Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

2007 Ford Edge drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Edge:

2007 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Nov 212013

Leaked fluid overheated transfer case. No warning other than very small drip. Extended warranty will not cover damages.

- Bismarck, ND, USA

Jan 012010

Edge 6-cyl

Since January 2010 transmission slip only happens periodically about 8 to 10 times a year..since 11/2012 trembling/shudder to the engine when vehicle accelerates between 45-50mph (torque converter) or replace transmission recommended by service center on 10/16/2013. On 1/31/2013 recall service completed on my vehicle malfunction indicator lamp (mil) on with diagnostic trouble codes powertrain control module (PCM) with 1 or more damaged coil(s) on plugs.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 152013

Edge 6-cyl

When driving the transmission shift violently from 1st into 2nd gear and when I'm driving at highway speeds and have to hit the brakes suddenly then speed back up the violent shifting happens again. There is also a shutter in the transmission while driving.

- Mt Belvieu, TX, USA

Sep 122012

Edge 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph uphill, the vehicle stalled. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer, who stated that they could not diagnose to the vehicle due to a faulty trans-axle. The failure mileage was 99843. Updated 11/12/13

- Oxford, MI, USA

Feb 132013

Edge 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the shifter vibrated abnormally. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer for a diagnostic test, which determined that there was a leaking trans-axle. The vehicle was not repaired because the part needed to complete the work was on back order. The failure mileage was 99,847. Updated 11/13/13

- Oxford, MI, USA

Sep 012013

Edge 6-cyl

We started up our car on a Sunday morning, put it in reverse, backed out of our spot, and then put the vehicle in drive. Right away, we noticed the car shaking, not much power, and it was sputtering along. The check engine light was flashing as well, indicating engine misfire. The car was towed to a Ford dealership. The Ford dealership ran a diagnostic and determined that the pcu had overheated and the cylinder coils melted. They also said the pcu is no longer operable and needed to be replaced, along with the coils and plugs. Generally, engine misfire indicates a tune-up is needed; however, in this case, the car needs a brand-new computer. The dealership quoted us at 2,700 total for the repair. Furthermore, this is a known issue with the car, as determined by Ford, as it issued technical service bulletin 13-4-7, citing this model and several others as prone to this malfunction. Ford should recall this model and have the issue fixed. No recalls even though this poses a fire hazard? shocking.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Aug 242013

Edge 6-cyl

After driving approximately 20 miles at an average speed of 45 mph I exited off a very busy highway (exit 1, rte. 93N in New Hampshire). Upon slowing, I felt a skip and the car became unresponsive to my attempt to accelerate to complete the exit. An odometer error appeared on my dash along with the airbag warning light and the repair wrench symbol. If I had been traveling on the open highway in the kind of traffic I was experiencing, I probably would have been in a high speed accident. After shutting down the engine for 30 minutes, I restarted my vehicle and returned home without incident. This incident occurred without warning. To date my Edge has been very reliable. I have enjoyed the Edge's performance; but, I am very disappointed that this problem has occurred to numerous other Edge owners. I am hoping this apparent defect is resolved and a recall is initiated before someone is seriously injured.

- North Reading, MA, USA

May 212012

Edge 6-cyl

First occurrence. Turned vehicle on, shifted in drive to leave parking lot. Did not shift correctly, and felt as if it was in neutral. Turned vehicle off, and back on. It shifted fine. Took vehicle back to dealership, as we had only owned it S month and bought in April 2012. They could not find anything wrong. Over time, this has happened 10-15 more times. The computer also seems to be affected by this as well. Today 7/26/2013, I turned on the vehicle, left it start up, began to go into drive, it stalled, and a powertrain light came on. Mileage computer dash disappeared. I turned the car off. Turned it back on. When I tried to shift it, transmission was very violent. Sat in the parking lot for twenty minutes. Turned the car back on, let it run for 2minutes, put it in drive, and it was completely fine. When I drive up hill, it seems to be using a lot more power than necessary, and my rpms go all the way up to 5-6K. Looking for a shop to have the car looked at, or at the dealership.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Apr 012011

Edge 6-cyl

2007 Ford Edge. Consumer writes in regards to a defective ptu assembly in vehicle. The consumer stated the vehicle was taken to the dealer for service, for an oil leak at the ptu vent, the entire ptu assembly should have been replaced. At the time of service, the vehicle had 54,708 miles and it was still under warranty. On March 23, 2013, the vehicle was taken to the dealer and a diagnosis revealed a damaged ptu assembly.

- Mukwonago, WI, USA

Jun 142013

Edge 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. The contact stated while driving approximately 73 mph there was a slight reduction in the engine power. The vehicle began to vibrate violently. There were no warning indicators illuminated at the time of failure. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road for inspection. The vehicle was then taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The ignition coil assembly, hla engine control module and PCM were replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 84,334....updated 07-24-13 the consumer stated after the repairs were done, the vehicle continued to exhibit erratic irregular shifting, although not to the extent for which he brought the vehicle in.

- Temperance, MI, USA

Jun 182008

Edge 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. The contact stated that there was a recurring failure with the transmission. The transmission had been replaced three times within a short time frame. The vehicle was repaired by an independent mechanic all each time. The contact was not aware of what caused the recurring failure. There were no recalls for the vehicle. The failure mileage was 22,000 and the current mileage was 100,000.

- Elkhorn, WI, USA

Jun 172013

Edge 6-cyl

I have been experiencing very odd unexplainable events with my 2007 Ford Edge since fall of 2012 which has now resulted in full failure of my transmission. Beginning in the fall, my Edge started to give me warning messages on my electronic dash panel reading "tire pressure monitor fault", once put in reverse, the car would make a violent jerking motion and loud ugly sound. The message on the dash would then change to read "odb data error". the wrench and airbag icons would be lit. After shifting to drive, the car sounded as if it was in high gear, but it would refuse to accelerate to a fast speed. Once driving, the speedometer would not register speed, it would sit at 0 mph. The digital odometer failed to display anything. As I drove, the transmission would not shift or it would seem to try to shift and then the car would make the same violent jerking motion as I experienced when I put it in reverse. If I stopped, it would be difficult to get the car moving, it wouldn't want to move/accelerate. The car would also make unexpected lunging movements while driving. The car would also on occasion suddenly stop accelerating while driving, almost as if it had automatically shifted into low gear. This happened to me several times while driving on the expressway. Not safe! on Monday, June 17, 2013, my transmission failed completely. Unacceptable for a car my age! as I have begun to investigate this problem on the web, to my surprise, this problem is extensive. Ford owners have been complaining about this for years, yet Ford has failed to recognize this problem with a recall. Help! this problem is costly and potentially hazardous!!!

- Barberton, OH, USA

Nov 092012

I had pulled into my driveway, turned off my car, grabbed something from my house and then turned my car back on. I put my car into reverse and then put it in drive. My car acted like it was in neutral and would not accelerate and the engine revved. I didn't think much of it until it happened again about 3-4 weeks later after I had just pumped gas into my car. I then took it to the Ford dealership where I paid $100 for them to tell me they could not duplicate the problem and did not find anything wrong with the transmission or computer system. They said 'maybe it was a computer glitch'. since then it has happened 6 more time, one of which was on a busy street which almost caused an accident. My power train warranty will end in September and I need to have this issue resolved before in order for it to be fully covered. I have read multiple reports on NHTSA of this same issue. How can we resolve this??

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Oct 012012

Edge 6-cyl

My 2007 Ford Edge had been having what people refer to as a slipped transmission. At first it would not accelerate, and it would only go in reverse not forward. I turned it off and on twice and then it seemed to operate normally. I took it into the dealership the next day and I was first told there was no issue, then it happened again, this time it would also do a violent jerk as if I'd been rear-ended. The service dept replaced the computer chip (not sure which one but something to do with the transmission). A couple of weeks later it again failed to accelerate but this time it would not restart without a loud grinding noise. After towing it to the dealership, the transmission was completely replaced. However it has since started doing the exact same thing, bumping as if the car had been rear-ended as the car is in motion, in various circumstances. There are numerous complaints about the same issue on different forums. Please see and I have already filed a complaint with Ford customer relations but they gave the impression that I was the only person with this problem, further my complaint would be sent to Ford marketing but not engineering, which I find counterintuitive. The above forums are filled with Ford Edge owners who also feel unsafe in this vehicle. I hope if enough of us register our complaints an investigation will be initiated before there are serious injuries as a result of this faulty car.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Jan 192013

Edge 6-cyl

Ford dealer replaced ptu (power take off unit) on my AWD Ford Edge after 3 other incident of leaking oil. This ptu leaking problem has been documented previously 07-16-10 other previous oil leaking problems occurred when vehicle had 10,000, 15,000 and 20,000 miles. Safety concern is car catching fire when oil leaking. Dealer charge me $500 even though repairs should have been done during the warranty period.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Jan 142013

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. The contact stated that a burning plastic odor was emitted from under the hood area. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that the power train control module (PCM) was causing the coils that lead to the transmission to overheat and catch on fire. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileages were 115,000.

- Carnesville, GA, USA

Dec 102012

When we drove our Edge at about 40 mph it would make a growling sound, just put on new tires so thought they were the problem, decided that wasn't it, looked in the owners manual saw that it had a power transfer unit that held fluid checked that, it was empty, filled it, the noise didn't go away, it got worse. The vehicle was taken to the dealership where we bought it new. They called said the ptu was worn out needed replaced. Said it will cost over $1000. When I found the problem I did an online search and found many reports on ptu failures. In your data base I've found a great number also. Who determines what is bad enough for a recall.

- Goodland , KS, USA

Oct 282011

Edge 6-cyl

The wrench light came and I could not accelerate. I called a dealership and they told me that it was possibly a problem with transmission and that I should turn the car off and turn it on again which I did. I was able to drive it to the dealership. They replaced a sensor it approximately, 1 year after this incidence, the wrench light came on while I was driving around 55-60 mph. I stopped at a light and could not accelerate. Other cars were bearing down on me as the light turned green. Finally got the car to move and drove it home, but every light I got to it was harder to accelerate. Finally reached home, and put it in reverse, it felt like I had been rear ended by a truck. So needless to say, Ford only authorized the dealer to replace the same sensor. I will pick up my car today, they replaced the same sensor with a guarantee that it will last for 12 months or 12, 000 miles. I fear for my safety and my family while driving this vehicle.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 222012

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25-30 mph, she would hear a loud noise as the vehicle would become hesitant when trying to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis. The dealer advised that the power transfer unit failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired for the power transfer unit. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileages were approximately 62,300. The VIN was not available.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 042012

While driving at 55 slowed to 35 felt hard shift in transmission, drove for several miles, pulled into driveway, stopped put Edge into reverse and back to drive, wrench light lit up. Engine only revved no movement forward. Put vehicle in park then back to drive, engine only revved. Shut vehicle off, turned back on wrench lit was out vehicle worked normally when in drive. Took vehicle for drive not problems, on why home noticed RPM and heard engine rev high when in first and second gear. Approximately 2 months later vehicle was at 35mph slowed to turn, hard shift down wrench light lit up, engine would only rev. Took to shop got two goods for sensors however sensors showed they were fine. 3 weeks later exiting highway ramp vehicle again does shifted hard, wrench lit came on and engine revved did not move. Was able to pull car to side turn off wrench lit out and car went into drive. Went to shop again told turbine speed sensor was bad. I see they are numerous complaints about this and Ford does not see this as a problem would like to see something done about this.

- Eastpointe, MI, USA