Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

2008 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Edge:

2008 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Sep 032016

My vehicle Ford Edge model 2008, lost control as well as speed when the wrench light came to the dashboard, immediately after the airbag light lit up, I had little or no engine power to engage gear to keep up with traffic speed. My speed dropped to 40 miles or less per hour. Very dangerous situation because at that moment the odometer lighting also went off. Driving on a highway at night no one drives below 40 miles per hour, made the situation pretty grave and dangerous. The problem comes from the power train faulty sensors near the transmission need to be replaced costing over $800,00, as for the airbag I haven't received a invoice yet.

- Forest Hills, NY, USA

Aug 082016

First I was driving when my breaks started to feel like they were locking up. Come to find out it was the power break booster which cost me $504. Then 2 weeks later my car starts to do a putting feeling and come to find out 2 of the coils burnt up the power control module costing me $1058. A few months before this it was in the Ford dealership because of a leak on the fuel pump. Costing me $216. I am furious I have had to spend this in the last month. I just seen on the news that Ford has a recall on the power control module but it was not my year. I am simply asking if someone would please look into this so maybe I can get some of this money back to pay off the debt it caused me.

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Aug 082016

As everyone else, loses acceleration, shut off and it seems fine later. High RPM no power, as if it cant shift. No error lights, shaking along with sputtering when it has a load.....very dangerous as I drive major highway daily. Has been happening more frequently now

- Torrington, CT, USA

Aug 012016

My radio has a short in the hardware. Factory installed radio and it will turn off and turn back on repetitively some days, not allowing me to utilize sync. Transmission has started kicking intermittently for the past month. While driving and slowing down.

- Herrin, IL, USA

Aug 222016

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 50 mph, the odometer and air bag indicators illuminated. Also, the speedometer was at zero. The contact drove to a stop sign and rolled to side. The vehicle was coasted to a fuel station and then towed to the contact's residence. A local dealer was contacted and asked that the vehicle be brought to the shop for diagnostic testing. The contact also stated that the battery was corroded. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Cadiz, KY, USA

Jun 072016

The blinkers stop working. You do not know this until cop stops you. Upon inspection I found that the socket had melted and had that molted look to them. The light bulbs had burnt out. This needs to be looked into since it is a potential fire hazard. Here is another complaint in your records reagarding the same issue- crash:no fire:no number of injuries:0 number of deaths:0 manufacturer: Ford Motor Company vehicle identification no. (VIN): 2fmdk38C48B... summary: Rear turn light sockets burn up with no warning light to display that your rear lights no longer work. You do not know until the police pulls you over to tell you which can result in fines. I had to pay to replace both rear light sockets (approx. $150)

- Commerce Twshp, MI, USA

Jul 182016

When I was driving to work all of a sudden my airbag and wrench light came on and I have no speedometer or tachometer reading. If I pulled over and starting driving again I had very little pickup even though the rpms were over 2,000. There is also a very loud clunk when you put it in drive or reverse.

- Menasha, WI, USA

Jun 242016

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 70 mph, the instrument panel illuminated and the speedometer fluctuated down to zero. The contact maneuvered the vehicle to the side of the road and restarted it after ten minutes. The contact stated that an abnormal sound emitted from the transmission area after the vehicle was restarted. The vehicle was shifted into the drive position and operated normally. The failure recurred several times in the past year. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

Jun 102016

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle began to jerk and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the ignition coil exploded and damaged the PCM. Multiple coils and the PCM needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 84,781.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

May 302016

After driving for a while (roughly a few hours) the Edge does this hard jerk forward that feels like I'm practically being rear ended. It's like a hard pause, before it jerks forward. Then it gradually accelerates. Also, on a few occasions, while pulling out of a parking lot, the Edge did not want to accelerate though I was pressing on the gas. Mind you, I wasn't going fast because I had barely pulled out of the parking stall when this occurred. It barely accelerated then gradually came to a complete stop while in drive. This has also happened while I was exiting the freeway once. I initially thought my battery was the problem, but I had it replaced the following morning. I took it to the dealership and I was told nothing was wrong with it. This was the same response I got when I've taken it to Ford during the term of my warranty. I have noticed that if the "check engine light" isn't on, nor if you're not paid out of pocket, Ford does not recognize a problem. This problem is quite worrisome considering I'd hate to be stranded with my children in an intersection. I live in a very town (los angeles county) where traffic is steady and aggressive so knowing this problem can happen anytime is unsettling, especially because I have been rear ended once for not being able to proceed with traffic at a green light. 2008 Ford Edge, purchase in 2012

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Jun 042016

Ac problems quit cooling.

- Springdale, AR, USA

May 082016

Drivers side rear turn signal bulb melted the socket from excessive heat.

- Troy, IL, USA

Oct 142015

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While driving at any speed, the vehicle would lose power and acceleration, and jerk in addition, the air bag and tire pressure lights illuminated, the odometer gauge failed to provide the actual reading, and error code (odo) indicated a data error with no mileage. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who could not replicate the failure. The dealer diagnosed that the code output shaft sensor circuit and the output shaft sensor (no signal P0722) sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The tsso sensor was replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,276.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Apr 062016

I have had to constantly replace the bulb for the driver side light enclosure. The bulb blows out shortly after replacing. Most recently it was changed on April 4th and blew out April 6th

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Apr 072016

Same complaints as plenty of others. Driving on the freeway at 65 mph and the dashboard lights up with error*, the little screwdriver light came on, shows low tire pressure, the seatbelt/airbag light came on and the odometer stayed at zero. I couldn't accelerate and when I parked it, restarted it and tried to change gears it shook the car so hard and was so loud it could be heard inside the building. Something is terribly wrong with this model / year of vehicle and nothing is being done about it. This is the second time it has happened to my car. The first time it reset itself so the dealership couldn't find anything wrong with it. So now if I pay to have it towed to a shop and it resets itself before they can figure out what the problem is, which is looks as if nobody can figure it out, then its wasted money on a tow and a huge risk that this happening again. This is extremely dangerous and I'm in shock to see how many other people have experienced this and nothing has been done. As soon as I typed in "odo error" in google it auto filled my exact car - I didn't even have to type it, so even google knows this is a major malfunction.

- Pacific, WA, USA

Mar 302016

Same complaint as dozens of other 2008 Ford Edge owners. Odo error comes up, almost all warning lights come on, tach and speedometer go to zero and car is stuck in gear making is almost impossible to accelerate from a stop. This has happened several times but is starting to happen more frequently and usually on the highway. This is clearly a dangerous defect that Ford needs to address asap before people are seriously injured.

- Leesburg, FL, USA

Mar 082016

Bought my 2008 Edge in 2012 and experienced issues with odo read error message and loss of power shortly there after. It happens most frequently on the freeway at higher rates of speed (60- 70 mph). I have had to pull off the freeway multiple times and restart the car. Have heard from a few that the sensors in the transmission are shorting out but have heard other things as well. Dealers refuses to look into problem and states since light is not on that they cannot read the code. This is dangerous as the vehicle is hard to keep speed and gain speed once this light comes on.

- Reynoldsburg, OH, USA

Mar 232016

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled and lost power. A wrench icon illuminated on the dashboard. The contact placed the gear in park and shut off the engine. The vehicle later restarted. The contact called a local dealer who requested that the vehicle be brought in for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and transferred the contact to NHTSA. The failure was not diagnosed. The failure mileage was 117,700.

- Buchanan, TN, USA

Feb 012016

Back hatch door ajar light is on even when closed. The door will not lock and the interior lights stay on for a long time as a result.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 012015

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled independently. The accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to operate. The contact had to jiggle the gear for the vehicle to operate normally. The failure recurred four times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the cause of the failure was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Raleigh, NC, USA