2011 Ford Edge drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

Jun 042015

6/4/2015 I was driving on the highway 70 mph and there was a slight jolt, the wrench light came on and I lost all acceleration. I was able to pull over and put it in park. I would press on the gas pedal and there was nothing. The car would idle very rough. After I would turn it off and back on I was able to drive it again. Spoke with the dealership and they said it could just be bad gas. They said unless another light comes on other than the wrench there would be nothing they can do in order to diagnose the problem. This would periodically happen every other day until this weekend it happened to me 14 times just this weekend... 3 of these times were this morning while driving 70 mph on my way to work. I was driving downhill and no accelerator and look in the mirror and there was an 18 wheeler behind me who jackknifed around my car since there was no shoulder to pull over on. This is a very very big problem! talked to the dealership this morning and they can't get me in for 4 days. They said regardless what the problem is, it would not be covered under warranty since there was no recalls. I'm finding this is a problem with many Ford Edges...

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Jun 042015

My wife and I were driving with our two young children (4-year-old, and six months) our 2011 Ford Edge and without any notice, the car jerked forward and we lost all power in the accelerator. Fortunately, I was able to pull off to the side of the road without getting in an accident, but was almost rear-ended by the car behind me. The power train wrench was flashing and said to consult the manual, so we did. Following the instructions, I shut the car off and restarted it. It took a lot longer to turn over, but it eventually did. We called our dealership and they said that I could bring the car in today (four days later). The Edge did this two more times over the weekend so I googled the issue and found this site. I printed off the first four pages of complaints and took it with me to the dealership. They wouldn't even look at it. They told me that "had to recreate the issue" or they wouldn't be able to do anything to fix it. They proposed that I let them keep the vehicle for five days and let them try it every day. Absolutely not. With all these documented issues and Ford being unwilling to do anything about it unless it happens to them, if they can't get it to happen today, we will be done with Ford forever. I'm highly disturbed by the amount of issues that are clearly documented here without any kind of recall or, at mimimum, guidance given to Ford techs about this issue.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

May 142015

Our family was driving on a heavily traveled bridge at 40mph and the vehicle immediately lost all power and idled roughly, forcing us to travel on the bridge at just a few miles an hour with our four-way flashers on until we reached the side of the road. A wrench appeared on the computer screen with the message AWD off. My husband turned the vehicle off and then back on and it ran fine until we drove it again and same thing happened. We are fearful for our safety and beg Ford to recall. I visited several websites and saw way too many consumers with this same serious safety issue. We are going to get it evaluated by a mechanic tomorrow and pray that we are able to safely drive it to the garage.

- South Williamsport, PA, USA

Apr 112015

On April 11, 2015, the throttle body assembly on the engine of my 2011 Ford Edge failed while in heavy traffic at highway speed on a 6-lane highway. I was traveling in the inside lane when the failure occurred. There was no power to the engine, and I coasted quickly across 2 lanes to a right turn lane. Fortunately, everyone reacted positively to my emergency flashers as I decelerated. On Monday, April 13, the local Ford dealership repaired the car. After returning home, I checked the internet for information on this failure mode and was surprised to read that Ford had a couple years earlier settled a NHTSA complaint for several Ford models that exhibited the problem my car experienced. The Ford Edge was not part of the settlement. Further research revealed other Ford Edges with the same problem as mine. Apparently, Ford won a partial settlement on the throttle body issue. The failure mode is as dangerous as the General Motors ignition switch failure. Both the GM and Ford failure modes result in the same manner complete loss of power and a hope to make it safely to stop. Recognizing that others are having problems similar to me, shouldn't the NHTSA reexamine this Ford problem. In my case I'm just thankful my wife wasn't driving the car. She was with me when the failure occurred and claimed she would not have known how to react. Do you really want to wait until we have as many deaths as GM experienced with their ignition switch failure before acting?

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Mar 012015

Edge 6-cyl

I was driving vehicle up a slight grade at 30mph. Engine power suddenly dropped to an idle RPM. It felt like it was running on 1 cylinder and very rough. I was able to "creep" the car to the side of road. Pressing on the accelerator in neutral or drive had no effect. A "wrench" warning icon appeared on the indicator panel. Shutting off and restarting the car allowed us to drive home. This occurred two times within 2 miles. The car will be taken to the dealer today for repairs. This same scenario (less than 270 miles prior) occurred as my wife accelerated away from our home 3 weeks prior. The owners manual indicated it was an AWD issue. My car does not have that feature.the car was taken to the dealer who indicated it was a transmission problem covered by a service bulletin and reprogrammed the transmission computer. Prior to these engine incidents the car had acted odd when shifting, as though it popped in and out of gear. This is a safety concern and so far we have been lucky because it happened each time in low traffic conditions.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Feb 132015

I was driving and all of a sudden the vehicle started idling high and sputtering. Then the check engine light came on. The engine just shut off. Luckily there was no one behind me. I could have been rear-ended. This is third time this has happened. The first time it happened I took it to Ford and they said there was no code to tell them what was wrong with it. They replace the throttle body sensor and check engine light was gone, but a few hours later it came back on and it stalled on me again. I wasted a couple of hundred dollars to end up right back where I was before with a very unsafe vehicle. If I could afford to get another vehicle, I would. I am afraid to drive this vehicle. Something has to be done before someone is injured or killed.

- Accokeek, MD, USA

Oct 172012

Leak from power transfer unit 11/16/2012 #2 ptu still leaking and found metal shavings #3 1/5/2015 transmission slipping needed a new separator plate and new intake gasket and brake booster repair.

- Martinez , CA, USA

Dec 162014

Coming out of an underground parking garage and the vehicle suddenly stopped and I received an orange wrench error message stating AWD off. The vehicle would not engage in a drivable gear. I had to drift to a spot where I could be out of the line of traffic, at which time I stopped the vehicle/brakedp; shifted into park, and turned off the ignition. Upon re-starting the vehicle, it appeared to resolve. Upon doing research, I recently took the vehicle to the Ford service dept and they reset the transmission computer as I had been experiencing slips or rough starts when driving/accelerating over the last 2-3 months. The incident described above occurred approximately 2.5 weeks after that service visit.

- Wylie, TX, USA

Oct 222014

Edge 6-cyl

I was driving my 2011 Ford Edge down a busy high traffic area going 45 mph and my car started shaking the tool light came on the dashboard and it just stopped in the middle of the road, someone almost rear ended me people were honking, I still had all power but my acceleration just stopped, pulled over to the side with the emergency flashes on turned the car off and sat for a minute I restarted it and drove it home, it did the exact same thing two days later. I called my extended warranty company and proceeded to take it to the dealership. I told them after doing research I thought it was the throttle body. They checked it out and said it was a bad mass sensor, fixed it and said I was good to go. I picked up the car and two days later it did the same thing, car shook, tool light came on, then I lost acceleration, coasted into a parking lot, happened 2 more times again. I took it back to the dealership they said no codes were coming up so they couldn't fix anything. I said well obviously something is wrong, I suggested the throttle body they said no codes came up, nothing they can do, again I said something is wrong its not safe to drive! he said unless the code comes up Ford will not let them replace anything. I asked him what the solution is he had nothing. He said unless it happens while they test drove it there is nothing they can do. So im stuck with a faulty car with no solutions.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Oct 132014

Edge 6-cyl

During driving my 2011 Ford Edge the engine stalled without warning. The stall occurred at an approximate driving speed of 30 mph in the middle of the roadway. A light depicting a wrench shown on the instrument cluster display along with a message to consult manual. At the time this happened, I turned off the car and restarted it to see if I could get it going again before I got hit by a car. The car did start and then drove normally. I looked in the manual and found the wrench icon to indicate a powertrain defect. Since this was a driving hazard, I had it towed to the dealer. The onboard computer was accessed and the code C-P2111 was diagnosed. I was told that this was a defective throttle body and that it would be replaced. A new part was installed and I have driven the car approximately 250 miles and it so far has not repeated the same stalling. It does not, however, maintain consistent rpms while idling. A couple of times they dipped down low enough that I thought the car was going to die at a traffic light. I took it back to the dealer and they said they could find nothing wrong. I disagree--I didn't have this problem prior to the installation of the throttle body. I am making this complaint because this issue is a severe problem that could cause someone to lose their life if the car stalled on the freeway. When it stalls, the car doesn't slowly coast along, it abruptly stops. This may be the same part that is in other Ford vehicles for which a recall has been made, but so far there has been no bulletin on the Ford Edge for the throttle body defect.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 172014

While driving on the highway at 70 mph, the car suddenly jerked and quickly lost speed, and the wrench light came on. I attempted to press the gas pedal, however nothing reacted, the car wouldn't accelerate. After turning on the hazard lights, I was able to creep to the shoulder and on then onto the off-ramp where I restarted the car. Initially everything worked; I was able to accelerate, but shortly after the jerking/loss of speed happened again. After calling my husband to meet me where I was stranded, I called my insurance company to active roadside assistance. Our car was towed to a local Ford shop where they told us that our electronic fuel throttle failed and had to been replaced at just about $900 (plus the tow).

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Oct 232014

Edge 6-cyl

Throttle body keeps faulting out and loosing power to the vehicle acceleration. Causing me a lot of trouble and I am a single father trying to raise for kids. I am very upset with Ford right now!!

- Auburn, IN, USA

Oct 182014

Edge 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the wrench warning light and the AWD off warning mesasge illuminated as the vehicle decelerated independently. The contact mentioned that shortly after the vehicle stalled. After restarting the engine the vehicle operated as normal. The contact indicated that the failure had occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 37,000. Pam updated 12/30/14 the consumer stated since reporting the failure the vehicle was repaired. It was found that the throttle body was the cause of the failure. Updated 9/25/15

- Watsontown, PA, USA

Oct 062014

While driving in poway at 45 mph with only less than a one minute warning of an orange color wrench light showing up. My Ford Edge lost all power 100% including brakes, accelerator you name it the power was lost. So I then took it to the dealership on 10/7/2014 after they had it for 2 full days. They said we cannot determine what it was the service man even stated that they attached it to diagnostic computer and were unable to determine what was wrong. Then gave me paperwork and told me if it happens again to bring it back and sure enough it did on 10/15/14 while I was on the 52 freeway the same thing. Please help me and my family have Ford address this problem this car is unsafe for my family as well as others on the road there is no telling when all power is going to be last 100%.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 102014

Edge 6-cyl

While driving through an intersection, vehicles stalled. "AWD fail" light exhibited. Turned off ignition and restarted. Second event, same circumstances, again had to coast to side of intersection to restart. Same indications. Took to dealership and diagnosed as throttle body failure. Had to be replaced. Concerns: (1) safety (2) throttle body should not be failing with this few miles (3) Ford forum indicates that this is a recurring issue with other Ford Edge vehicles. But there has been no recall or extended warranty.

- Viera, FL, USA

Oct 092014

Edge 6-cyl

I was driving my vehicle up a slight grade at 40mph approximately 5pm on a Thursday. All of a sudden, the power to the engine abruptly came to a significant drop in speed. All the way down to 1mph. I pressed on the accelerator, and the engine had no response. The car kept moving forward, but only the max speed of 1mph. The engine was running/sounding rough and was slightly shaky. My vehicle appeared to be running normally all day and there were no prior warnings indicating the car needed to be taken to the dealer. As soon as the vehicle abruptly lost all that power, the little yellow wrench symbol (indicating powertrain/AWD issues) appeared and the words no AWD. I have never experienced this before. This is a huge safety concern and I was extremely lucky (as well as my two passengers) that this did not occur on a major highway or there was many cars right behind me. This very well could have resulted in a major crash!!! especially if I was going 65mph on our major highways with heaving traffic. Thankfully, I was less than.5 miles from home and managed to get home without incident. I parked my vehicle in front of the house. I turned off the engine and waited a minute and restarted it. The engine seemed to run heavy at first, then idled down. I put it in drive and it moved forward and I drove it about 1-2 feet and put it in reverse. It seemed to be fine. I have not drove it since, nor will I until the matter is resolved. I am having it towed to the Ford dealership. I am not going to risk that happening again until the issue(s) are resolved.

- Montclair, VA, USA

Oct 112014

My Edge driving along about 35mph and warning lite came on AWD off w/a wrench lite, quick jerk then unable to accelerate. Was able to get to side of road @ 1mph engine was shaking car stalled. Sat for about 15/20min started right up.. but know also have a very loud humming noise.

- Pawlet, VT, USA

Oct 102014

Edge 6-cyl

While driving down a busy 4 lane road in wilmington nc, the service powertrain engine light came one. At that point, there was no longer any power to the wheels of the vehicle. The only thing that could be done was to steer to the median and shut down the car. This created a very dangerous condition in which the driver was unable to actively continue safely to the side of the road. When the car was restarted, the error was cleared. No code was subsequently available to be pulled. At a later point, the code was pulled while, once again in limp mode on the side of the road. The code pulled was P2111. This error, when active, creates a very dangerous condition and should be addressed by Ford.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Jun 142014

I have had multiple incidents of my car going from the speed I am traveling to where I am no longer able to accelerate which causes my car to loose speed very fast. A yellow wrench icon comes on everytime I have this issue. My car begins to shake and I am forced to have to shut my car off and wait a moment before I can restart my car. It went from once every two weeks to a week to multiple times a day. My hour drive turns into my car dieing up to 14 times just one way. This is beyond unsafe cause in rush hour traffic its nearly impossible to make it safely to a shoulder to shut off my car. There was one day where my check engine light came on and I was not able to drive it for a day. My car is 3 years old with 80K miles on it, this is not normal and shouldnt be happening. My car has been tested and the readings were on the throttle body module. I have not taken it to a shop yet because I should not have to pay for a faulty part that Ford hasnt issued a recall on and repaired without money coming out of my pocket.

- Barnhart, MO, USA

Sep 282014

Edge 6-cyl

While driving down a local 4-lane road, the 2011 Ford Edge lost power, became unresponsive to the accelerator pedal, and the "wrench" symbol appeared on the instrument panel. The car would still move forward (perhaps 5 mph or less), and we were able get the flashers on and to park on a side road. The situation was very difficult as we had to cross a lane of traffic at low speed, where traffic normally moves at 40-50 mph. After looking in this data base and at other internet sources, this problem seems to be relatively common to the Ford Edge, but we have not received a recall letter about it.

- Kingwood, TX, USA