CarComplaints.com Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

2008 Ford Edge engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Edge:

2008 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 112016

Edge

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a loss of engine power. The vehicle could not be driven over 1,000 rpms. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the front axle on the passenger side was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle could not be repaired. Prior to the failure, the vehicle experienced the same failure and the front axle on the passenger side was replaced. The technician stated that the manufacturer would no longer build parts for the 2008 Ford Edge. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 86,000.

- Terra Alta, WV, USA

Oct 082016

Edge

I purchased this car within the past month from a used car dealership with 78,000 miles on it. This past weekend, I was pulling into a parking lot and the engine shut off while trying to park my car. Luckily there wasn't any traffic behind me but if this would have happened while cars were behind me, I probably would have gotten into a severe accident.

- Avenel, NJ, USA

Oct 022016

Edge

Driving at I275 to St petersburg, at 60mph the car made a loud noise from the engine and reduced gears abruptly, it felt like a hard braking from the engine, very hard. The RPM went skyrocket, the car lost power and wouldn't go over 45mph or it would do the same again. It looked like it was on a very low gear, as it was at 40mph doing almost 4000rpm... I stopped at a gas station, turned it of and let it sit for about 20 minutes. When I tried to go back rome, after 2 miles it did the same, it lost power. I drove back to the gas station and had it towed home.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 192016

Edge

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While attempting to start the vehicle, it failed to start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the ignition coil, power control module, and catalytic converter failed and would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 117,000...updated 11/21/16

- Matamoras, PA, USA

Aug 272016

Edge

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The contact mentioned that the accelerator pedal had to be depressed aggressively for the vehicle to move forward. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed nor repaired. The technician stated that the throttle body may have failed and may need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 128,000. The VIN was not available.

- Flat Rock, NC, USA

Aug 082016

Edge

As everyone else, loses acceleration, shut off and it seems fine later. High RPM no power, as if it cant shift. No error lights, shaking along with sputtering when it has a load.....very dangerous as I drive major highway daily. Has been happening more frequently now

- Torrington, CT, USA

Jul 182016

Edge

When I was driving to work all of a sudden my airbag and wrench light came on and I have no speedometer or tachometer reading. If I pulled over and starting driving again I had very little pickup even though the rpms were over 2,000. There is also a very loud clunk when you put it in drive or reverse.

- Menasha, WI, USA

Jul 062016

Edge

On approximately 7/6/2016, while in motion, traveling North on riverside drive -I-55 North, on the 2-lane overpass at I-55 & mclemore, 18 wheeler was to the right and I was behind another motorist in line and traveling about 70 mph with a line of vehicles behind, it was after work rush hour 4:45pm; when as I am driving the vehicle sputters, seemed to it lose power, decelerates in the middle of on going traffic. The engine light flashed and then stayed illuminated, I could not accelerate in order get off to the side of the highway and traffic was at a very fast flow. My sync system surged, A-C stopped blowing cold air, the vehicle started "missing" but the vehicle did not shut off. Took the vehicle to advance auto parts store and was told that I had a misfire in 3 of the ignition coils, bought replacement coils and had all 6 of them replaced. Start the vehicle and the engine light was cleared but came right back, the vehicle is still miss firing on the exact same coils this time along with the PCM. Out of hundreds of dollars at the moment and it looks like I will be out of $3000 to Ford for an issue that they know is faulty within the design of the computer. We've already paid $30,000 for the vehicle, why would Ford not recall and repair these issues if they are aware of it"??"

- Horn Lake, MS, USA

Feb 012014

Edge

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While driving various speeds, the engine revved as if the contact were driving more than 70 mph. There were no warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The failure occurred on numerous occasions and the vehicle experienced a loss of power. The contact felt unsafe driving the vehicle. The manufacturer and the dealer were notified. The vehicle was not repaired. When the vehicle was placed on the machine for diagnostic testing, no failure codes were distributed to determine the cause of the failure. The failure mileage was 101,000. Updated 09/27/16

- Sanford, NC, USA

Jun 242016

Edge

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 70 mph, the instrument panel illuminated and the speedometer fluctuated down to zero. The contact maneuvered the vehicle to the side of the road and restarted it after ten minutes. The contact stated that an abnormal sound emitted from the transmission area after the vehicle was restarted. The vehicle was shifted into the drive position and operated normally. The failure recurred several times in the past year. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

Jun 102016

Edge

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle began to jerk and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the ignition coil exploded and damaged the PCM. Multiple coils and the PCM needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 84,781.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

May 202016

Edge

I own a 2008 Edge with approx. 150,000 miles on it. The car has stalled on me 3 times in the last 3-4 months. The first time the car stalled I was on the freeway during rush hour. Thankfully I was able to restart the care and move it off to the side of the freeway before it stalled again. After having it towed, I was told that the water pump had cracked. The water pump involved a lot of labor and cost me about $1100-$1200 with the tow. About a week later, I was again driving on the freeway and the car stalled. Again, I was able to make my way off the freeway before the car died completely. Once again, I had to have the care towed. This time, I was told that the engine appeared to have coolant in the oil and created a murky goo. My engine needed to be replaced. Another $2200. The last incident was Friday, May 20th. I had no indication there was a problem of any kind. I literally drove less than half a mile when the care overheated and stalled. I called and emailed Ford to see if I could get any assistance, but have either have had no response or an email indicating that if the car is not under warranty or if no recalls have been issued, I would be responsible for any work that needs to be done. I contacted the dealership where I purchased the car, but have not received a response. I am out of money and options. I have been without a car for almost two weeks and feel incredibly frustrated by this situation. I find it absurd that a vehicle would get a blown engine with no warning and that a recall has not been issued. I am facing another $1200 or so in vehicle repairs.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Apr 162016

Edge

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While at a stop light and making a left turn, the contact heard a grinding noise emerging from the engine compartment. The vehicle stalled. While attempting to start the vehicle, all the warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle did not start. After approximately one minute, the vehicle started, surged, and then stalled completely. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the water pump failed and damaged the engine. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Ft Worth, TX, USA

Feb 252014

Edge

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle decelerated to 5 mph to 10 mph. The wrench warning indicator illuminated and the odometer reading reduced to zero. The engine revved rapidly. The vehicle also backfired. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. After restarting, the vehicle resumed normal operation. The failure recurred numerous times and became progressively worse over a period of time. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Roseville, MI, USA

Feb 222016

Edge

Transmission, and transfer-case leaking directly on the exhaust right by the manifold and professional stated it was severe fire hazard and not drive it, and also the rear main engine oil seal is leaking. The dealership was aware of all the issues and manipulated me as a female into purchasing the vehicle. The dealership argued that they were not responsible and that I had a 3 month 3,000 mile warranty when in fact my purchase agreement stated it was as is. Which means they lied to me. The transmission shop who inspected my vehicle stated that the leaks have been ongoing for quite sometime before I even purchased the car. I just purchased this vehicle in October of 2015 and already have made six payments and now I am paying for something that I can not even drive because it was not repaired correctly the first time so it had to be returned again. It is going on the fourth week. I do have a loner but I have already spent over $300 in gas. I only have one vehicle at this time and that is the Ford Edge and it is very upsetting to think that I have made 3 complaints regarding this issues to the Ford Motor Company about the fire hazard issue and have had no satisfaction or results other then they claim it the dealers problem. I have done numerous research about his particular vehicle, and there are thousands of issues regarding the transmission leak on the exhaust as a fire hazard. Is this going to be like General Motors, and wait for someones car to actually catch fire"?? or is it going to be like General Motors and wait for someone to be killed before they will do anything about it" my vehicle is not the only one. There are thousands of complaints out there regarding the same exact issue. I am basically paying for a car that I cannot drive at all.

- Auburn, MI, USA

Jan 292016

Edge

Car loses all power unexpectedly and randomly, at any and all speeds, anywhere, anytime, displaying odo data error, transmission violently shakes into gears, car revs up but does not accelarate, upon turning car off, removing key, opening door, reinserting and restarting car (if you managed to safely pull on the side of the road), all error displays disappear, transmission clunks in gear and car needs to be forced to rev up to reset, once it resets car drives normally again till next failure. Ford dealers unable to diagnose problem as it leaves no codes. First time charged $800 for "possible" cause that wasn't, now $1700 as PCM melted and took along with it all ignition coils. Guess what, odo data error and transmission trouble still present. Both the Ford company and you people at the NHTSA need to step up to the plate and if Ford doesn't voluntarily recall the Edge, you ought to force them to recall it before someone gets mauled. This auto defect is an absolute danger to the operator and anyone else on the road.

- Union, NJ, USA

Oct 072014

Edge

Beneath the drivers seat, there is a loud sound that resignates throughout the vehicle. Also the electrical panel had to be replaced and sensors go off periodically.

- Plano, TX, USA

Aug 122015

Edge

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 20 mph, the engine revved up to 7,000 rpms per minute. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road with caution and the engine was turned off. After restarting, the rpms increased rapidly. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who stated that the throttle body would need to be replaced. The vehicle was currently being repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 49,000.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Aug 242015

Edge

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle experienced a loss of acceleration and the odometer went blank as there was a sudden increase of engine rpms. The contact mentioned that the wrench light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Choctaw, OK, USA

Jun 112013

Edge

While driving on freeway with children in car on freeway, car suddenly made a hard sound, speedometer dropped to 0 instantly, all dash board lights came on, RPM stayed between 2 and 3, once traffic slowed and accelerator was eased off of car began to slow and would not pick back up speed when pressed again- even when pushed all the way down. I pulled over to the shoulder and turned the engine off. Then turned it back on. Then I tried to put it into gear. The engine sound as if gas was being given to engine from accelerator and RPM was stuck at 2-3, when put into gear, car jolted really hard and moved ever so slowely when I tried to drive it back into traffic to get my family off freeway, even when I pressed pedal all the way to the floor, car barely moved. I had to keep trying multiple times to turn engine off, try to put it in gear, and get car going just to get it off freeway to safety. Car eventually pulled into gear and drove normally after several tries. A single mother, with infant and older child on board, on a very busy freeway is very, scary scary scary. This happens often on either the freeway (driving fast) or driving out of the park's parking lot at slow pace. Car slips out of gear or something and will not accelerate when I give it gas.

- Chatswirth, CA, USA