because he feared it would catch on fire due to the amount of smoke. I was not able to drive it so I called a tow truck. I had it towed to a repair shop and the alternator($425) was damaged. Well that also fried my battery ($162). The heat also damaged the computer ($1,000) which will not allow my new alternator to hold a charge. There was no light, noise, or any warning when the failure happened. Even after replacing the alternator and the battery it still had a burning smell. Before the mechanic would release the vehicle he test drove it. Power steering failed, wipers coming on, and engine idling up and down. That is when it was determined that the computer had been damaged. My Durango has the 220amp alternator so Dodge did not acknowledge the problem. I am upset because my children and I could have been injured. Is it going to take Dodge to do something only after someone loses their life? it was sitting and began to put off huge amounts of smoke with no warning.

- Florence, AL, USA

May 222016

Durango

Alternator suddenly failed, resulting in engine failure at 50mph, loss of power steering and brakes, and eventually total engine shut down over the course of about 800 yards. The vehicle was not covered under a similar recall as it had a higher amperage alternator, although the problem and corresponding safety issue was identical to the part that was recalled on similar vehicles.

- Oxford, MI, USA

Feb 152016

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V879000 (electrical system, interior lighting); however, the remedy was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was not provided.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Apr 272016

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving 75 mph, all the warning lights on the instrument cluster illuminated. In addition, the vehicle stalled. The contact was unable to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the alternator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the alternator and computer needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system); however, the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 123,000.

- San Perlita, TX, USA

Apr 282016

Durango

I was driving back home (city, low traffic), I had just had my 2 months old battery tested at advance auto, when my battery indicator turned on again. It had turned on yesterday for 1st time. I turned off the radio and I could hear a high pitch whining noise coming from the engine. I pulled in my driveway and the car stalled. Got out of the car and smelled something being burnt. Open up the hood and there was a lot of smoke coming out of the alternator.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Apr 182016

Durango

My vehicle push to start system sticks and the vehicle takes long attempting to start. My vehicle while driving has gone dead on me although the dash is still lite radio playing. The steering wheel stiffens and the brakes get hard. I have to struggle to pull over and stop in order to place the car back in neutral or park in order to start it again. It has stalled while in motion, while slowing down for a red light, while making a turn. I have had several near misses of other cars, curbs, and ditches. I use this car every day to Transport myself and my children. I have had this car to the dealership numerous times, have had the tipm bypass and the car still hard starts and stalls despite the recalls. I am totally disappointed with this situation that is a definite hazard. Most recent complaint, my car has be idling high and now finally it overheat and the water pump has to be replaced. I am totally disappointed.

- Frederiksted, VI, USA

Apr 142016

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. When attempting to start the vehicle, it failed to start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed. The battery was replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 93,000.

- Dyer, IN, USA

Mar 262016

Durango

Alternator failed over heating electrical wiring and causing battery and computer chip failure. The problem occurred on the road but I was able to make it to a parking lot. I did smell smoke and felt heat but there was no ignition of fire. My car was completely disabled. No electrical activity. The symptoms are the same as recall #14V634000.

- Estherville, IA, USA

Apr 042016

Durango

Momentary loss of all electrical power under normal driving condition at all speeds. Loss of all dash lights and gauges. Total loss of engine power momentarily. This causes a momentary stall. Does not last long enough to turn the engine off as the power is immediately restored. Happens several times weekly, always while in motion, has not occurred while vehicle is stopped at idle. Possible ignition or tipm fault.

- Pana, IL, USA

Mar 272015

Durango

The headliner next to the map lights cought on fire. My wife had parked it and smelled smoke. After she backed it out of the garage flames started up and a fire extinguisher was used. The fire department came and put water on it to make sure it was out.

- Powell, TN, USA

Mar 252016

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 60 mph, the battery warning indicator illuminated as a burning odor emitted inside the vehicle. An excessive amount of black smoke emitted from underneath the hood. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road. There were no flames present. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where diagnosed that the alternator would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system) however, the recall remedy part was unavailable to perform the repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72,694.

- Cameron, NC, USA

Mar 192016

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle failed to restart and was towed to the dealer. The mechanic stated that the alternator and fuse box would need to be replaced due to an electrical shortage. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Mar 082016

Durango

The alternator shorted out with 48000 miles on it. The light came on and my wife drove it 1.5 miles home. Alternator was smoking and completely shorted out/fried. While she managed to get it home this could have easily created an accident had she driven it longer. I am shocked that a failure like this can happen on a car in such a short amount of time.

- Mayfield Heights, OH, USA

Nov 272015

Durango

Local auto repair shop tested tipm and other parts and found nothing but I'm still having an issue starting my car when my vehicle sits longer than 5 hours. I am not able to afford new tipm for $1200. I understand tipm issue is pending class action settlement. I would like to Dodge dealer to provide a significant discount so that I can replace tipm of my vehicle.

- Hazel Crest, IL, USA

Feb 092016

Durango

My 2011 Dodge Durango caught fire. The roof above the passenger visor burn significantly. While driving the car the passenger said she smelled an electrical problem. Both of us have retired from the electronics field. Not realizing the severity of the electrical problem, I parked the car. We went away from the car for about ten minutes. Upon returning we open the door and entered the car. The car filled with smoke. We could hear the fire burning in the roof. We both jumped out. We flagged down some parking attendants. We opened the hood to get to the battery or fuse box. I monitored the light in the vanity mirrors and interior lights, while the attendants with book manual in hand, pulled fuses until the lights went out and the fire slowed to a stop. One note in spite of the fire burning our handicap sticker on the roof side, blistering the paint on the outside roof, and the interior roof on fire on no fuses blew! my experience is telling me that the wires involved have been drawing to much current for many years. The characteristics of the wires involved, changed with heat and time. Finally the wires got to resistive and heated to the point of ignition.

- Hillsboro, OR, USA

Feb 122016

Durango

2 different episodes of unexpected vehicle shutdown/stalling. First event was in the process of a left hand turn. Vehicle shut down partway through the turn. Lost all power steering and brakes. Struggled to keep the vehicle out of the ditch. Put the vehicle in park, and it restarted immediately, and continued home uneventfully. Approximately 2 months later, the vehicle again unexpectedly stalled at a traffic light. The light turned green, and I took my foot off the brake, and the vehicle stalled. Again, it restarted uneventfully and I continued to work. The vehicle appears to be working normally otherwise. Acceleration and fuel economy are normal, and there are no episodes of hesitation/stuttering/missing. There was no warning of the stall either time. Both episodes were approximately 5 minutes into my drive, and the vehicle should have been mostly warmed up each time, but perhaps not all the way. The "exact" moment of the stall seems to coincide with removing my foot from the brake, once to turn and once to accelerate. The Durango was taken to the dealer that same day each time, and there were no significant error codes.

- Fremont, OH, USA

Jan 282016

Durango

After having the campaign completed to remove the fuel pump relay from the tipm, my fog lights and headlights began operating sporadically, then eventually after a few weeks stopped working. If I remember correctly, this happened at dusk, when I was driving and the headlights tried to come on automatically. I tried to replace the bulbs, but that didn't help. I took the car back to the dealership and was told the headlights and fog lights weren't receiving power from the tipm, and that it needed to be replaced, at about $1,200 cost. This probably is so obviously related to the previous campaign, but I cannot get the dealership to participate in the cost. Please help!

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 032013

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, all the warning indicators illuminated and the engine stalled. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. It was unknown if the vehicle was repaired. The failure recurred several times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 118,900.

- Sacramento, CA, USA