3.3

2011 Ford Edge miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 4 of 8)

Apr 262016

Edge

Driver side door ajar indicator light coming on. When this light is on it causes the interior dome lights to stay on, making driving at night very difficult. It also doesn't allow the doors to be locked which is a huge safety concern for me as I travel with my 1 and 2 year old girls often. When the car is off and I lock the door with the key fob, if the sensor is on the horn will honk twice. This will cause not only my interior lights to stay on but also my exterior light. Needless to say I've had to replace a few batteries. The 1st time I reported this to my dealer my car was under warranty and only happening occasionally, I was told to spray wd-40 on the lock latch and that would help. Now its a constant thing and of course the car is out of warranty. Ugh I just want to feel safe with my children in the car.

- Morrisville, PA, USA

Feb 042016

Edge

Back camera not working properly, doors will not lock properly, fear for children and door unlocked

- Madison Heights, VA, USA

Mar 122011

Edge

Drivers door ajar light shows active when door is fully closed. Automatic locks fail, interior light remains on. There are numerous complaints about this that have been verified at my local dealership. I have contacted Ford customer relations, as did the service repair manager, and they have offered no assistance to repair this problem.

- Canyon Country, CA, USA

Apr 232016

Edge

Door locks contain faulty "door ajar" sensors. They falsely report the door is open when it is properly latched, preventing you from locking the doors while inside the vehicle while stationary. When the vehicle is moving they will trip to "door is ajar" turning on the dome lighting and unlocking the doors. I feel this is a safety hazard while moving, it allows young children to open the doors, regardless of the lock switch settings.

- Rockledge, FL, USA

Edge

Ford Edge latch door ajar dome lights stay on and unable to lock vehicle doors

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Edge

The driver door ajar warning and passenger door ajar warning comes on when the doors are not ajar, and doors will not lock, it happens when you put the car in gear. This is a safety issue.

- Watertown, SD, USA

Edge

I purchased my 2011 Ford Edge new several years ago. My warranty just recently expired, and I purchased an extended warranty. Recently my passenger door ajar light kept coming on. I didn't pay much attention to it; honestly just thought it was a sensor and I would take it in to get looked at. Eventually the light stayed on all the time, and even made my interior light stay on as well. I took it to my local Ford dealership this week, and it is not the door sensor, but the door latch. This is not covered under my warranty, and I will be paying $430 to get it fixed. The part only is $380. I am furious. I have read on numerous sites that this is a common issue with Ford Edge's. they really should recall this.

- Mason, OH, USA

Dec 012015

Edge

Door sensor, latch issues. Known problem with Ford vehicles. Door ajar stays on which drains the battery hence the dome lights stay on. My Ford Edge will not lock, causing very dangerous circumstances when driving or stopped at a light in an area that is unsafe. Will not lock while parked, in drive (on highway or road) or with the ignition turned off. I was over my warranty by 1,000 miles and Ford customer service refused to help me, told me to take it in and pay for the work and service call and submit a claim.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Jan 152016

Edge

The driver side door ajar sensor is faulty and keeps the door ajar warning on the dash, it also keeps the dome lights on in the car which can obstruct sight during night time driving, it also runs the battery down causing us to continuously start the car or let the battery completely die, it also keeps the doors from locking which could result in my car being broken into. This warning stays on almost always whether the car is stationary or being driven.

- Sellersburg, IN, USA

Nov 132015

Edge

It's my 2011 Ford Edge sel. The driver ajar light stays on all the time no matter how hard I slam the door. This situation is unsafe because while driving it leaves all the doors unsecured. This is not right, anyone could come at the lights or stop signs and open up the vehicle. Also it not safe for the kids. This is a big security issue that needs to be looked into.

- Balch Springs, TX, USA

Feb 022016

Edge

The driver door ajar switch will not sense the door is shut when the vehicle is stationary. The light will not go out after repeated shutting. When backing out of my garage, I cannot see when it is dark because the interior lights blind the driver. I am fearful I will hit someone while backing up. When driving forward, the lights go out around 15 mph. The door ajar switch is on every time the door is shut.

- Marysville, PA, USA

Mar 152014

Edge

The sensor in the drivers side door has malfunctioned and the "driver door ajar" message is on all the time. This also prevents the doors from locking. Ford knew of this issue while my vehicle was under warranty and did not replace the sensor. After minimal research I have found this is a known issue with 2011/2012 Ford Edges but no recall has been issued. This initially started in 2014 but the Ford service department "scraped the plates" which worked for about 9 months, until my vehicle was outside of the 36000 mile warranty.

- Waukee, IA, USA

Mar 102015

Edge

In February of 2015 my Ford Edge started to have issues with the driver door ajar even when the door was definitely closed which causes the vehicle to not be able to lock and stay locked, as well as for dome light staying on. I had the door shocked by Ford and it worked for less than a year, once again the driver door ajar is happening and I'm unable to keep my door locked while in the vehicle and driving and my dome light will consistently stay on.

- Otis, ME, USA

Mar 012016

Edge

Takata recall. The driver door ajar light stays on at all times. Will not go off no matter how many times you shut the door, the dome light stays on, runds the battery dead. I have tried every thing including wd 40. I believe it is the sensor but I am not a mechanic so.... I have googled this issue and it seems that everyone that owns a Ford Edge has this issue. I can not believe there is not a recall on this issue.my driver door has at times not latched completely. I believe this is a safety issue as I am driving on the freeway and have small children. Ford needs to get their act together and recall this issue for every one that owns a Ford Edge. I have bought Ford for years. This will be my last. This issue is everytime you enter the vehicle. Stationary, driving, freeway, highway, turning. This has been going on for months now. Has been a continuing problem for several months.

- Caldwell, ID, USA

Feb 022016

Edge

The driver side door latch will not latch properly causing the door ajar light to stay on. The door shuts and locks but the door ajar light stays on. When the vehicle is in motion the car will not lock all the doors because it is sensing that the front door is not shut. The interior lights stay on causing it hard to see at night while driving.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Dec 272015

Edge

The door ajar alarm on the passenger door will not turn off even though the door is shut. This causes the door lock not to engage and the inside lights to stay on even while driving. I don't have a way to lock my doors, even manually.

- Poplar Grove, IL, USA

Feb 012016

Edge

Switch on shifter that tells the computer whether the car is in park or running malfunctioned. Component requires replacement of the entire shifter and has the ability to cause the vehicle not to start since it never registers that it is in part when stopped. Backup camera linkage failure rendering the back camera inoperative. The vehicle was stationary but problem with shifter switch reporting the car not in park could result in the car not cutting off or stopping when running. To fix these malfunctions and failures cost over $900 dollars. These are engineering defects not owner related.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

May 152015

Edge

Driver door ajar light stays on! had it to the dealership to be cleaned. Cost $200, less than 6 months later same problem. Safety issues because of this; dome lights stay on until a certain speed is reached, doors do not stay locked while in motion. Many of these SUVS have this problem. Very much a safety issue. Ford needs to step up and be responsible for addressing this safety concern!

- North Fond Du Lac, WI, USA

Dec 032015

Edge

Door ajar alert comes on while driving (car in motion) - doors unlock, overhead lights turn on. I stop, open/shut door firmly continue driving and receive the same message later in the drive. I have on several recent occasions received this alert while stationary. This is occurring off and on but now has become more common. The door is shut but the alert comes on at a variety of intervals and when in motion the doors unlock and the lights overhead come in which can be dangerous in and distracting. Most recent occurrence 12/3/15

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Aug 012015

Edge

The door ajar indicator remains on. The dome light stays on and the doors will not lock. 2nd occurrence with this vehicle and now the dealer wants $500 to repair it. This occurs immediately when the vehicle is first started and remains on the entire time the vehicle is running.

- Louisville, KY, USA