Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

2008 Ford Edge miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Edge:

2008 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 212010

2008 Ford Edge - the brakes have a severe grinding/vibrating noise for the first 5-10 times I brake after the car has been turned off for several hours/overnight. This seems to be worse the colder the outside temperature, although this happens in all weather, either 50 degree or 80 degree weather. This started to happen around 10K miles and I took it into the dealer, they said they couldn't duplicate the issue and the brakes are fine. After it got worse each month and now at 18K miles I took it again into the dealer (sunnyvale Ford) and they duplicated the problem but told me that Ford has a technical service bulletin issued for it but they claim this isn't a safety issue so they have no fix. I checked and didn't see a tsb when I searched the web for my 2008 Edge. The dealer said I have to brake hard several times and then it'll go away but they said the issue could come back. The dealer said they've had this braking issues with many other Ford Edge's. not just mine. After getting my car back this week I've noticed that the braking noise/vibration still happens. I'm concerned this could be a safety issue and/or defect that could lead to me not knowing when to differentiate brake grinding/vibrating noises from being harmless or potentially fatal. Also, I've read and heard of many other Ford Edge owners with this same complaint. Please contact me for any followup questions. Thank you.

- Mountain View, CA, USA

Dec 182008

The 2008 Ford Edge's automatic transmission doesn't engage properly. When on any incline or decline, the car will roll when in gear. Ford states this isn't a "problem" its a "redesign". when the vehicle is put into drive or reverse, you have to hit the gas for the car to move, it doesn't start rolling when you let off of the brake. If you are backing up a hill in reverse and you let off the brake, the vehicle rolls forward while in reverse, it doesn't pull the car backwards still. If a child runs in front of your car while you're backing up and your head is still turned looking back and when you let off the gas to press the brake to shift from reverse to drive, that child or person could be killed. The transmission could also cause an accident in heavy traffic since you have to hit the gas and brake quickly. My wife was backing up in the rain and had to press the gas pedal to get going backwards and her 2008 Ford Edge accelerated too much and she hit my truck and after she had hit my truck that is when the backup sensors went off. There are many people that have brought this to Ford's attention and the possible dangers and everyone gets the same answer from Ford all over the country. Ford states "this isn't a problem, this is a new design and each of us are the first ones to have a problem and no one else has complained about it". someone should seriously look into the 2008 Ford Edge automatic transmission before someone is killed.

- Alabaster, AL, USA