CarComplaints.com Notes: The third generation Durango is plagued by a defective TIPM, particularily in the 2011 and 2012 model years.

TIPM, which stands for Totally Integrated Power Modules, is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when your TIPM goes haywire, bad things start happening. Things like your water pump can stop working, your engine can stall out and your airbags can randomly deploy.

2011 Dodge Durango electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Durango:

2011 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 4 of 16)

Dec 222015

Durango

Purchased new 2011 Dodge Durango in 2011, I wasl driving to work this week locally and Dec 22,2015 battery light came on. Before the light came on I was driving with kids in the card and smelled burning in car thought it was exhaust from outside traffic. Another day my mom was in the car with me going shopping and she said she smelled something burning. Battery went because alternator was bad as per the auto place the wires were burned according to autoplace alternator bad, I contacted Dodge and provided receipt copies from the auto place that the alternator was bad but they said because warranty was up at 36,000 miles they wont reimburse me and there was nothing they could do but to make a complaint to NHTSA. This needs to be recalled, I have seen over 400 complaints and safety issues, how many people do they want to get injured before they recall? dealership is no longer around. If does not get recalled I will make sure to turn this one back and never purchase from Dodge again and will contact the media to expose Dodge for putting not recalling this alternator and putting the safety of families in harms way. I hope nothing else happens, I am always in the truck with my kids and I am really nervous driving my truck now and worried if something else is going to happen when we are in the car. This should have never happened to a brand new truck. I have had used cars longer than this and never once had a problem with any issues with the cars. This is a serious matter and hope it can be taken care of immediately.

- Selden, NY, USA

Jan 082016

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 62 mph, the engine stalled with every warning light illuminated. In addition, the key failed to remove from the ignition switch. The contact attempted to jumpstart the battery from another vehicle, but the jumper cable cord burned. The vehicle was not able to restart. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or diagnosed. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000.

- Smyrna, TN, USA

Nov 272015

Durango

I was driving on a major interstate (I-70) when dashboard lights started flashing and signals started going off. Seat belt signal. Airbag signal. ABS light signal. I then lost power steering. My 12-year old was with me and scared to death as cars whizzed by at 70 mph. I luckily was at an off ramp and took it and managed to pull off the main road. Car would not turnover when I tried it again. Got towed to a dealership. Battery was replaced first. Then they hooked up the alternator to the new battery, and the alternator drained the new battery by half in a matter of seconds. And started smoking profusely. Dealership replaced the alternator, which was a 220 amp. After the alternator was replaced it was determined that the alternator blew the PCM, so I had to have the computer PCM replaced too. Dealer says there may be more issues that arise from the bad alternator. He was surprised more wires and fuses weren't melted or damaged because of how bad the alternator was. My car was not part of the recall because I have a 220 amp. But all of the symptoms they describe for the 160 amp alternator is what I experienced with my car. I am just thankful my son and I, nor anyone else, was hurt or killed in this incident. All alternators no matter what amp need to be recalled. This is a true safety hazard!

- Waverly, MO, USA

Nov 252015

Durango

My 2011 Dodge Durango alternator went out and my PCM. No warning car just shut down. You need to do a recall on all no matter the amp!!! I will never buy Dodge again!

- Cypress, TX, USA

Nov 202015

Durango

While driving on the expressway towing a trailer, family in tow my 2011 Dodge Durango battery light came on and the smell of something burning was present. 2 minutes after the light came on the car died and had to physically navigate to the breakdown lane with no power what so ever, it was dark and cars passing by at expressway speeds, I had no flashers or warning lights at all. Car was towed to my house.. it was determined that the alternator was frozen solid. I replaced it with an 160 amp alt. And a new battery because it was cooked also, the battery was hot. After replacing it and hooking up battery neg first then positive. It started and after a brief few seconds where everything appears to be normal the gremlins come out, the wipers are on with no control the air bag light is on, no display or radio, check eng light is on as is a host of other things after initial start up. I called the dealer, gave my VIN they said that it didn't fall under any recall. And a diagnostics test had to be done @ $125 just to see what is wrong.. I feel if it were my wife or daughter in the car driving they wouldn't have been strong enough to steer without any power certainly a safety complaint..... and people wonder why this country is going to hell.

- Westfield, MA, USA

Nov 052015

Durango

While driving the vehicle, I noticed a burning smell and grinding noise. I pulled over to investigate and when I raised the hood smoke was coming from the alternator. Alternator overheated causing vehicle to be undriveable. There has been several recalls on this vehicle and others but don't understand why the alternator recall isn't related to this particular vehicle. All the symptoms are the same that I ve read from vehicles that are listed in this recall.. overheating....

- Jackson, TN, USA

May 232015

Durango

My husband and I were driving home in the heavy rain. When we got home and parked we noticed a burning smell coming from the car (2011 Dodge Durango citadel). We lifted the hood to investigate where the smell was coming from and the alternator caught fire right before our eyes! since we were home and in our driveway we were able to put the fire out with our water hose almost immediately. I think the heavy rain kept it from catching fire while we were on the road! we took the car to the dealership and contacted Chrysler who told us our VIN number was not part of the alternator recall and we had to pay for a new alternator out of pocket. I've never heard of a 4 year old alternator catching fire!!! very frustrating as this is a dangerous issue and could have caused a deadly accident had this happened on the open road. Also suspicious that they have an alternator recall with the same issues we reported but our VIN number is not included! be careful if you have this car!

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 052015

Durango

Vehicle experienced failure of all electrical systems, while vehicle in motion at 45mph. I was driving on the highway and noticed my red "battery indicator" came on. I assumed it was a warning that it needed to be replaced. After approx 35 miles, the "driver's seatbelt unbuckled" warning came on (it was buckled) and that warning cycled off and on rapidly, and then other warnings to check this or that appeared. Within 30-60 seconds of that beginning, the A/C system shut down, the ABS and traction control off lights came on, the windshield wipers turned on, and then I lost the power steering as well. I was able to steer just enough to angle into a gas station and put it into park. At that point, no electrical systems were functioning, the car could not be placed back in "neutral" to move it further, and we were unable to remove the key fob. There was a faint smell, like burning rubber or similar. The vehicle was towed to our home, as it is out of warranty (111K miles) and my husband wished to investigate the issue and repair himself, if possible. He removed the battery, approximately 3 hours after the vehicle was shut off, and it was still very hot to the touch. He replaced the battery with a new one, but within 1/2 mile drive the red "battery" indicator came back on and we immediately returned home. Upon further testing with a voltmeter, he determined the issue is the alternator. We believe this alternator is faulty and dangerous, however our VIN number is not listed under the current recall (14V634000) of the 160 amp alternator (I am not sure what amp alternator I did have). My husband has opted to replace the alternator himself, rather than pay the dealership to do so, but we believe this should be investigated further as the possibility of an accident seems pretty high in this type of total electrical failure.

- Taylor, TX, USA

Oct 292015

Durango

I went to start my Durango this morning, started up, but after 10 seconds it shut down. Nothing electrical worked. Could not remove my key. Disconnected the battery-reconnected. No good. Having towed. I want to say that nothing electrical goes on no matter what I do. The power failure was complete. I shudder to think if this happened while I was driving, it could have been fatal.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Oct 272015

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled after the navigation system powered off, the windshield wipers engaged, the seat belt and battery warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the alternator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and informed the contact that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Sep 242015

Durango

The car will crank but will not start. When pressing the push to start button it turns over like its going to start but will not start. After taking it to the dealership for recall work it has the same re-occuring issue. Dodge says that it was fixed but I now have to take it to an independant repair shop to pay out of pocket for a known issue with this vehicle. This is a common problem with this make and model and should be paid for and fixed by mopar and not the customer!

- Phenix City, AL, USA

Sep 202015

Durango

I own a 2011 Dodge Durango citadel with 53,000 miles. Was leaving my house when the car started making a high pitched whine, turned around went back home, turned off the car, could smell burning when I got out of the car. Opened the hood and the alternator (220 amp) was smoking. If I would have driven any longer the alternator most likely would have caught fire and could have burnt my car to the ground.

- Westminster, CO, USA

Sep 182015

Durango

While driving on the highway the car just suddenly stopped working, electrical system started going crazy on electronic information center then all power was lost, no warning, no battery light warning.this part has already been recalled on the following year models 2011-2014, for certain models.this car is not included since it has 180 amp instead of the 160 but the same issue has happened. Recall number is chysler P60.it is already listed with the NHTSA #14V634000..the consequence on your website says if the alternator fails, the vehicle may stall without warning, increasing the risk of a crash. Please investigate and follow up, this type of failure can be very dangerous if driver doesn't have strength to physically press brake pedal and manually steer off to the side of the road since all power has shut down, and possibly a crash.

- Ridgefield, CT, USA

Jul 072015

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving 45 mph, an abnormal loud noise emitted from the vehicle and it stalled. The contact mentioned that all of the warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the alternator and the battery needed to be replaced. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The vehicle was repaired and the failure later recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Lake St Louis , MO, USA

Aug 312015

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While the vehicle was parked, smoke emitted in and around the vehicle. The smoke appeared from the rack on the driver side and flames emitted on the driver side head rack. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Tracy, CA, USA

Sep 012015

Durango 8-cyl

2011 Dodge Durango. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle recall issues. The consumer was informed the parts were not available.

- Lake Crystal, MN, USA

Oct 302014

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V530000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to do the repair was not made available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time to provide the part needed to do the repair. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle stalled and failed to restart. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Hallettsville, TX, USA

Aug 142015

Durango

Got out of my car and smelt burning wires I lifted my hood and saw smoke coming out by the alternator. Then I noticed the my battery was dead. I wound up replacing the alternator and battery. The car started and all seemed fine. Later that day my battery light came on and the dash lights all started to come on and go off. I went to the store and on my way home my lights started going off and on the dashboard started to light up again and the radio went off and came on my A/C went off and on. Then my power steering went out and my brakes failed. I almost wrecked. Thankfully I was in my neighborhood and was able to get home without incident. This car definitely has a electrical problem.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 112015

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving at 10 mph and coming to a stop, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V530000 (electrical system); however, the repair failed to remedy the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Sep 102014

Durango

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V530000 (electrical system) however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was not available.

- Lodi, NJ, USA